New G37S Convertible - Rattles?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:16 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other cars you mentioned had other issues which are more serious than rattles or squeaks.

All first year model cars have some issue but over all G37 convertible is still better value than the other name brands.

When you drive a car on daily basis you seem to notice every little thing and I think G37 Owners are more demanding and share info. I am sure if you go to similar forums of other cars, you may find similar issues. If you do Yahoo or Google search on "Squeaks and Rattles in convertibles", you may be surprised.

There are many G37 Convertible that have not reported such rattles/squeaks either- My G37 convertible has no rattles or squeaks and I bet there others who would say so too.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Trincap

I never said they didn't have issues. I said they had no squeeks and I disagreed with your premise that all hard top convertibles have them. The G convert squeeks and rattles more than any other I've ever had. It seems like poor craftsmanship to be honest.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Poe408

Originally Posted by Trincap
I never said they didn't have issues. I said they had no squeeks and I disagreed with your premise that all hard top convertibles have them. The G convert squeeks and rattles more than any other I've ever had. It seems like poor craftsmanship to be honest.
i agree with you about the poor craftsmanship, trincap. in fact, my car is at metro infiniti right now (for the second time) because of rattles. however, i still like the car a lot and don't really regret my purchase. that's just my personal opinion, of course.

metro infiniti (in monrovia) had my car yesterday and at the end of the day, they claimed to have fixed the rattle. right when i got in the car though, it was obviously still there... even before i drove out of the parking lot. so now they have it again and they claim to have ordered some replacement part for it. hopefully they figure it out.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Poe408
i agree with you about the poor craftsmanship, trincap. in fact, my car is at metro infiniti right now (for the second time) because of rattles. however, i still like the car a lot and don't really regret my purchase. that's just my personal opinion, of course.

metro infiniti (in monrovia) had my car yesterday and at the end of the day, they claimed to have fixed the rattle. right when i got in the car though, it was obviously still there... even before i drove out of the parking lot. so now they have it again and they claim to have ordered some replacement part for it. hopefully they figure it out.
Do you think it's craftmanship/workmanship or is it poor design? e.g. the seat belt is poor design that belts don't retract as they should.

Infiniti should do a better job in educating their dealers on these kind of issues, who in turn can service the customers better. I believe it's also the dealers that need to listen to the customers. I blame both the dealers and Infiniti for unable to service their new models.

Hope your issue can be resolved in this second attempt.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:14 AM
NewGMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a lot of squeaks and rattles initially (6 to be exact). In 4 different visits to the dealership for this, and replacement of a door panel, they are all finally gone. I was hesitant to post this as now I know I will go out today and there will be a new one, but as of the past month or so, I am essentially rattle and squeak free, with the exception of hitting big bumps.

My dealership actually did their best to fix the issues, but they don't seem to have enough training on what I imagine are common issues (although initially they claimed mine was unique, when I asked to go for a ride in a random car on the lot, it had essentially some of the same issues).

The approach on this seems to be essentially actuarial approach hoping that the number of complaining people will result in less cost than fixing the problems.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:46 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NewGMan

The approach on this seems to be essentially actuarial approach hoping that the number of complaining people will result in less cost than fixing the problems.
Nah - I dont think so - the brand has too much to lose playing it that way. I think this more about the learning curve related to Infiniti's first hard top offering...
Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Trincap

I'm sure they will get it right in a couple of years. It doesn't really bother me THAT much but it just feels cheapened. It's not like being their "first" hard top convertible is an excuse. Ferrari's first one was the California and mine was totally solid with zero creeks/squeeks. And my buddies 335i vert was also solid. They just need to work on some rather simple things like the fit of the panels and the rubber material they use between the panels. Oh and how easy would it have been to simply put/glue a foam wrapper around the ***** holding the cable? I'll take a Lexus IS-C for a spin one of these days and see if there is any issue there. The sc430 though was perfect and had no squeeks. It's just a tad dissapointing is all.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Poe408

Originally Posted by cvipgo
Do you think it's craftmanship/workmanship or is it poor design? e.g. the seat belt is poor design that belts don't retract as they should.

Infiniti should do a better job in educating their dealers on these kind of issues, who in turn can service the customers better. I believe it's also the dealers that need to listen to the customers. I blame both the dealers and Infiniti for unable to service their new models.

Hope your issue can be resolved in this second attempt.
they've had my car for 5 days now... and they just told me they're changing the whole headliner.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Smac

It took me three trips to the dealer, but I think they have finally fixed my rattles. Here's what they did from the service ticket:

"Found rattle around rear glass area. Removed lower trim under glass and applied felt tape insulation to all clips and mounting points. Reinstalled and test drove. Noises still heard. Removed glass trim, found wires loose around rear glass. Applied urethane tape to wire harness between clips to insulate. Applied felt insulation to clips and mounting points. Reinstalled trim. Test drove. Most of noise was corrected. Brought vehicle back in removed trim looking for source of rattle. Found the anchor points for the headliner to roof under glass could rattle. Applied felt around mounting points for headliner. Reassembled all trim, clips and test drove. Rattle gone."

One week, and it seems to have worked. Just a shame that it took three trips and having to complain to Infiniti's customer service line about the incompetence of the local service department.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Trincap

lol well I drive about 4k-5k miles a year and don't sit in my car for long stretches so I think I can live with the rattles for another year. I certainly am NOT going to the dealer 3 times to get it fixed. Had enough of that crap with BMW (NEVER AGAIN!!!!). If it gets bad I'll bring it in.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Panamajon

I recently noticed a rattle from my sound system coming from the passenger side, anyone have a similar issue? It's only a problem when I'm using bluetooth for my cell over the Bose.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Panamajon
I recently noticed a rattle from my sound system coming from the passenger side, anyone have a similar issue? It's only a problem when I'm using bluetooth for my cell over the Bose.
If your car is 2010 then you need software update, Infiniti has the service bulletin ITB10-029 on the issue.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Frank007

I am having same issues with my G37 CONVERTIBLE ANNVSY EDITION. $56k car and I am already having issues of rattling when the top is off and in the trunk.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 AM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by Panamajon
I had a rattle in the drivers side speaker that was noticeable only when I used satellite radio mostly. Turned out the trim had a rattle that was only obvious at certain frequencies. They could not fix it and had to replace the entire door panel to remedy it.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM
amv50

i just gotmy 2010 Vert s in Oct. and it rattled on the way home! I live in NYC so I thought it was just the product of the west side hwy. Now ive dropped the car and put 20's on it so I dont think i have a chance with the dealer. if anyone finds the fix for this nussance, please pm me asap! if it wasnt November in NY, it wouldnt be an issue! ;-)

Quick Reply: New G37S Convertible - Rattles?!?