Vert roof breakdown - flaps in trunk area - MyG37

Vert roof breakdown - flaps in trunk area

Old 07-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #1  
cyberBeach

Vert roof breakdown - flaps in trunk area

2011 G37S vert, only 27k miles.

Roof got stuck partially retracted with alert, "Trunk open". When I checked it out, there are two flaps that fold in on the inside rear of the roof. There is a slot that holds each flap left and right in place. The right hand flap was not being held so it hung down.

I was able to return the top to closed by having someone hold the close button in the car while I held the right flap closed (very carefully!).

Assuming this has to go to dealer?

Infiniti Santa Monica is closed. Infiniti Beverly Hills is new. I called but they didn't have a loaner car. Sort of resisted my request as well, but I'm not sitting in the dealer for 2 days waiting for a convertible top part. They said they would call me back when a loaner was available, but close to a week - no call. I could also try Infiniti Van Nuys. I don't think Nissan service would be good for a convertible roof?
cyberBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 AM   #2  
bigc

Try the folks at OC Infiniti. I've found them to be good to deal with and they're also vendors/sponsors on several of the G/Z forums.
bigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #3  
cyberBeach

So I took my 2011 27k miles G37S to Infiniti of Beverly Hills - closest now that Santa Monica dealership closed. FYI I found out that Roundtree owns Van Nuys, Beverly Hills, and Torrance.

The problem is the "Dumbo Ears", two small flaps that are supposed to fold back and stay folded when the top is closed. One of them was not staying closed.

Service called me just now and said that the Rear Finisher Assembly has to be replaced.

$800.

They also recommended $189 to replace the battery which failed the cold-start test. I declined that because I'm not having battery problems.

They also offered to replace the rear brake rotors which they said are at 4mm and 3mm is the recommended replacement point. Since I have a loaner and all of the Infiniti dealers are close to an hour away, I requested that. I think it was 2 or 300 bucks.
cyberBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #4  
Marc G37

Thanks for posting this. Same exact problem less than 2 days after purchase of a used 2011 G37 Base with 65K miles.
Marc G37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 AM   #5  
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc G37 View Post
Thanks for posting this. Same exact problem less than 2 days after purchase of a used 2011 G37 Base with 65K miles.
I think I have the same problem. Has anyone here attempted to fix it yourself? Thoughts appreciated.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:50 AM   #6  
Av8shunmeckanec

Same issue here. 2013 vert and the right flap is dangling. When I push it back into place I can feel gears skipping but it wont stay in place. I want to fix it myself but cant find out which part it is using the online part catalogs. Is there something I am missing in the IPC? Cars are weird as they dont appear to standardized in regards to MM and IPC chapters.
Av8shunmeckanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #7  
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8shunmeckanec View Post
Same issue here. 2013 vert and the right flap is dangling. When I push it back into place I can feel gears skipping but it wont stay in place. I want to fix it myself but cant find out which part it is using the online part catalogs. Is there something I am missing in the IPC? Cars are weird as they dont appear to standardized in regards to MM and IPC chapters.
this is exactly what I was wondering too! In my case itís the right flap. I push it back up and it stays in place but falls back down when I close the trunk. Really hoping someone has experienced this before and maybe Iíll get lucky and itís just something I can tighten on my own or replace. Maybe Iím too hopeful . Iím having a lot of trouble figuring out which part it is from the diagrams I googled.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #8  
Purple

Posted this on g35driver on FB too....still no luck or replies....
Old 04-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #9  
corey.grizzle

Dealer replaced mine. I had searched to see if I could find a part to replace. You'd think you could just replace a stripped gear or something. Replaced under warranty though, so I thankfully didn't have to pay for the $800 assembly.
corey.grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM   #10  
crawdad8796

Had the same problem at 50K miles with my 2009 vert. Between that, trunk struts, and throttle body, and a few other minor repairs my extended warranty has now paid for itself. I highly recommend it. Warranty was 2300 for 5 years, 100K miles total. Dealer let me pay it off over 12 mos, and can be cancelled for a refund of remaining value at any time before expiration. I did this after main roof latch broke and dealer wanted 1900 to replace ($1300 part). Luckily I found the part for 550.
crawdad8796 is offline   Reply With Quote