Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2012 G37S 7 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 AM
LAG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 G37S 7 speed transmission

Hey guys,

I've read the other 7 speed transmission thread all the way through and everyone is saying that the new G37 doesn't need the flash. However, my new G37S has the same problems as what everyone else with earlier models is experiencing. When I jump on the throttle, it takes a second or two before it down shifts, then the car fires forward.

Does anyone else with 2012 sport models have this problem? If so, have you taken your car to the dealer? Just wanted to take this question to the forum to see what others are experiencing before I waste my time at the dealer only to find out that's just the way the car drives.

Again, I've read the other thread and it's about earlier models. This is aimed at members with 2012 sport sedans.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Dont know if helps, but..

Yesterday when I was given the loaner, it was a 2012. When I spoke to my tech about it, it was stated the 2012 should have the patch already updated hence why I felt the difference in shifting and no lag. But you should go the dealer regardless. The update is done by VIN and if it qualifies. I felt the 'jerk/hard shift/quick shift' but no drag of downshifting.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by InfiniteSmoke
Dont know if helps, but..

Yesterday when I was given the loaner, it was a 2012. When I spoke to my tech about it, it was stated the 2012 should have the patch already updated hence why I felt the difference in shifting and no lag. But you should go the dealer regardless. The update is done by VIN and if it qualifies. I felt the 'jerk/hard shift/quick shift' but no drag of downshifting.
They actually go by the ECM / TCU #s according to the TSB, maybe the OP will get lucky and have the qualifying part #s.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
what's the build date on yours? I have an October 2011 build on my 2012. I get harsh up shifts and some lag accelerating at times, but no issues on downshifts at all. I may bring it up with the dealer next time I'm there and see if they'll check my software is up to date.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 PM
LAG37S

Originally Posted by BLamb
what's the build date on yours? I have an October 2011 build on my 2012. I get harsh up shifts and some lag accelerating at times, but no issues on downshifts at all. I may bring it up with the dealer next time I'm there and see if they'll check my software is up to date.
Hey BLamb. I haven't checked the build date yet. Keep me posted on what the dealer says about your software.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:09 AM
MauriceBoh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The update is done by VIN and if it qualifies
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very simple test:

(In a safe place) Drive at 50 mph plus and take your foot off the gas and coast...

The car should stay engaged in gear "normally" and downshift fairly gently as you drop speed. When you get to right around 25 mph, you'll feel the tranny go into 1970's Cadillac mode and it will no longer feel like the gears are engaged in a manual transmission. You will "float" along with the rpms barely above idle. The car will become flaccid/like a wet noodle. In other words, it will feel like a traditional automatic that you would find in 99% of the boring cars on the road.

If that happens you have the latest update. This is the distinct behaviour introduced to address people's complaints about the continued downshifting while coasting.

I am furious, because they even removed the downshifting from DS mode. They should have left the programming the way it was on the original 2009's, but just fixed the smoothness issues (which the latest revision does). Part of the reason I am furious is because aside from not liking that effect, they gave implemented in a way that the car feels like a split personality. Above 25 mph we have a sport sedan; below 25 mph, we have a Ford minivan circa 1990.

If you have this wet noodle effect below 25 mph, then any other issues you are having you are stuck with and just be thankful they are less than the issues that people who had the interim updates were stuck with.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceBoh
The update is done by VIN and if it qualifies

The update is done by ECM part number, NOT VIN!!

I spent a Saturday straightening out the dealer, see my other post.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Very simple test:

(In a safe place) Drive at 50 mph plus and take your foot off the gas and coast...

The car should stay engaged in gear "normally" and downshift fairly gently as you drop speed. When you get to right around 25 mph, you'll feel the tranny go into 1970's Cadillac mode and it will no longer feel like the gears are engaged in a manual transmission. You will "float" along with the rpms barely above idle. The car will become flaccid/like a wet noodle. In other words, it will feel like a traditional automatic that you would find in 99% of the boring cars on the road.

If that happens you have the latest update. This is the distinct behaviour introduced to address people's complaints about the continued downshifting while coasting.

I am furious, because they even removed the downshifting from DS mode. They should have left the programming the way it was on the original 2009's, but just fixed the smoothness issues (which the latest revision does). Part of the reason I am furious is because aside from not liking that effect, they gave implemented in a way that the car feels like a split personality. Above 25 mph we have a sport sedan; below 25 mph, we have a Ford minivan circa 1990.

If you have this wet noodle effect below 25 mph, then any other issues you are having you are stuck with and just be thankful they are less than the issues that people who had the interim updates were stuck with.

You do not have the latest update, that sounds like the 10-075, not the 12-027.

My DS is NOT neutered its just more gentle.

See my other posts regarding dealer mistakes.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
They actually go by the ECM / TCU #s according to the TSB, maybe the OP will get lucky and have the qualifying part #s.
They dont go by the TSB, your ECM number is read by the Consult III+ computer, and any updates will come up as a reprogram.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 AM
netwiser

Originally Posted by BLamb
My built date is Nov 2011 on my 2012 G37x not S though. I have the same issue described here.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
1SMOKEYG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not tied to VIN's, but ECU/TCM #'s. It has to be hooked up on the cpu for them to determine. I just had my 2011 sedan re-programmed and it's so much better and drives pretty close to the 2012 sedan loaner I had for 3.5 days. IMHO, I would really be careful to assimilate your symptoms to some of what is on the other/original 7at thread as not everyone was feeling those symptoms with the same severity as others. I am in the group where it was not a huge problem as others. But when I was in the 2012, I felt/heard the difference between the new 2012's and my pre-reprogram 2011. Now, it feels very close to the same as 2012. The other reason to be careful - as much as I love the re-program when in D mode, I'm a little dissapointed w/ the DS mode. It took away the aggression & subdued the rev matching I really enjoyed before the re-program.

It's a tradeoff for sure...but the pros - "it just goes", the reprogram has changed the acceleration of the car and I can now feel every bit of the 269/328 power curve the VQ was intended to produce(actually the car got away from me a little yesterday b/c I'm still adjusting to the day and night improvement)...I will post more of my review of the reprogram on the original 7AT thread...

Just bring it in and explain your symptoms...and continually check Infiniti Publications for the most current updates...GL
Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 1SMOKEYG
It's not tied to VIN's, but ECU/TCM #'s. It has to be hooked up on the cpu for them to determine.
No necessarily, go here, enter your ECM number.
If it shows a new ROM available, that update will have the latest ECM, and TCM software.

Nissan Publications
Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
LAG37S

Originally Posted by netwiser
My built date is Nov 2011 on my 2012 G37x not S though. I have the same issue described here.
Netwiser, you're experiencing the lag in downshift when you punch the gas then a second and a half later the car rockets forward? Almost as if it has to think about it first...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:54 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
No necessarily, go here, enter your ECM number.
If it shows a new ROM available, that update will have the latest ECM, and TCM software.

Nissan Publications
How do you find your ECM number?

Quick Reply: 2012 G37S 7 speed transmission