mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible

Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lier200a
This thread seemed to have died... LOL

Bembowe, I had battery issues and I ended up getting a new one at dealership. Now the freezing/stopping of the roof ended so I'm a little weary of using the FOB, I did ask in the other thread (single touch roof top) about battery maintainer...

As far as the windows up, the service at mods4cars is aboslutely wonderful. Stefan is working on the window issue and I hope he finds a solution quick!

Loving the module thus far!!
Ha ha, the thread is not dead yet, just taking a long nap until the window up issue is resolved, then the excitement starts again .

I am glad that your battery issue got resolved and also curious about the maintainer, if it uses solar, where can you mount it.

Maybe its just my mind playing tricks on my but this morning, the top seemed to have dropped faster with the car on than with it off. I think I would have to get a timer and check it out.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Shane D
I think the Fob will work fine for dropping the roof as you walk towards the car. As I stated elsewhere, I would not get into the habit of doing multiple cycles without turning the engine on.
If these units were known to drain batteries, the company would not have lasted this long or have such a strong following world wide. Feel free to search the Porsche and MB forums and ask about them (I don't think I am allowed to link to other forums).

I have a long weekend coming up and I am looking forward to a FULL detail (clean, clay bar, polish, wax , etc). Planning/hoping to have the module next weekend to do that too.
Did the interior today, including adding the leather smell.
MMMMmmmm smells like a brand new car!!

Shane D
Shane, like you said in the other thread, use in moderation. but the feature is so cool and convenient to use that am always prone to use it. For example for now, every morning, I will use the top button to put down the top rather than the fob since am in no hurry to get out.

Yesterday, I was driving with a friend and had the top up when we park and when coming back she notice the top was down all of a sudden. she was like I thought the top was up, what happened. I was like, its magic, lol. Told her I can do it remotely. But I found it so convenient as i really dont have to wait anymore. The ride is in the state that I want it when i get to it.

By the way, a little off subject, what are you using for the new leather smell, I have been using the lexol but not sure if thats cutting, i still want that new leather smell, like when I first go the ride.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
PaperMaker
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stevelam
got mine last week. didnt install it yet either.let me know how it goes. i may attempt it myself if its really easy.
Received mine Friday, and got around to installing it today. Between Bembow's pictures and the factory install manual there is more than enough information for anyone to install.

Things I found: I had to straddle the center armrest and bury my left shoulder into the center of the back seat area to see behind the back left panel - have a flashlight handy & a towel to cover the bolts sticking up through the floorpan. I spent 30 mins trying to unplug the factory wiring harness - look at the connectors in the kit & it becomes obvious how to release them.

Everything works as advertised, I wish I was closer to NJ than South Mississippi (I'd loan my G out to research the front window issue in a heartbeat.)

PaperMaker
Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bembowe
Shane, like you said in the other thread, use in moderation. but the feature is so cool and convenient to use that am always prone to use it. For example for now, every morning, I will use the top button to put down the top rather than the fob since am in no hurry to get out.

By the way, a little off subject, what are you using for the new leather smell, I have been using the lexol but not sure if thats cutting, i still want that new leather smell, like when I first go the ride.
I will probably use it every day (weather permitting) after work.

For the smell I bought a jug (WAY too much, but that was all they had) of CHEMICAL GUYS Leather Scent. You can get it from Detailed Image and they are a pleasure to deal with!
Chemical Guys Leather Scent - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Shane D

PS: I am really hoping to get my module tomorrow or Thursday at the latest as Friday is a holiday up here.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaperMaker
Received mine Friday, and got around to installing it today. Between Bembow's pictures and the factory install manual there is more than enough information for anyone to install.

Things I found: I had to straddle the center armrest and bury my left shoulder into the center of the back seat area to see behind the back left panel - have a flashlight handy & a towel to cover the bolts sticking up through the floorpan. I spent 30 mins trying to unplug the factory wiring harness - look at the connectors in the kit & it becomes obvious how to release them.

Everything works as advertised, I wish I was closer to NJ than South Mississippi (I'd loan my G out to research the front window issue in a heartbeat.)

PaperMaker
Welcome to the vert forum.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Got mine today! Install this weekend.

Shane D
Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PaperMaker

PaperMaker
Welcome to the G Vert forum too PaperMaker. This Mod is just . Seems like this company should move out of NJ just so that we can loan of Gs to get this damn window taken care off.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:14 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

I will probably use it every day (weather permitting) after work.

For the smell I bought a jug (WAY too much, but that was all they had) of CHEMICAL GUYS Leather Scent. You can get it from Detailed Image and they are a pleasure to deal with!
Chemical Guys Leather Scent - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Shane D

PS: I am really hoping to get my module tomorrow or Thursday at the latest as Friday is a holiday up here.
Thanks Shane, looks like this is just a scent and not a conditioner, correct. so its applied after conditioning. I will probably take one for a test drive and see how it smells.

Got mine today! Install this weekend.

Shane D
Congrats, I bet you cant wait for the weekend to come thru. The installation should be easy with the exception removing the original factory connector. Just heads up on that, it will eventually come out.

Am sure you will let us know what you think about the module.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Smile

Thanks Shane, looks like this is just a scent and not a conditioner, correct. so its applied after conditioning. I will probably take one for a test drive and see how it smells.

TOTALLY separate product! I use Lexol to clean and condition. I spray the carpet under the seats to get the smell.

Congrats, I bet you cant wait for the weekend to come thru. The installation should be easy with the exception removing the original factory connector. Just heads up on that, it will eventually come out.

Am sure you will let us know what you think about the module.
Any tips on the tough connection? Such as "If I was doing it again I would..."

Shane D
Old 06-30-2011, 04:19 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Any tips on the tough connection? Such as "If I was doing it again I would..."

Shane D
hmmmm, I wouldnt have done much different. But get a friend to help out by holding the side panel so that you can use both hand to work with. Get a flat head screw driver to push the latch that secures the connector. Other than that, just dont get frustrated
Old 07-02-2011, 02:23 PM
PaperMaker
Registered Member

hmmmm, I wouldnt have done much different. But get a friend to help out by holding the side panel so that you can use both hand to work with. Get a flat head screw driver to push the latch that secures the connector. Other than that, just dont get frustrated
The lower plug is the more difficult one to remove (and less obvious on how to release.) After looking at it for a bit, I found the release was on the right side of the plug about 2/3 of the way down from the top. The release is where the connector meets the plug, you have to put a finger at the junction of the plug & connector to release it.

As bembowe says, a friend to hold the panel would be helpful (I held the panel back with my left hand, propped up a flashlight, and used my right hand to pull the plugs.)

Again, as bembowe mentioned, don't get frustrated. I could install another module in < 20 minutes, now that I've been through it once. At the time of my install the check I had just written kept popping into my mind, slowing me down...

PaperMaker
Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Question

Double post, but I wanted to be certain I reached somebody.

Did everybody do step 5? I can't as I seem to have no sensor box or wire coming from the top control unit to feed into said sensor box?

Am I missing something?

Shane D
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Double post, but I wanted to be certain I reached somebody.

Did everybody do step 5? I can't as I seem to have no sensor box or wire coming from the top control unit to feed into said sensor box?

Am I missing something?

Shane D
Shane,
the location of the sensor box was not located in the same place as in the diagram posted in the instructions and removal of it was only neccessary to game access to the connectors behind. You dont connect the module to this small plug. So I just ignored this part of the install.

Is the plug in yours in the same location as in the instructions?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Smile

Shane,
the location of the sensor box was not located in the same place as in the diagram posted in the instructions and removal of it was only neccessary to game access to the connectors behind. You dont connect the module to this small plug. So I just ignored this part of the install.

Is the plug in yours in the same location as in the instructions?
Everything else seems the same but I see NO sign of a sensor box or a plug meant to go into it. I spoke to Mods for Cars and they said if there is no box, don't worry about it.
So I guess I will press on as I digest supper.

Shane D

PS: I find the front seats in these cars snug. The back seats are just ridiculous.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up Install done

And then it didn't work!
Go back inside and find that the upper (problem) plug was loose. Push it back in but did not hear a click?? Perhaps I damaged the female receptacle with all the jabbing and pulling?
Seems to work now though. PRETTY COOL!

If it ceases to work down the road, I will know where the problem lies.

My wife helped me by holding the console back for a while and after I started to get REALLY impatient she tried the lower plug (and got it on the first try). It took a WHILE to get the upper plug. I was just jabbing a screw driver in hoping to release the clip which eventually worked.

I'll bet I had an hour and a half in, WITH help! Mr fix-it I'm not.
And that is really tight quarters. No spot for a big man.

Good year for the car! Nice spoiler and a great roof trick.

Shane D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible