New G37S Convertible - Rattles?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Icerider2001
just brought in my vert to get the rattles in the roof repaired and go figure they make it worse. The service rep told me that they tightened the cables in the roof. So now idk if I should bring it back, or try to fix the issues they made plus the original problems?
It's a shame that almost a year after these cars debuted in North America there are still simple issues that the service departments are not up speed on. This should be a simple fix!

Try a different dealership.
Good luck
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
g37vanbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my vert in on the weekend to have them look at the raffles and squeaks from the roof. They lube all seals/weatherstrip and hinges and so far 5 days with no squeaks or rattles. I dont know if they did anything else but that is all they told me.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Midlife Crisis

Just got my new G37 convertible. GARNT Makes a rattling noise like you describe. No noise with the roof down. Only 900 miles and I will have the cables in the roof checked next week
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Foxwiz

Originally Posted by DaVeyBoY779
Just picked up my 2009 G37S Convertible last week and I noticed immediately a rattling sounds coming from the rear c-pillar, both right and left side. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed the rattling and placed felt to line the headliner and rods near the c-pillar on both sides. Picked up the car and it is still making the same rattling noise, if not worse. Anybody else experiencing these rattles? It's a shame when you already experience issues such as these on a $52,000 vehicle! Any help or feedback would be most appreciated.

I had major rattle problems with my Lexus is250 vert that I purchased last year. Took it back to the dealer 5 times, the couldn't fix the problems and to make a long story short, Toyota purchased the vehicle back last month.

I now have the g37C so I am more aware of rattles and squeaks. Had the car two months and have noticed just a few rattles but that is normal with any vert. If the rattles get worse I will take it in but the car seems tight and much nicer than the Lexus.

Glad I have the g37!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Topper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my vert since February and have had an ocasional rattle but it seems to be temperture related. But unlike several others I have had the tunes up and the little rattles go away.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 PM
AZSportConvert

I currently have mine in the dealership for week 2 trying to fix the rattles in the top for the second time. The first time was just a month after purchasing it in Nov 2009. The rattles came back and were now in the map light area and then again in the rear of the vehicle. Very frustrating! Anyone else having these issues? Each time they tell me it is fixed I go in for a test drive and find more and louder rattles.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Poe408

mine has rattles too. somewhere in the back... sounds like it's coming from the left and right sides. gonna make an appointment to take it in this weekend.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
glgrh

rattle

mine rattles when top up, not when top down. not sure what it is.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 PM
g37vanbc

for all of with rattles coming from the back right and left side put the top down half way and stop. look at the back of the plastic covers that cover where the seat belt retractors close to where the roof goes in the trunk and see if the cover has any cracks in it where it mounts. both my left and right side had cracks above the bolt and that was causing the squeak that only happens when the roof is up. When the roof is down the flip out flaps put pressure on those covers and it does not squeak.

I pointed this out to the dealership cause they just kept lubricating the rubber seals with silicone spray but it never solved the problem.

I will try and post a picture of my cracked covers since the parts are on back order from Japan with no date of when they will be here.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Beer Magazine

I think lubricating the seals will help the squeak noises. The little plastic **** that hold the roof liner can hit the roof and cause a tick.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM
The Jewbag

Congratulations, you're now the proud owner of a $50k car that squeaks and creaks like it were made of plastic. Join the club.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
katfish711

This is my first vert so I was a little disheartened when I first heard the dreaded top "squeek".

I searched here and found a few folks were posting about using 3M silicone spray.

I couldn't find the 3M branded stuff in my local stores so I ended up settling for an Ace Hardware store brand.

Short story - Using the spray eliminated 99% of my "squeeks".

Just sprayed some onto a clean rag then wiped the rubber seals around the top. Takes less than 5 minutes and makes driving my new vert SOUND like a new car should... quiet (unless I am rocking the XM).

We had some record temps here in So Cal so I suspect the seals were a bit dried out. Now I will simply plan to make this step one of the last things I do when performing the usual detailing.

:-)
Old 10-07-2010, 03:58 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Squeaks and creaks are associated with all hard top convertibles... be it $50K or $100k or $1million convertible. Rubber and metal surfaces don't like each other and if you want them to stop fighting then you need to lubricate them with dry lub.
Bschurr & I were the ones suggested dry lube and I suggested 3M product... works gr8.

You just have to use it when ever you have engine oil/filter changed as part of regular lubrication maintenance.
I'll check out what "g37vanbc" pointed out earlier....stay tuned.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by g37vanbc
for all of with rattles coming from the back right and left side put the top down half way and stop. look at the back of the plastic covers that cover where the seat belt retractors close to where the roof goes in the trunk and see if the cover has any cracks in it where it mounts. both my left and right side had cracks above the bolt and that was causing the squeak that only happens when the roof is up. When the roof is down the flip out flaps put pressure on those covers and it does not squeak.

I pointed this out to the dealership cause they just kept lubricating the rubber seals with silicone spray but it never solved the problem.

I will try and post a picture of my cracked covers since the parts are on back order from Japan with no date of when they will be here.
I checked as described above but did not notice anything unusual (I don't have squeaks or rattles) in my car but I wanted to see the locations - may be photos will help.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Trincap

Don't agree with you cvi. My SC430 had no squeeks or rattles at all. The California had no squeeks or rattles. And my wife's old SLK barely had a rattle with the top down but none with it up. Heck, even my buddies BMW has no rattles. It's bad quality.

Quick Reply: New G37S Convertible - Rattles?!?