Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bitNine
Ah HA! They got it figured out. Seems that the even the shop foreman wasn't aware of ITB12027, and they got together and figured out how to get it applied to the car, and they say it's all done! Sweet! I'll head down there in a little bit to pick it up, and see how she drives on the way home! Happy they got that figured out.

Had a nail in my RR tire, which had a slow leak. They found it and got it out, and are charging me $25.xx for it. Called Discount Tire down the street and he says they would have fixed it for free... I won't be paying them for tire stuff again. They also put ester oil in the car at no charge, which I asked for due to a knock in the engine that it made much quieter. I have to say, Mike Ward Infiniti in Littleton, CO is one of the best dealers I've ever dealt with for any car, ever. They are typical of any dealer, always trying to wiggle their way out of stuff, but they have always gone a bit above otherwise, and tried their hardest to make me a happy Infiniti owner, and that makes me happy.

I'll post later on how the update changes my car. I'm sure it's awesome!
That's funny. I took along the 027A TSB printout to the 'other dealer', described my problem and the service WRITER said and I quote "There's a potential fix just come out for that, we'll check to see if it will apply to your car". I then showed her the TSB and she said "yep that's the one I was talking about".

Amazing.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by netwiser
Called to Alta Infiniti dealer in Toronto just now, the service resp knew what I was talking about. He said the update so far is for 2011 or early, get no chance to do on 2012 yet. Also, he said that since my car is new, only 1200kms, it will be better to wait till 6000 kms, and then call in one week advanced if the feeling is still there, they will give a loner car and take it for testing to see whether the update is applicable.

Finger crossing....
What part of "it doesn't apply to 2012's" do you not understand? 2009 to 2011 is being updated to what you already have on your 2012 (or as close as they can make it).
Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM
XSivG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marc Collins, although the new ITB does not apply to the 2012 model year, from what I've read some owners of EARLY build 12's are experiencing the very same problems as the 09-11 people !!!
Hope that explains it ???
Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by XSivG
Marc Collins, although the new ITB does not apply to the 2012 model year, from what I've read some owners of EARLY build 12's are experiencing the very same problems as the 09-11 people !!!
Hope that explains it ???
I'll pop in here and let you know that my loaner the other day was a '12 g37x, and the lag WAS present. Didn't think to check the build date though.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:45 PM
TRZ06

My lemon law G37 replacement

photojpg.jpg picture by TRZ061 - Photobucket
Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
I'll pop in here and let you know that my loaner the other day was a '12 g37x, and the lag WAS present. Didn't think to check the build date though.
Let's hope those folks don't have to wait two or three years for a working update, then.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Yes, I just did mine today.

DS "Neutering" - yes, DS Mode is almost identical to D now. If you drive calmly, there is no difference. It is slightly more responsive if you want to drive aggressively, but as others have pointed out, the new D is so responsive that it is unlikely anyone needs DS...other than as a way to access M.

M and manual shifting - slightly improved. Shifts are a bit faster and it does allow slightly more manual control (what a concept!) by permitting upshifts at lower rpms than before. It is still infuriating in that it overrides about half of what any normal person would want to do in M.
I don't disagree with a thing you said, except to say that it sounds like it's time for me to install my paddle shifter kit!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:37 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm really enjoying this car now with the transformed 7AT. Maybe a little too much. Enjoying the exhaust note of my ebay mufflers too.

Does anyone here really flog the car most of the time? I am FAR from abusing it, and I am sure I am much more gentle than other drivers here. But I mean I accelerate pretty hard at least 75% of the time. I can count the times it has been to redline on one hand (in 11,000 miles). You don't need to redline it IMO, to accelerate briskly. But I do take it to 5000 pretty often and then paddle upshift for that nice firm manual shift that it does with most-open-throttle. It makes me wonder how long this powertrain holds up long term to relatively "spirited" use. Any thoughts? Maybe I'm straying too far off topic for this thread, but it feels like we're all sort of basking in the victory for the 7AT after a very long wait.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 07-14-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I'm really enjoying this car now with the transformed 7AT. Maybe a little too much. Enjoying the exhaust note of my ebay mufflers too.

Does anyone here really flog the car most of the time? I am FAR from abusing it, and I am sure I am much more gentle than other drivers here. But I mean I accelerate pretty hard at least 75% of the time. I can count the times it has been to redline on one hand (in 11,000 miles). You don't need to redline it IMO, to accelerate briskly. But I do take it to 5000 pretty often and then paddle upshift for that nice firm manual shift that it does with most-open-throttle. It makes me wonder how long this powertrain holds up long term to relatively "spirited" use. Any thoughts? Maybe I'm straying too far off topic for this thread, but it feels like we're all sort of basking in the victory for the 7AT after a very long wait.
I drove my last G like that all the time, and my current G too
Never a problem. Keep in mind Nissan has been making sport oriented cars for a long time, and they've all been built to be driven.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CougarRed, Way back when on this thread (or maybe another one which focused on the Paddle Shifters), when I first complained about the LAGGING to my Dealer (June 2010), I met with Factory Techs and THE District Manager. After they both admitted to the hesitation, harsh shifts and LAGGING, I asked about (in fact was insisting on ) installing Paddle Shifters for Free - They refused . A number of members posted that installing PS helped quite a bit. The DS told me that "they are not for my G37X". This seemed to be fortified by the Factory tech too. The question seems to remain: Can you Install the Paddle Shifters on non Sports model Gs? If so, I still may be interested in doing that.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Almatti: Yes you can install the Paddle shifters on any Sedan. I highly recommend that you get them!! 30 minute installation. Mine is non-Sport.

