New G37S Convertible - Rattles?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Trincap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, it's much worse if I leave the car outside for the night. There are also several different rattles. There's the ping ping ping of the plastic ***** mounted on the cord that hits things when the cord vibrates. I think the dealers are just wrapping them in foam. I'd do it myself if I can figure out how to get the headliner off and back on. Then there's the creak rattle that comes from the panels on the roof not fitting properly or the rubber squeeking. That can be mostly fixed with silicon spray but you have to keep using it. The dash doesn't rattle which is good. The speaker rattle is electronic and/or software. That you need to get an update for. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Icerider2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to bring the Vert back to the shop for the roof again! This time the roof cables snapped (I blame the dealer for over-tightening) and the whole roof has more rattles than a Civic with a pair of subs. Hopefully they can fix the thing!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
drivefaster

i just wanted to say hi to this honorable audience and to sign up the squeaks and rattles list. my car has been so far for 7 times at the dealer - for noise-related issues and a lot others. nothing changed, but i sort of doubt they're really trying anymore. rattles are permanent (about 4 of them, different pitches and frequencies, as loud as in an u-haul truck). something's dangling in the trunk when i happen to hit potholes at low speeds. and it squeaks like a wooden boat when i go over speed bumps.

i went to 5 other dealers and drove all the other hardtop convertibles, paying attention to the noises, and trying to make myself comfortable with the idea they're all the same. they are. the g37s is the exception - it's the only noisy one. i dont think i accept that noises can be dependent on the outside temperature as a valid excuse. and ultimately, i dont think it's fair to compare the noises from a g37 convertible with the noises from one single honda civic: according to the prices we paid, we should be comparing with the noises from 3 civics.

squeaky-squeaky clinky-clinky everybody, if you ask your infiniti dealer you'll be told that's the new sound of automotive luxury.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
TASG37SVERT

Having owned both a 06 Mercedes SLK 320 and 09 BMW 328 vert I can tell you guys that "hard top" convertibles rattle/squeak.. BMW chased the problem and it rattled the day I traded it...I just purchased my 10 G37S vert and yes some rattle..If it makes any of you feel better IMHO it is by far a better car than the other two. Unless the noise is horrible, I personally would not have a dealer chasing a known problem. Turn up the BOSE and enjoy...
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Trincap

Im not with you on this TASG. I've owned a Lexus SC430, Ferrari California, MB 500SL, MB SLK and NONE of them creaked like the G37. Not even close.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 AM
drivefaster

... and i still havent found a "rattles and squeaks" thread, on a bmw, lexus or mercedes enthusiasts forum, that would get as much traction as this one. really. i know i could make it all comfortable by wearing ear plugs, but how 'bout fixing the damn luxury car?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
G37Paul
Registered Member

I notice that my 2010 vert has a small rattle / squeak when the temperature is below 40 degrees. I have narrowed it down to the passenger side near the window area of the roof. I have also driven in 3 other verts from 2009 to 2010 which all had the same rattle / squeak only louder but in the same spot. Those other cars were rattling / squeaking no matter what the temperature was or road conditions. When the weather warms up again, I confirm that the rattle / squeak will be gone or not. If not, I want it fixed. I haven't tried silicon on the rubber pieces near that area yet, but I will do that when I get chance to see if any effect or not.

Last edited by G37Paul; 02-08-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
G37Paul
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Trincap
For me, it's much worse if I leave the car outside for the night. There are also several different rattles. There's the ping ping ping of the plastic ***** mounted on the cord that hits things when the cord vibrates. I think the dealers are just wrapping them in foam. I'd do it myself if I can figure out how to get the headliner off and back on. Then there's the creak rattle that comes from the panels on the roof not fitting properly or the rubber squeeking. That can be mostly fixed with silicon spray but you have to keep using it. The dash doesn't rattle which is good. The speaker rattle is electronic and/or software. That you need to get an update for. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
The other day, I heard all the above mentioned when it was very cold. Yesterday, we had a 65 degree day and I had the top down. When I put the top back up, there were no noises except for the occasional creak noise as the temperatures got cold again at night.

