Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slight Leak Upper Radiator Hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:42 PM
RustySteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight Leak Upper Radiator Hose

2013 G37 66k miles.

Hey dudes, so I went to the stealership this weekend for an oil change. Just as an FYI, I am a strong advocate of NOT going to the dealership, however due to my work schedule, the hours they're open, and the fact I only get oil changes, I make an exception. My service adviser told me there is a sign of leaking coming from the upper hose of the cooling system, picture attached. He recommended replacing the next time I'm in for service. When I got home I opened the hood to see if there actually was a leak (which there was) and I noticed it doesn't seem too hard to replace as I've done more extensive work in the past on other cars. The service adviser also said they'll need to flush the coolant out.

So I've got a few questions as I need to determine if I can do it myself or if I need to find an independent shop to fix it (I obviously won't go to the dealership for this as I don't want to get hosed).

So question is can I just siphon the coolant out instead of getting under the car to drain it? Does that plastic part just above the bottom end of the hose need to be taken out first? Could it be that the clips are in a poor position and need to be re-seated? Any advice on type of hose to replace it with, OEM or a better alternative? Also does anyone have a diy video on this? I searched, but couldn't find much other than some write-ups, but I always learn better with videos.

Also, is this a common issue? I had an '04 G35 that I got 150k miles out of and the only thing I had to change was a throttle body at around 60k. Certainly never leaked anything and never needed any hoses to be replaced.

Thanks in advance dudes!

Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM
RustySteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone out there?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
This is very common and is a super easy DIY...technically you don't need to do a flush but you will have to add coolant and bleed the system anyways so other than saving a tiny bit of fluid theres no benefit to skipping it and not flushing it may lead to a huge mess and damage other parts. also at your miles you should be doing a flush now as part of scheduled maintenance

Yes you have to take off the plastic thing (its the engine cover), you also have to take off the driver's side airbox, you could try to siphon it instead of draining it but the drain petcock is very accessible and doesn't require raising the car more than a few inches (if at all).

You should change the clamps holding the hose when you change the hose too they lose tension over time.

I don't know how your google works but this video comes up immediately when you type "G37 coolant flush" and has been up for several years:

its an excellent video I've followed a few times personally and its made by an active user on here (bythabay)

I'm pretty sure theres also a DIY on here

If you take it to a mechanic any independent can do it its a very basic service.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:55 AM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
get one of these:

Amazon Amazon