Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

The new IPL G37S

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:53 PM
MMC Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Actually it is unreasonable. I've said all along that Lexus is a successful luxury company with a lot of money that has an established brand and their attempt at taking on the M and AMG vehicles didn't work out. Infiniti has finally found it's footing (after almost 20 years) and is now starting to build their brand. They don't have the money or resources to waste on building an M3/C63 fighter. In 5 years things will probably be different but right now anything approaching the M/AMG vehicles doesn't make any business sense.

The IPL vehicles make a lot of sense becuase it's some cosmetic stuff, exhaust, and a tune that they can charge a premium for. As already mentioned people are doing this kind of stuff to their cars and now they can buy it right from the dealer that way with a full manufacturer warranty. Infiniti can make extra money with dumping in a bunch of R&D that would be required for a new car. This car is exactly the type of vehicle Infiniti needs; something to appeal to people who want "a bit extra" but something that won't scare them away with the price tag.

Besides all this, let's go back to the original trademarks where it was clear that IPL was just offering bolt on parts like Nismo and TRD. AMG, BMW M, and Lexus F trademarks are pretty clear that they apply to entire vehicles. The Nismo, TRD, and IPL trademarks are specific to bolt on parts.

The IPL vehicles match up nicely to things like BMW's M-sport, Audi's S-line, and Lexus' F-sport packages.
You appear to be over-estimating the level of effort needed to put the 5.6L in a G. That's ok, you are entitled to that opinion.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:19 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MMC Racing
You appear to be over-estimating the level of effort needed to put the 5.6L in a G. That's ok, you are entitled to that opinion.
This isn't some guy in his garage deciding to drop in V8 in his G, this is a multi-national, multi-billion dollar car company. There's a reason why AMG, M, RS, and F vehicles cost so much, there's a lot of R&D that goes into those vehicles and they're very niche products.

Dropping in a 5.6L V8, resetting the suspension and chassis dynamic for the increased weight, resubmitting it for crash tests and emission tests, doing all the due dilligence and engineering testing needed to make sure that the vehicle will stand up to every day use in all sorts of weather and road conditions so it can have a full factory warranty is a big deal.

Besides all this, look at the market place, are the people buying C63s and M3s going to start buying IPL vehicles? They didn't buy the IS-F so why would an IPL G56 be any different.

If was simply a matter of "hey let's put a V8 into this" wouldn't everyone be doning that? There's obviously a reason why they're not, just like they're not building a M coupe or a new Q sedan. Sure it might be a cool idea but there's no business case for it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we see real AMG/M type vehicles from Infiniti in the future but I just don't think the market is right for them now. I see these IPL vehicles as a way to test the marketplace and as a way to start to establish the Infiniti name as "performance brand".

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 08-12-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 PM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
This isn't some guy in his garage deciding to drop in V8 in his G, this is a multi-national, multi-billion dollar car company. There's a reason why AMG, M, RS, and F vehicles cost so much, there's a lot of R&D that goes into those vehicles and they're very niche products.

Dropping in a 5.6L V8, resetting the suspension and chassis dynamic for the increased weight, resubmitting it for crash tests and emission tests, doing all the due dilligence and engineering testing needed to make sure that the vehicle will stand up to every day use in all sorts of weather and road conditions so it can have a full factory warranty is a big deal.

Besides all this, look at the market place, are the people buying C63s and M3s going to start buying IPL vehicles? They didn't buy the IS-F so why would an IPL G56 be any different.

If was simply a matter of "hey let's put a V8 into this" wouldn't everyone be doning that? There's obviously a reason why they're not, just like they're not building a M coupe or a new Q sedan. Sure it might be a cool idea but there's no business case for it.
You appear to be over-estimating the level of effort needed to put the 5.6L in a G. That's ok, you are entitled to that opinion.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM
mcgrible

The wait is OVER. IPL G37S COUPE REVEALED.

Hello guys, the title says it all. The IPL Coupe has been revealed.

Clink the link for the debt news: Infiniti Performance Line debuts with 348-hp IPL G Coupe &mdash; Autoblog

ENJOY !!!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:24 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow... look at that wheel gap
Old 08-12-2010, 03:26 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
such a letdown. only good part is the rear bumper
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM
PR G35S

Needs a VK56...
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

now i dont feel so bad for not waiting
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Damn.. those wheels are pretty ****ing niceee !! I think the car looks crazy good and would trade in my 08 for it
Old 08-12-2010, 03:33 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Ehhhh I just don't know!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

I just want the Black exterior and Red interior
Old 08-12-2010, 03:35 PM
mcgrible

I'm a little bit disappointed with the " IPL " logo... The car looks great from certain angles esp esp from 30-40 degrees. The wheel gap on the other hand .........
Old 08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
CateyeRR

348hp is weak... 18hp over stock is hardly what i'd call a performance line." That's an intake and a tune over a standard g37. Hopefully they will eventually pull their heads out and make a true m-series competitor.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
What a FAIL! 18hp doesn't compete with AMG, F sport or M?

Not feeling the body style at all.. Only decent thing on it might be the wheels. Let down. :-/
Old 08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wheel gap is bad on any OEM coupe...it LOOKS great (as does the normal coupe). there is nothing really NEW to it. Im disappointed just b/c I was hoping for something drastically better than what's out now

Quick Reply: The new IPL G37S