Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM MHI Twin Turbo Kit Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Alkatraz

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
My rationale is that cooling is integral to turbo longevity and reliability. I don't know for sure that I need the CSF radiator or more robust PS cooler, but while I'm doing this I don't want to leave any room for doubt as to what I mighta shoulda done the first time. I got a good price on the radiator and found the Setrab 9 row brand new on eBay for a steal so I grabbed it. I did read of a few instances of 370Zs having PS overheating issues on prolonged hot track days. Better safe than sorry.

Shaft was $825 with steel yokes with the GB price. It's ended now and is more expensive. Don't remember how much more but it's in the GB thread for the shafts.
Makes sense Betty. Better to be safe than sorry, plus you get the enjoyment of the install.

You guys are all lucky to be in the US, we get hurt badly on shipping to Aus and buying local is even worse. I probably only need to give one example which should make it pretty clear to everyone. Inifiniti has just started selling in Aus and the list price on the top of the range G37 coupe is $85k+!!!!!!

I'm sure that you can all do the math on everything else........
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Alkatraz

Originally Posted by DPE G
Betty, I do run a 34 row oil cooler and in FL humidity even in 100+ weather I dont even reach above 95 deg coolant temps. I wouldn't say the radiator is needed, but by all means it will not hurt. It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have. Good looking build.
We can get up to 110+ over here in Perth so I will really need to keep an eye on temps and then make a decision on the rad.
Does anyone know if the humidity helps or whether a dry heat is better? It gets seriously dry over here in summer. Obviously cold air is always the preference but if it is 110+ would high or low humidity be better?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Let me dust off my brain a little see if I can remember my thermodynamics lol.

Humid air has a higher cooling capacity than dry air because of its water vapor content. As a result, humid air can absorb more heat off the radiator and hence cool better (look up evaporative cooling principles). Humidity also adds a safety factor to boosted cars because it helps cool the intake air and lower the combustion temps reducing the chances of knock.

Problem is, the water vapor in humid air takes up space. 1L of humid air would have less oxygen in it than 1L of dry air. This means engines would have to work a little harder due to the reduced oxygen content.

That's what I remember, I could be wrong
The following users liked this post:
Alkatraz (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 AM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkai0
What size injectors are you using?
I have 600cc injectors.
HKS spark plugs
Stock fuel pump
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Alkatraz

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Let me dust off my brain a little see if I can remember my thermodynamics lol.

Humid air has a higher cooling capacity than dry air because of its water vapor content. As a result, humid air can absorb more heat off the radiator and hence cool better (look up evaporative cooling principles). Humidity also adds a safety factor to boosted cars because it helps cool the intake air and lower the combustion temps reducing the chances of knock.

Problem is, the water vapor in humid air takes up space. 1L of humid air would have less oxygen in it than 1L of dry air. This means engines would have to work a little harder due to the reduced oxygen content.

That's what I remember, I could be wrong
I did a bit of reading after I posted that question Sam and from what I read, you are spot on. Humidity is better for cooling but does result in less oxygen for the engine, therefore less power.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Alkatraz

Are Black Betty and I seriously the only ones out of the 27 who put their names down for the group buy, who have actually paid and are getting the kit? Come on people speak up!

Anyway, whilst everyone except Black Betty and wattles were searching for their *****, I ran across a deal on a boost controller that I just couldn't pass up.
Greddy - Profec - OLED - Nengun Performance
$388 AUD (less in USD) is an absolute bargain for this thing, RRP is $525 and this is Greddy's latest model. Shipping to Aus is only $20 but will be more to the US. Still, if any of you manage to find your *****, it might be worth seeing if it is cheaper than you can all get there locally.
I found the exact dimensions of the unit (it is actually pretty tiny), made up a cardboard mock up of it and figured out that it should fit perfectly in the ashtray/cig lighter spot. I should only need to cut a tiny piece of plastic out for it to fit.

Hey wattles, if you know it, can you post up the part number of the HKS plugs that you are running. It turns out that the stock GTR plugs are $30+ each!!!

Everyone else, put down your magnifying glasses and post up your details!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM
DJMAC

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I was on the list but let GTM know I'm out for this season. I ended up buying a winter car so I can put the G37 in storage. Seems like a straightforward decision but I was actually torn haha. I will be watching very closely on everyones builds!!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:14 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
I have my greddy profec mounted in the ash tray, perfect fit just have to trim out some of the guts first.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Alkatraz

Originally Posted by DPE G
I have my greddy profec mounted in the ash tray, perfect fit just have to trim out some of the guts first.
Sweet! Can you post up a pic of it installed?
I trimmed out some of the ashtray over the weekend but will need to wait for the unit to arrive before I know how much extra room is needed.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My car is pretty much all stock (as far as engine and exhausts go) and I am just getting the turn-key kit
16G with ECUtek, recirculating BOV (whichever that one is, Tial/Turbosmart)

As I am still relatively new to the modding scene, previous experience tells me it's better to do upgrades step by step. Plus it will extend the fun that I will have modding

future:
electronic boost controller + gauges - I like the elegant solutions that uses the touchscreen, e.g. HKS Camp 2 https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...eparation.html or ModMe's carputer (albeit preferably with something more light weight, like a raspberry pi perhaps) https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...peed-temp.html

then swap out to quicker spooling ball-bearing garrett turbos, external wastegates, and 3" turbo back exhausts that GTM offers. Apparently they also offer 3" catted downpipes (def. kill some power compared to test pipes) - which I will get, as this is my daily driver and I prefer not to be bad to environment.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Unfortunately HKS Camp 2 is long discontinued. If you find some new ones under a rock somewhere let us know.
harbin9er (07-01-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 AM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How many people are going with ECUtek? Essentially able to control the boost with out adding more $ to the kit. Posted by Mike@GTM post#725 on the370z:

"Big announcement!!

We are pleased to announce another feature to our turbo kit system!

EcuTEK will be available as an option with our Turbo Kit that has some great features listed below.

Boost control. Yes, that means the factory ECU will be able to control boost which means having different boost levels via map switching. This eliminates the need for a standalone boost controller.
Boost Cut protection
Hybrid MAF/Speed Density Tuning
VVEL and VVT Tuning
Flat Foot Shifting
Flex Fuel (E85)
Stay tuned for more details."
ImPLiCiTv36 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Alkatraz

Originally Posted by navecm
How many people are going with ECUtek? Essentially able to control the boost with out adding more $ to the kit. Posted by Mike@GTM post#725 on the370z:

"Big announcement!!

We are pleased to announce another feature to our turbo kit system!

EcuTEK will be available as an option with our Turbo Kit that has some great features listed below.

Boost control. Yes, that means the factory ECU will be able to control boost which means having different boost levels via map switching. This eliminates the need for a standalone boost controller.
Boost Cut protection
Hybrid MAF/Speed Density Tuning
VVEL and VVT Tuning
Flat Foot Shifting
Flex Fuel (E85)
Stay tuned for more details."
Well seeing as it now seems that Black Betty and I are the only two actually getting the kit, then 100% of us are going with ECUTek.......

Boost control is not yet available though. I will be installing a stand alone boost controller in the meantime.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Willyr33
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gtm tt kit

Gidday Mate @Alkatraz
Im also getting the kit for my 2012 G37 coupe
Paid up front before our Aus $ plummeted
Turn key 16G, Thinking about 18G but when do they come on boost???
Asked for recirculated dumps, not sure about BOVs, might get them plumbed back if the law starts putting pressure on us over here, we,ll see
Getting the EcuTek as well, being a few performance shops here in Australia tune with them. But I would prefer a stand alone unit that,ll run everything but im not sure what will do it for these G37s,
Im a bit unsure of flash tune, but a lot of people here seem content with them. I run a Haltech E11 in my R33... SWEET!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 AM
nemesisG37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by harbin9er
future:
electronic boost controller + gauges - I like the elegant solutions that uses the touchscreen, e.g. HKS Camp 2 https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...eparation.html or ModMe's carputer (albeit preferably with something more light weight, like a raspberry pi perhaps) https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...peed-temp.html

then swap out to quicker spooling ball-bearing garrett turbos, external wastegates, and 3" turbo back exhausts that GTM offers. Apparently they also offer 3" catted downpipes (def. kill some power compared to test pipes) - which I will get, as this is my daily driver and I prefer not to be bad to environment.
Magden is still available, not the computer but the software.
I'm working on my payments. as far as the mods goes, 18g, act clutch, and find myself 13-15lb flywheel. I want to get garrett in the future as well

Last edited by nemesisG37s; 07-09-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Quick Reply: GTM MHI Twin Turbo Kit Roll Call