Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

upper rad hose seeping coolant residue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
upper rad hose seeping coolant residue

anyone else have this issue where theres coolant build up residue on the tip of the hose? i changed it this once already maybe 6 months ago and its starting to happen again. im thinking about trying the z1 silicone hoses next but not sure if itll fix it.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
anyone else have this issue where theres coolant build up residue on the tip of the hose? i changed it this once already maybe 6 months ago and its starting to happen again. im thinking about trying the z1 silicone hoses next but not sure if itll fix it.
You may want to consider changing the spring clamps if you didnt the first time. I had a similar leak a couple of years ago and changed the spring clamps at the same time. It hasn't leaked since (although I have had to change other hoses and clamps in other parts since). I went with OEM for those main Rad hoses, but I have been changing the rest of the hoses on the car with red silicone ones from CZP and Z1. I went with silicon for tow reasons. One they are about half the cost of the OEM hoses and two the bright red ones I got are much easier for me to visually inspect.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

oem hoses go for $20 something. unfortunately z1 sells only as a set and for $94 plus shipping. i think ima try gates hoses from orielys for $18 and has 1 year warranty i can just change it again later if it happens again. i didnt change the clamp. maybe i should try that first.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

oem hoses go for $20 something. unfortunately z1 sells only as a set and for $94 plus shipping. i think ima try gates hoses from orielys for $18 and has 1 year warranty i can just change it again later if it happens again. i didnt change the clamp. maybe i should try that first.

You are right the OEM hoses for the main rad hoses are cheaper than silicone its when you get into other hoses (Vacum, PCV heater etc.,) it becomes much cheaper to go Silicone. i bought some from Z1 and some from CZP. for some reason some buying some from each site ended up being way cheaper.

CZP has just the upper hose for $35.00 if you change your mind on the gates hose https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...-s_p_18023.php
The following users liked this post:
saywat? (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:38 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

ive decided to change out hose one more time and replace the clamp with another oem one. hopefully that solves the issue. total cost $20 plus my time and energy lol
Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Recommendation: if u have black stain rubber left over fr old hose, it needs to be cleaned before new hose put in.. Otherwise it will seep again..

Search for thread on coolant hose cause I had same problem. Also, go factory instead of oreily

GL
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

i jus changed out the clamp this past weekend. no black rubber residue. but there was a few caked on coolant residue that i scrubbed off clean. the oem hose is a few months old. i cleaned the caked on coolant the first time also. i moved the clamp up a little toward away from the filler neck to see if that would help bc after i changed out the clamp there was still a small seepage.

side note theres a new style oem clamp with a lock on it to keep it open wide before installation. that was nice made the clamp install easier
Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I drained and replaced the coolant and changed upper and lower hoses a year ago with OEM parts. I also have the coolant residue but on the other end of the upper hose (pictured) and also on the upper connection of the lower hose. I'm planning to replace the clamps. Did you drain any of the coolant before taking off the upper and lower hoses? I'm wondering how much coolant is going to spill out if I take off the hoses, especially the upper connection of the lower hose without draining any in advance. I'm trying to avoid a mess. Any tips? Thanks.

UCLAg37
Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

No way around it that I kno off lol if u don't wanna drain the rad. I only replaced the upper hose clamp so spillage was minimal. I put an old shirt under the hose to soak up majority of the coolant spill
The following users liked this post:
UCLAG37 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

No way around it that I kno off lol if u don't wanna drain the rad. I only replaced the upper hose clamp so spillage was minimal. I put an old shirt under the hose to soak up majority of the coolant spill
Wishful thinking on my part. Don't want to drain the radiator yet for a leak that only lost half a cup of coolant in a year. I will just replace the clamp on the upper hose for now.

The golden rule here is that when you change out your hoses, replace the clamps too and make sure the hose connection points are clean of any residue.

Thanks.

UCLAg37

Last edited by UCLAG37; 03-31-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added information
Old 03-31-2017, 03:56 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

I got an idea if ur gonna change out the hose anyway. Cut or drill a hole somewhere under the hose and let it drain out till its all out from the hose and connection points. That should make less of a mess
Old 03-31-2017, 11:02 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

I got an idea if ur gonna change out the hose anyway. Cut or drill a hole somewhere under the hose and let it drain out till its all out from the hose and connection points. That should make less of a mess
now thats a good tip!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:32 PM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Good tip but I replaced the hoses a year ago when I replaced the coolant. I didn't change the clamps so I have very minor coolant seepage. Trying to change out just the clamps without all the extra work of draining and refilling with coolant.

UCLAg37
Old 04-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Have you changed radiator cap
Old 04-11-2017, 03:16 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

its been a few weeks and no coolant seepage so far. i moved the clamp further down towards the nipple about quarter inch and so far so good