You do not have to remove the wheel. Just move it all the way UP and OUT, then turn to one side to access one screw, turn to other side to access other screw, remove lower trim, move wheel as needed to install and screw in paddles, put back together. It takes some fiddling but just be patient.

I showed the paddles to my dealer and they said it is no problem at all, does not affect warranty.

I think I bought the paddle kit from here (O.C. Infiniti), here on ebay: INFINITI G35, G37 4DR-2DR OEM PADDLE SHIFTER KIT UPGRADE IN BLACK SPORT SHIFTERS | eBay

Get them!!!!

Originally Posted by Almatti
The question seems to remain: Can you Install the Paddle Shifters on non Sports model Gs? If so, I still may be interested in doing that.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 07-15-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Almatti: Yes you can install the Paddle shifters on any Sedan. I highly recommend that you get them!! 30 minute installation. Mine is non-Sport.

You do not have to remove the wheel. Just move it all the way UP and OUT, then turn to one side to access one screw, turn to other side to access other screw, remove lower trim, move wheel as needed to install and screw in paddles, put back together. It takes some fiddling but just be patient.

I showed the paddles to my dealer and they said it is no problem at all, does not affect warranty.

I think I bought the paddle kit from here (O.C. Infiniti), here on ebay: INFINITI G35, G37 4DR-2DR OEM PADDLE SHIFTER KIT UPGRADE IN BLACK SPORT SHIFTERS | eBay

Get them!!!!
Be aware that the paddles have zero affect on the transmission or how fast it shifts. Post update M mode is still frustratingly slow and stubborn (mind of its own up and downshifting and refuses to obey many manual shift commands).

Paddles are great--for one, they are not backwards like the console shifter (all real sports cars use right paddle for upshifting and pull back for upshifting). They are safer (don't have to take hands from wheel) and the movement required is smaller, so you get an illusion of faster response. The tranny itself is mediocre at best in terms of shift speed.

Infiniti could have taken the opportunity with the latest update, which turns D into a non-sport sedan, to beef up DS and M, so we had a choice to go sport or not. Who doesn't want choice? Instead, they have "neutered" both D and DS and done next to nothing to make M truly manual.

I ALWAYS want paddles on my cars, but I hope you are not disappointed after paying for and doing your special install. The novety factor will wear off quickly and then you will start to realize that you don't actually have manual control, which for me at least (and I am likely a minority again) is more frustrating than not using them.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:58 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Be aware that the paddles have zero affect on the transmission or how fast it shifts. Post update M mode is still frustratingly slow and stubborn (mind of its own up and downshifting and refuses to obey many manual shift commands).

Paddles are great--for one, they are not backwards like the console shifter (all real sports cars use right paddle for upshifting and pull back for upshifting). They are safer (don't have to take hands from wheel) and the movement required is smaller, so you get an illusion of faster response. The tranny itself is mediocre at best in terms of shift speed.

Infiniti could have taken the opportunity with the latest update, which turns D into a non-sport sedan, to beef up DS and M, so we had a choice to go sport or not. Who doesn't want choice? Instead, they have "neutered" both D and DS and done next to nothing to make M truly manual.

I ALWAYS want paddles on my cars, but I hope you are not disappointed after paying for and doing your special install. The novety factor will wear off quickly and then you will start to realize that you don't actually have manual control, which for me at least (and I am likely a minority again) is more frustrating than not using them.
Just out of curiosity, are you saying (through implication) that driving an auto is safer than a manual because one doesn't have to take their hands off the wheel?

I do agree on the M mode though. My BMW executed M mode perfectly. This G software basically won't let the shift go through under about 2,000 rpms. My former BMW started in 2nd gear in normal mode as a gas saving measure; would be nice of the G did that as well. I also agree DS should be as aggressive as can be. Oh well; maybe the next iterations of G37s will be as near perfect as possible.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 PM
netwiser

What part of "it doesn't apply to 2012's" do you not understand? 2009 to 2011 is being updated to what you already have on your 2012 (or as close as they can make it).
My 2012 G37x built date was Nov, 2011, but this TSB release date was May, 2012 and I picked up my car in Early Jun, that is why I doubt it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
bitNine

After putting a few more city miles on the car, I've got to say that this update is a 90% improvement. I still notice some lag here and there, but it's acceptable compared to how it used to be. I really like the way it shifts from 1st to second now. Much shorter shift time. Still occasionally lags on some corners when it's shifting, but it seems like it's not holding in the middle of the shift... it's actually performing the shift, and that's the lag.

Thumbs up!

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram