Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Is there a way to turn off A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:12 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a way to turn off A/C?

I have the 09 Coupe 6mt, but the ac/recirculation stays on. Is there a way to turn this off? I don’t want that system on while I’m driving that’s taking power from the engine I could use at the wheels if you know what I mean. I drive with my windows down most of the time anyway so there’s no need for it on.

But yea that light is always on even when the car is off but in the acc position
Old 04-29-2019, 11:18 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Off button not work? My system has a light on, the fresh air/recirc light is on even when the system is off. What does it say on the dash when your in the AC screen?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:54 AM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Conboss
Off button not work? My system has a light on, the fresh air/recirc light is on even when the system is off. What does it say on the dash when your in the AC screen?
nope, light stays on whether car is or not (accessories) the system is running. This the recirculation inside and outer air buttons, one of which has to be on apparently but both can’t off. The AC button is off, so nothing is on screen temperature says 60° though
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
If the A/C button is lit the compressor is on; "taking power from the engine."
If the A/C button is off the compressor is off: ie. no load on the engine.
You are always going to have some air introduced into the cabin (fresh or recirculated), it is just not 'conditioned' air.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 AM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
My Car: 11 g37x
When I turn My climate control to auto with fresh air my AC defaults to on I have to physically press AC button to shut it off. (fresh air)
When I put re-circulating air on AC is on no matter what no way to shut if off.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:56 AM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
If the A/C button is lit the compressor is on; "taking power from the engine."
If the A/C button is off the compressor is off: ie. no load on the engine.
You are always going to have some air introduced into the cabin (fresh or recirculated), it is just not 'conditioned' air.
so basically no way to turn it entirely off. I just can’t run my accessories for very long it kills the battery. I can even hear a fan or something operating, that’s why i thought it was the AC compressor. Weird.. my other car doesn’t do that, everything but the radio is turned off completely.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Pressing the Off button shuts off both the compressor and the fan. As was said above, the vents remain open and allow circulation if the vehicle is moving. This is shown in the FSM.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:42 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
FYI: Under full throttle the A/C compressor is turned off.
Also, if the car is set to use the outside air, you can push the A/C button and turn off the A/C. I do it all the time
Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Do you mean that when the HVAC system is off, you still see a light for the recirc/fresh air button?

That is normal. You either have the fresh air duct open or closed. It does not use power in either setting, except to run the indicator LED. If you have air blowing from the vents in recirc mode, with the AC itself off, that is just ram air from the motion of the car. If you stop the car is there air still blowing from the vents?

Or are you saying that you can't actually turn the AC off?
Old 05-30-2019, 05:58 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Do you mean that when the HVAC system is off, you still see a light for the recirc/fresh air button?

That is normal. You either have the fresh air duct open or closed. It does not use power in either setting, except to run the indicator LED. If you have air blowing from the vents in recirc mode, with the AC itself off, that is just ram air from the motion of the car. If you stop the car is there air still blowing from the vents?

Or are you saying that you can't actually turn the AC off?

I guess it is normal like you say. It’s not really the AC it was the Recirculation/Fresh air setting that remains on at all times. there is seemingly no way to turn it off completely. I believe this is an unnecessary load on the engine if I don’t want. If no power is being used then what’s the point of the light staying on? Nothing comes out of the vents fresh or recirculated and AC off.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:46 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The Recirc/Fresh air button always stays lit whether or not I have the A/C button or Climate Control engaged. Even the fan is off the recirc button is lit.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:46 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
It is a position indicator, not a system that draws power (other than the milliwatt(s) to run the LED). If this much current draw is an issue for performance... you need a different car. It is just there to show you the position of the flap.

So you can switch it if you get behind someone rolling coal, for instance. Or drive through a swamp. Or open the fresh air flap when you're going 80 and it's 68 degrees out.