It's gong to the dealer today to see what can be done.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 AM
aaronboswell

Mine rattles VERY bad. It is in the shop right now. Only 5k miles. I can't imagine how bad it would be at 65k. Besides the poor seatbelt attachment design this is the only thing I can find wrong with the G37S. If they don't fix it I am afraid I will be trading in the near future. Sad.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM
G37Paul
Registered Member

I got mine back from the dealer and after driving about a mile off the lot, they had fixed the original rattle but created 5 new ones! (All of them louder and more frequent that what I originally had). Three in the front passenger side including a ping pong ball sound, and 2 in the left rear side. I immediately brought the car back, but they said the tech was gone for the day and won't be around to even start working on it again for a few days, so I would need to bring it back for another appointment to correct again.

That was the most B.S. excuse I ever heard and not acceptable.

I was pissed because I now the car was worse than when i originally brought it in and it obviously was not properly road tested. The next day, after driving the rattle trap to work, I made another appointment and was not interested in excuses.

Anyway, car goes back in for 5 new rattles they created on Monday morning. I just hope nothing breaks through the headliner getting the car there. it's that loud. So far, I'm not impressed with the quality of service from Roswell Inifiniti, but I'll give them another chance to make it right since it may just be the service sales guy I'm dealing with, and not the dealership as a whole.

This time, I won't accept the car back until we do test drive to confirm they didn't break more than they fixed. There are like 3 other dealers in the area as backup. If they actually drove the car on the parking lot they would have heard the 3 new ones they created. Not sure how they would think I would not notice...

Unbelievable...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:08 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by G37Paul
I got mine back from the dealer and after driving about a mile off the lot, they had fixed the original rattle but created 5 new ones! (All of them louder and more frequent that what I originally had). Three in the front passenger side including a ping pong ball sound, and 2 in the left rear side. I immediately brought the car back, but they said the tech was gone for the day and won't be around to even start working on it again for a few days, so I would need to bring it back for another appointment to correct again.

That was the most B.S. excuse I ever heard and not acceptable.

I was pissed because I now the car was worse than when i originally brought it in and it obviously was not properly road tested. The next day, after driving the rattle trap to work, I made another appointment and was not interested in excuses.

Anyway, car goes back in for 5 new rattles they created on Monday morning. I just hope nothing breaks through the headliner getting the car there. it's that loud. So far, I'm not impressed with the quality of service from Roswell Inifiniti, but I'll give them another chance to make it right since it may just be the service sales guy I'm dealing with, and not the dealership as a whole.

This time, I won't accept the car back until we do test drive to confirm they didn't break more than they fixed. There are like 3 other dealers in the area as backup. If they actually drove the car on the parking lot they would have heard the 3 new ones they created. Not sure how they would think I would not notice...

Unbelievable...
These kind of behavior turns people off from going to dealers, I think you need to report such dealers to Infiniti Customer Service and there are web sites for dealer rating also... and they are scared of bad reviews.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 PM
G37Paul
Registered Member

That would not be fair without giving the dealership a chance to make it right. They should have taken the car back when I returned it instead of turning me away. That was the right thing to do. They should have also done a test ride with me since it was noise related and they didn't do one when I brought it in, nor when I took it back even though I made an appointment for this. Again, that was wrong.

The service rep acted more interested in getting the loaner car back than fixing the problem, and satisfying the customer. Again, it's probably just one bad apple and not the whole dealership. Anyway, that won't happen again this time. I'll report back when my new rattles are solved.

It also makes me wonder if the techs are really well trained on fixing the roof rattles these cars can get even before they are 10K miles old. I'm not talking about rattles on bumpy roads, but smooth pavement...

The car was dead quiet when I bought it 2K miles ago, now I want the dead quiet back.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Poe408

i think i'm the winner. i had rattles in mine just 2-3 hours after driving it off the lot. fortunately, my dealer actually fixed the problem. it took 2 weeks, 3 loaners, and 3 trips to metro infiniti (monrovia) but they did finally fix it. for anybody who's near monrovia, give them a try.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
G37Paul
Registered Member

I'm on loaner car #2, and second trip in, and I getting the bad attitude from the dealer and lots of excuses. Finally got the service manager to take a test drive with me and he heard them too. Service sales rep I assigned is a real piece of work, service manager is actually trying to make things right. We'll see...when I get the car back and we go for another test drive.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Paul
I'm on loaner car #2, and second trip in, and I getting the bad attitude from the dealer and lots of excuses. Finally got the service manager to take a test drive with me and he heard them too. Service sales rep I assigned is a real piece of work, service manager is actually trying to make things right. We'll see...when I get the car back and we go for another test drive.
Which dealer?

Quick Reply: New G37S Convertible - Rattles?!?