Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review OBX Resonated Test Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 AM
QtrSkill
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Do they still make these pipes? I can't find them anywhere
Old 12-26-2023, 08:42 AM
Solo_vq
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
***Keep in mind, Test pipes emit stronger raw fuel smell when idle, also like High Flow Cats, these will not pass visual or tailpipe smog checks.

These were packaged as well as any car part I've ever received. They came buried in custom fitting expansion foam that would be very hard to damage, even if you tried, lol.

The pipe welds are solid and the flanges are thick, the overall pipes seem to weigh about as much as the OEM cats so they haven't skimped on the wall thickness. The ID on the pipes is 2 3/8th inch. The resonators weld to weld are 7" long, this is right between the Fast Intentions RTPs which are 6" for coupe, and 8" for sedan. The OBX doesn't have a separate sedan/coupe application.

The fitment was perfect, no adjustment needed at the OEM Y pipe. These also have the same elongated J style O2 port as the Fast Intentions which seems to be the way to go for avoiding CELs (knock on wood). The included gaskets are cheap, so if you do use them go w/ a coat of high temp RTV silicone on both sides of the gasket. These pipes also have an extra O2 port (for exhaust temp sender), You can use a oil drain plug for an 80s Toyota to cap them(I think it was a 80s Celica M18x1.5 plug), these are only a couple bucks and fit perfectly.

Have about 800 miles on these now (in the middle of a 1600 mile road trip) and sound very good and no CEL has been thrown. I've been doing a fair amount of WOT runs so hopefully "no CEL" will continue. I will post again if they do end up throwing a code.

I didn't notice any rasp or any increase in drone from my current TopSpeed Y-back Exhaust after these Test Pipes were installed.

I have since installed a new Y-pipe that has a 3" collector that mates up to my TopSpeed 2.5" collector, this has been a known cause of added rasp and that was the case w/ this, it's a very small window around 2800 to 3k rpm and is pretty mild in tone. So far I think it's something that I can live with. If the tone gets louder or wider in rpm range then I may have a shop make a smooth transition in that collector area. This had nothing to do with the test pipes AFAIK.

Unless something happens to the longevity or sound I highly recommend this part. The price has gone up quite a bit since I bought this so I guess I timed it right
Here's the link for the RTPs and the Ypipe, both vendors did a great job w/ quick shipping and packaging
This WAS $113 when I got them
OBX Cat Delete Resonated Downpipe 350Z 370Z Z34 G35 G37 VQ35HR VQ37VHR | eBay

I made an offer of $110 for this and was accepted
Stainless Racing x Y Pipe Downpipe Exhaust for 08 16 370Z Z34 G37 V36 VQ37VHR | eBay

does this fit 2012 awd model
Old 12-28-2023, 08:51 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Solo_vq
does this fit 2012 awd model
Both the test pipe and y pipe will clear the transfer case on awd cars
The following users liked this post:
Solo_vq (01-27-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Solo_vq
Registered Member

Originally Posted by projectpanda13
Both the test pipe and y pipe will clear the transfer case on awd cars
I got major rasp from these or something else kind of lost
Old 03-13-2024, 12:36 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
I got major rasp from these or something else kind of lost
It's a possibility that metal quality over time dropped, thinner metals will rasp more.

This is from the obvious understanding that you're removing ALL of the catalyst honey comb which in turn help reduce a lot of this rasp.
The resonators in these pipes are usually a perforated tube surrounded by a ton of fiberglass packing inside of a chamber and although they improve the the noise straight test pipes make it's not out of the RASP CITY boundaries.

In my older G35 I went with a Megan Y pipe on stock cats and everything else and received the famous 3k rasp just in a lower form which was a huge bummer. I was under the impression the cats would be the only thing but I was wrong.

If it continues to bother you I would suggest taking the Y pipe off, selling it and got to a muffler shop and buy the longest resonators to place right at the flange past the test pipes and have them make their own resonated Y pipe.

Why a muffler shop? Galvanized piping although not aesthetically pleasing, it's thick enough to help you with the sound. By adding long resonators you'll take up most of the space that the Y pipe uses leaving you with two long resonators and a very short Y. It should improve the sound quite a bit.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:53 PM
Solo_vq
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
It's a possibility that metal quality over time dropped, thinner metals will rasp more.

This is from the obvious understanding that you're removing ALL of the catalyst honey comb which in turn help reduce a lot of this rasp.
The resonators in these pipes are usually a perforated tube surrounded by a ton of fiberglass packing inside of a chamber and although they improve the the noise straight test pipes make it's not out of the RASP CITY boundaries.

In my older G35 I went with a Megan Y pipe on stock cats and everything else and received the famous 3k rasp just in a lower form which was a huge bummer. I was under the impression the cats would be the only thing but I was wrong.

If it continues to bother you I would suggest taking the Y pipe off, selling it and got to a muffler shop and buy the longest resonators to place right at the flange past the test pipes and have them make their own resonated Y pipe.

Why a muffler shop? Galvanized piping although not aesthetically pleasing, it's thick enough to help you with the sound. By adding long resonators you'll take up most of the space that the Y pipe uses leaving you with two long resonators and a very short Y. It should improve the sound quite a bit.
I’m going to look into that I was just going to throw isr high flow cats on
Old 03-14-2024, 02:06 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
I’m going to look into that I was just going to throw isr high flow cats on
You can do this as well and in theory sound should improve. HFCs + resonated Y pipe will be an even better sound but much more work than HFCs.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:41 PM
Solo_vq
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
You can do this as well and in theory sound should improve. HFCs + resonated Y pipe will be an even better sound but much more work than HFCs.
I appreciate the advice will be doing soon as of now I’ll ride out the rasp from hell