Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Sedan Test Pipes & Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:44 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sedan Test Pipes & Muffler Delete

So, I have a muffler delete right now and its too quiet for my taste, so I'm thinking about adding test pipes. Has anyone heard how this setup sounds in person? Is it too loud? like wake up the entire neighborhood loud? I've only found a few videos of this setup but they are too short/not in-depth enough but there are a lot of g35 coupes and 350z clips, will the sedan sound the same?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:30 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by VQCrew
So, I have a muffler delete right now and its too quiet for my taste, so I'm thinking about adding test pipes. Has anyone heard how this setup sounds in person? Is it too loud? like wake up the entire neighborhood loud? I've only found a few videos of this setup but they are too short/not in-depth enough but there are a lot of g35 coupes and 350z clips, will the sedan sound the same?
At the minimum be sure they are resonated test pipes, if not you'll have a loud & raspy tone. Also be aware that test pipes add a distinct raw fuel smell, so if your car is sitting idling in stop & go traffic you will **** people off. And you can't be in a smog check state.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Your neighbours will hate you, a lot.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:22 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
At the minimum be sure they are resonated test pipes, if not you'll have a loud & raspy tone. Also be aware that test pipes add a distinct raw fuel smell, so if your car is sitting idling in stop & go traffic you will **** people off. And you can't be in a smog check state.
I'm aware that there is going to be some smell but is it that bad? Is it not bearable to be around the car? I live in Illinois, they only check through the OBD. Also I found a video:
It says hes got gutted cats, 370z mid, vibrant resonators, and muffler delete. Is this how my car would sound like too? Would it be quieter than his since hes got mid pipe and aftermarket resonators?
Old 04-06-2016, 01:25 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Wow that is awful lol
Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
I had FI resonated test pipes, later switched to ART pipes, on my G35 coupe, and the smell was pretty bad. You won't smell it too much from the driver's seat, but if you're stopped for more than 30 seconds you'll start to smell it and it gets pretty nasty. It didn't bother me much but having stock cats on my G37 now, I don't think I want to go back to being catless lol.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:57 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
not a fan of the video cant even begin to think of how bad the drone would be

smell would be noticeable especially when youre stopped at a light or stop sign.

I can smell it a little if I m stopped for a while and I have RHFC with a CBE
Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Would two 12 inch glasspack resonators instead of muffler delete make it sound better?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:41 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
How old are you?

Sounds like something a 18 year old would want done on their car

You will certainly be getting a lot of attention if you do that
Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Would two 12 inch glasspack resonators instead of muffler delete make it sound better?
It could, but I would consider a different resonator like vibrant's high flow. A local G37 owner has muffler deletes and ART Pipes. I don't think it's all that loud, his instagram username is "q50sc". He has posted videos of what the exhaust sounds like.

Last edited by MaQG37; 04-07-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:24 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Thanks for that helpful reply MaQ. A lot nicer than some.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:58 AM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
It could, but I would consider a different resonator like vibrant's high flow. A local G37 owner has muffler deletes and ART Pipes. I don't think it's all that loud, his instagram username is "q50sc". He has posted videos of what the exhaust sounds like.
Thanks for the info, and yeah your right, Q50SC's exhaust sounds great and not that loud (at least on video)...So what are the best resonated pipes that don't rasp? I've seen Berk, 1320, Megan, Kinetix, AAM, Top Speed, etc.. The ARK and ART pipes look and sound awesome but they are like $600..

Last edited by VQCrew; 04-07-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, and yeah your right, Q50SC's exhaust sounds great and not that loud (at least on video)...So what are the best resonated pipes that don't rasp? I've seen Berk, 1320, Megan, Kinetix, AAM, Top Speed, etc.. The ARK and ART pipes look and sound awesome but they are like $600..
I would avoid the Megans 100% for quality on their welds cracking. For the price, I would seriously consider the Berks resonated test pipe. It's a 2.35 ID , 8'' resonator, and it's $280 by B2AutoDesigns (vendor on this board) . Some of the other test pipes are 2.5'' ID and the big step in exhaust flow to your stock Y can create some rasp.

I've owned the Beluga which is the same as Top Speed. But, if I were to buy again, I'd go with the Berks. I'm running Fast Intentions resonated because they are the only ones who create a 2.25'' ID.

Personally, I wouldn't run the ART/ARK pipes unless I was using their catback. However, seeing q50sc's video, they sound good. Maybe you can comment on his videos for more feedback about the setup.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:29 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
I would avoid the Megans 100% for quality on their welds cracking. For the price, I would seriously consider the Berks resonated test pipe. It's a 2.35 ID , 8'' resonator, and it's $280 by B2AutoDesigns (vendor on this board) . Some of the other test pipes are 2.5'' ID and the big step in exhaust flow to your stock Y can create some rasp.

I've owned the Beluga which is the same as Top Speed. But, if I were to buy again, I'd go with the Berks. I'm running Fast Intentions resonated because they are the only ones who create a 2.25'' ID.

Personally, I wouldn't run the ART/ARK pipes unless I was using their catback. However, seeing q50sc's video, they sound good. Maybe you can comment on his videos for more feedback about the setup.
Yeah, I was thinking I'll go with the Berks. Its even cheaper on their site. They say the pipes have a built in 02 CEL fix with 95% effectiveness, is this true? So I won't have to get 02 spacers/extensions?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:51 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Yeah, I was thinking I'll go with the Berks. Its even cheaper on their site. They say the pipes have a built in 02 CEL fix with 95% effectiveness, is this true? So I won't have to get 02 spacers/extensions?
I wouldn't trust their 95% effectiveness. It's a hit or miss really. And, you're taking a bigger risk with test pipes throwing the CEL because the exhaust flow is not going through a cat.

I'd reccomend installing a J-bung extender, similar to the ones Fast Intentions and Motordyne uses on their products. Vibrant makes one that is a bolt on to your existing bung. I actually bought one to use for my Beluga. I'd sell it to for you cheap, but you'd have to buy another one for the other test pipe.

Quick Reply: Sedan Test Pipes & Muffler Delete