mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:56 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible

Ok, guys the wait for me to install the smarttop roof is finally over. Got a buddy to help out.

First the vids of the bad boy in action
Vids are available in 1080p so enjoy with that.
While vehicle is in motion
<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uxeVYHHXARk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uxeVYHHXARk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Remote top open
<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dy_BXbVGGRQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dy_BXbVGGRQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Remote top close
<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OHTyhqLVBUY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OHTyhqLVBUY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The install
First I gotta say, the installation is pretty straight forward and should take about 30mins if you put you mind into it. I did have a small glitch unplugging one of the factory sockets, will explain later.

Removal of the rear seat bottom was super easy just pull on the sides as per the instruction from mods4cars.
Name:  SmartTopRoof086.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  SmartTopRoof087.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  56.3 KB

Next for the seat back, use a 10mm rachet and remove the two screws as in the picture below.

Name:  SmartTopRoof088.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  SmartTopRoof089.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  SmartTopRoof090.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  SmartTopRoof091.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  60.9 KB

lift the seat back up and make sure the seat belts are pulled all the way and to the sides to allow the seat to rest up. make sure though that you place the seat back on the plastic side and not on your paint.

Name:  SmartTopRoof093.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  67.5 KB

Now carefully pull the side panel to reveal the module. I didnt have to remove the small plug as indicated in the direction as that was relocated above the top module and didnt affect the removal of the two main plugs.

The two main plugs can be easily located but I had a really tough time removing the upper plug. I used all sorts of tools and after a lot of curses, and about 20mins of struggling finally go it out. if it wasnt for this, the entire process could have been done quite fast.

Here is the upper plug am referring to
Name:  SmartTopRoof095.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  SmartTopRoof099.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  22.7 KB

next step is just connect the two plugs from the factory to the mods4cars module and from the module to the top factory module

Name:  SmartTopRoof101.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  18.9 KB

Name:  SmartTopRoof102.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  49.6 KB

After that, I was done. Just tested to make sure it all works before putting the seats back together.

couple of pics of drive by with the roof in motion

Name:  SmartTopRoof105.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  SmartTopRoof106.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  76.4 KB

First impressions
First the operations take a little getting used to. for example when using the remote, you gotta make sure that the interval is about a sec, too soon or too late and it won't work.

When the car is locked and the top is opened, if you want to close the top, you have to unlock the car first before pressing the lock 3 times. when I first tried it. i thought i wasnt working.

The remote cannot be used if the engine is on too. only the top button inside the car will work once the car has started. its the same versi versa, if the car is off, only the remote can be used.

Pressing the top botton twice in quick succession should close all windows but most of the time that I have tried it, it ended up closing the top while the top was open, this became a bit annoying in the middle of traffic, the good thing was that the top can still come up while the car is moving so no big worries

But my biggest grip with this system is the fact that the front windows cannot come up. This takes away from almost a perfect experience it terms of being able to lock you car completely and remotely. I hope they have a fix for this.

But apart from these mishaps. The module is just a joy and well worth the investment. I love the fact that as i am working towards my car, I can start the top open operation, start the car while the top is still going down and drive off. its just magical. Also the fact that I dont have to hold that button for 30sec is just blizz

I think for everyone thinking of buying it, know about the shortcomings and just buy it. its much better than the stock operation.
it give this

Last edited by bembowe; 06-18-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Twin Turbo!!!!!!!!

Teasers as small as this one should come with penalties.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Technically it's christmas in June.

Are those HFC's or Intakes?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jarborn1
Twin Turbo!!!!!!!!

Teasers as small as this one should come with penalties.
Originally Posted by cereal2k
Technically it's christmas in June.

Are those HFC's or Intakes?
Oh yeah, meant june but for some really july just keep popping on my head

well, lets see, its too small for both. Lets just say its something only for the vert.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by bembowe
Oh yeah, meant june but for some really july just keep popping on my head

well, lets see, its too small for both. Lets just say its something only for the vert.
Wind deflector.. so what do I win"
Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Would that be a Smart Top?

Shane D
Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cereal2k
Wind deflector.. so what do I win"
nop nop nop. the box is only 6x6inches. Ok, just a few more guesses.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM
cereal2k

nop nop nop. the box is only 6x6inches. Ok, just a few more guesses.
Ok ok. It's hard for me to tell, I can't bring up attachments from my phone, so I just see the tiny view.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Shane D
Would that be a Smart Top?

Shane D
And we got a winner
Attached Thumbnails mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible-new-toy-010.jpg   mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible-new-toy-011.jpg   mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible-new-toy-012.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
cereal2k

Nice!!!! Congrats shane for thinking outside of the box LOL!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

That East Lake Sammamish walking / biking trail near your place looks inviting...
Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Please post your thoughts on this ASAP. I contacted them but they are out of stock again. Due to start shipping again by the end of the week.

We are now in our third month of rain, but on the rare sunny day we do have, I have been thinking about this. I send an e-mail, start to get excited and then we get another week of rain

Love to hear your opinion on install AND operation.

Shane D
Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love christmas in July. . The mailman left me a nice gift today for the vert. what could it be?????
Ok, a lil teaser but promise, will let you know what it is.
Smart Top?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
That East Lake Sammamish walking / biking trail near your place looks inviting...

Ha ha ha. guess I got too excited and forgot to block that. But no worries. yeah the place is inviting. but just the park though, lol
Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Shane D
Please post your thoughts on this ASAP. I contacted them but they are out of stock again. Due to start shipping again by the end of the week.

We are now in our third month of rain, but on the rare sunny day we do have, I have been thinking about this. I send an e-mail, start to get excited and then we get another week of rain

Love to hear your opinion on install AND operation.

Shane D
For sure. I will try and document my install step by step. As am a bit scare to start ripping apart the back seat of the G. But, I will take pics and vids during the whole process.
I just hope its as smooth as they claim on their site. I will probably start the install next saturday in the hopes for a clear day outside.

Quick Reply: mods4cars smarttop install on an Infiniti g37 convertible