mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

So if you are in the car (engine running) and want to open/drop the roof, just tap the console button once?
I like the idea of turning the system off (passive/invisible mode) when you are in for servicing.

Have you played with (just going off their site):
1) Separate window controls?
or
2) Comfort window open/close?

Shane D
Old 06-19-2011, 06:07 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
So if you are in the car (engine running) and want to open/drop the roof, just tap the console button once?
I like the idea of turning the system off (passive/invisible mode) when you are in for servicing.

or

Shane D
The single tap on the open/close does work inside the car while the engine is running. The double tap to just close or open all the windows only is whats not working. So far, if the top is close and I wanted to just open all windows by double tapping the open, it ends up just opening the top as well. Not sure if its just a timing issue with pressing the buttons. I would have preferring double tap to open the top instead on single tap.

I am not sure I understand your next question though.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM
stevelam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or

Shane D
yeah i fiddled with those controls, they are actually the same thing. it just means u can open and close the windows from the remote or the center console button but the only thing is the front windows dont roll up only the back ones.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bembowe
The single tap on the open/close does work inside the car while the engine is running. The double tap to just close or open all the windows only is whats not working. So far, if the top is close and I wanted to just open all windows by double tapping the open, it ends up just opening the top as well. Not sure if its just a timing issue with pressing the buttons. I would have preferring double tap to open the top instead on single tap.

Agreed. You mentioned how specific the key fob instructions have to be. Can any of that be adjusted with the software? Changing a 2 to a 4 for instance?

I am not sure I understand your next question though.
Steve answered this one in his mail.

Sounds like it's not quite perfect, but close enough for me. I ordered mine this afternoon.

Shane D
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Steve answered this one in his mail.

Sounds like it's not quite perfect, but close enough for me. I ordered mine this afternoon.

Shane D
I dont think on the key fob you can change the 4 clicks down to 2 from software. 2 is reserved for the all windows up or down depending on whether you are pressing the lock/unlock. 3 or 4 is reserved for the top + whether or not you want the all windows up or down.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Ok, I didnt drive the G this weekend (was raining )and noticed that when I tried the top down with the key fob and not starting the car, the top down process when 3/4 but then stopped. seemed like the battery issue, like there was no juice to power it all the way . After starting the car, the process continued. Anyone come across this issue yet?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
stevelam

should work fine. it is a battery issue i believe cuz there are many hydraulics. does it beep at u when it stops? u want ur remote module settings to be on 3 or 4 so it can run without the engine being on.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
stevelam

does anyones nav screen pop up a message about the consult being attached and please disconnect consult? it comes on for 2-3 seconds on start up then disappears? it only happens once in a while, but i wonder if this has to do with my install cuz it says the car is supposed to be off when installing but i had the radio on when i connected the clips.. maybe need to disconnect the battery and reconnect?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stevelam
does anyones nav screen pop up a message about the consult being attached and please disconnect consult? it comes on for 2-3 seconds on start up then disappears? it only happens once in a while, but i wonder if this has to do with my install cuz it says the car is supposed to be off when installing but i had the radio on when i connected the clips.. maybe need to disconnect the battery and reconnect?
hmmmm, i didnt come across that issue but I did turn off the car while installing. will keep an eye if something like that does come up.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bembowe
I heard back from Stefan on this. He say that you have to click twice quickly as you would when you double click a computer mouse.
FAST response time on the e-mail!

Mine left today!
Of course I picked ground shipping so it will likely be a week to ten days before I get it

Shane D
Old 06-21-2011, 12:01 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Both Shane and I got email from Stefan from Mods4cars looking for a G vert over the weekend to look into the windows up limitation workaround. This is of someone in the New Jersey area. Of course he will trade you for an Mercedes SLK, so you will still be riding in style during this time.

If you do have a vert, in NJ area please reply or PM me so that I can send you stefan's info. We need to find a solution to the windows up limitation to complete the experience just like our german counterparts.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Texnician

Aaagh, I was almost overjoyed by this mod but was let down by the late discovery of the no front window up problem as others have mentioned. Not a total biggy. Why would Infiniti think that anyone would close the top and not want the windows up? The rare time I might want that, I wouldn't have a problem with lowering them. At least it did improve things a tiny bit. Before, I had to hold the front window switches to bring all windows up. Now with the back coming up with the top I only need to momentary the fronts. Still, not a clean solution. Good luck to those trying to solve this and I sure hope it doesn't involve a hardware solution.
I love driving to work top down and as I slowly roll to my parking spot I have the top coming up and complete as I shutdown and get out.

I wish I was near NJ, I'd guinea pig my car for the cause in a heartbeat. These guys do great work, the install was a joy and aside from Infiniti's stupidity, this is a great improvement.

Last edited by Texnician; 06-24-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Texnician
Aaagh, I was almost overjoyed by this mod but was let down by the late discovery of the no front window up problem as others have mentioned. Not a total biggy. Why would Infiniti think that anyone would close the top and not want the windows up? The rare time I might want that, I wouldn't have a problem with lowering them. At least it did improve things a tiny bit. Before, I had to hold the front window switches to bring all windows up. Now with the back coming up with the top I only need to momentary the fronts. Still, not a clean solution. Good luck to those trying to solve this and I sure hope it doesn't involve a hardware solution.
I love driving to work top down and as I slowly roll to my parking spot I have the top coming up and complete as I shutdown and get out.

I wish I was near NJ, I'd guinea pig my car for the cause in a heartbeat. These guys do great work, the install was a joy and aside from Infiniti's stupidity, this is a great improvement.
I completely agree men. The mod is still excellent even with this setback. I do the same thing too when i get to work, drive and park slowly while the top comes up and by the time am done park, all I have to do is just walk away. No more 30sec waiting

The guys at Mods4cars have excellent service too. Stefan was really nice to talk to and they seemed very professional. I would have jump to the occasion as well if I was in the jersey area. I really want them to be successful with a fix. This is whole story will be complete.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM
lier200a

This thread seemed to have died... LOL

Bembowe, I had battery issues and I ended up getting a new one at dealership. Now the freezing/stopping of the roof ended so I'm a little weary of using the FOB, I did ask in the other thread (single touch roof top) about battery maintainer...

As far as the windows up, the service at mods4cars is aboslutely wonderful. Stefan is working on the window issue and I hope he finds a solution quick!

Loving the module thus far!!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up

I think the Fob will work fine for dropping the roof as you walk towards the car. As I stated elsewhere, I would not get into the habit of doing multiple cycles without turning the engine on.
If these units were known to drain batteries, the company would not have lasted this long or have such a strong following world wide. Feel free to search the Porsche and MB forums and ask about them (I don't think I am allowed to link to other forums).

I have a long weekend coming up and I am looking forward to a FULL detail (clean, clay bar, polish, wax , etc). Planning/hoping to have the module next weekend to do that too.
Did the interior today, including adding the leather smell.
MMMMmmmm smells like a brand new car!!

Shane D

Quick Reply: mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible