Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FI Preparation...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FI Preparation...

What will you guys do first before going FI.

let me start...i'm doing digital gauges first. just received my HKS camp 2 along with my navtool. will be installing it this weekend but too bad i don't have enough $$$ to get the r/f unit and sensors that'll come next along with a oil cooler.

enjoy! more pic's to come this weekend when i'm finished installing it.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good stuff bro! can't wait to check out the powaaaarr

Last edited by xlack; 05-22-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SICK!!! I would invest in an oil cooler. Anything to keep the heat down. The cooler the better.

Nice shift ****! Nismo?

CANT WAIT!!! GL with your build!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Luck with the build. VERY interested to see how it goes.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 AM
itisagoodname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a question about the oil cooler... Like a turbo, the Vortec charger is oil cooled, this in turn adds a significant temperature increase to the stock oil tems without additional cooling.

However, the Rotrex charger comes with its own sealed cooling system with special "Traction Fluid" used for cooling as well.

Would the Rotrex system require any additional engine oil cooling? I wouldnt imagine it would need any more than the stock motor would.

Looks like you have the engine monitoring covered. I still think a boost gauge, a cheap laptop, and software with an OBD cable is more than sufficient.

Weiboy, are you already Uprev tuned, and is there really any benefit on tuning pre-SC?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I bought a GTM oil cooler and spacer ... I keep going back and forth between the Stillen and GTM S.C. ...
Old 05-21-2010, 02:38 AM
itisagoodname

Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
I bought a GTM oil cooler and spacer ... I keep going back and forth between the Stillen and GTM S.C. ...
x2 but i think i'm leaning toward GTM... Im just waiting to see who gets CARB approval first. Stoopid CA...

Hmmm, is the GTM oil cooler comprised of the same parts as the oil filter relocation in their supercharger kit (minus the cooler)? I wonder if there's enough space up front for the IC, the Traction Fluid Cooler and the oil cooler with the GTM kit.

Last edited by itisagoodname; 05-21-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:39 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by itisagoodname
I had a question about the oil cooler... Like a turbo, the Vortec charger is oil cooled, this in turn adds a significant temperature increase to the stock oil tems without additional cooling.

However, the Rotrex charger comes with its own sealed cooling system with special "Traction Fluid" used for cooling as well.

Would the Rotrex system require any additional engine oil cooling? I wouldnt imagine it would need any more than the stock motor would.

Looks like you have the engine monitoring covered. I still think a boost gauge, a cheap laptop, and software with an OBD cable is more than sufficient.

Weiboy, are you already Uprev tuned, and is there really any benefit on tuning pre-SC?
Just to clarify, the Vortech unit in the STILLEN supercharger uses the V-3 self-contained oiling system. There is no need to run any additional oil lines or tap into your factory engine oil. They are two completely different systems.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
yup, the V3 oil does not mix with the engine oil. That's the best thing about both SC systems IMO. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to permanently modify the stock oiling system.

As for me, I'm going to get an SC kit when my warranty is up which is April 2011.
However from now until then, I'm planning on the following

- Sport bumper (need the larger center section for IC )
- Engine oil cooler
- A/T oil cooler
- Transgo VB upgrade
- Monitoring system (maybe Magden M1b or a small separate screen like the Greddy Info-Touch)

OP, how are you planning on getting your AFR readings from the CAMP 2?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
yup, the V3 oil does not mix with the engine oil. That's the best thing about both SC systems IMO. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to permanently modify the stock oiling system.

As for me, I'm going to get an SC kit when my warranty is up which is April 2011.
However from now until then, I'm planning on the following

- Sport bumper (need the larger center section for IC )
- Engine oil cooler
- A/T oil cooler
- Transgo VB upgrade
- Monitoring system (maybe Magden M1b or a small separate screen like the Greddy Info-Touch)

OP, how are you planning on getting your AFR readings from the CAMP 2?
the Magden is discontinued already. if that was still available i would've gotten that in a heart beat.

this HKS camp 2 is not compatible with A/F unless i have FCON which isn't an option for me lol. so i'll be installing a analog A/F.

Vortech is the way to go if you wanna go SC.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
To the post about if the gtm has enough room for eveything. I talked to sam at gtm and he stated that there is room for the auto cooler and oil cooler on the g37.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Personally I prefer the Rotrex unit over the Vortech. Every review I've read that compares the two prefers the Rotrex unit. Either way, they're both great systems IMO. It's just a matter of which type of cooling/tuning/etc you prefer to go with.

If I could find a used Magden for sale then I'll be getting that, otherwise I'll get a Greddy unit and mount it between the a-pillar and steering.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Personally I prefer the Rotrex unit over the Vortech. Every review I've read that compares the two prefers the Rotrex unit. Either way, they're both great systems IMO. It's just a matter of which type of cooling/tuning/etc you prefer to go with.

If I could find a used Magden for sale then I'll be getting that, otherwise I'll get a Greddy unit and mount it between the a-pillar and steering.
i tried looking for a used Magden also with no luck. even if you can find a used one i don't know if they're still selling supporting sensors like boost,egt etc. Greddy infometer is a nice looking unit, also cheaper than the HKS CAMP 2. for me i like the clean look inside my interior without stuff hanging on the dash or pillar pods. so CAMP 2 was my best choice. i'll be installing it later on today. will be posting more pic's of the install.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 AM
DmfG37sTT

Goodluck, keep us updated!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Weiboy718

just finished installing the camp 2.
the cargo lamp switch is there for me to switch between nav and hks.
here's a few pic's. enjoy!