Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:29 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Yep, how can you concentrate on proper clutch shifting when there's texting to do, and lots of it
And talking, eating, drinking, reading, etc...

Yes, most people drive like idiots in the US...and it only keeps getting worse.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM
G35Rhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have ~1200 mi. since new flash ont 2011 Sedan Journey Sport. Much better than before, car is not nearly as "heavy" as before and down shift much more responsive in D than before. Still a little lag when coming out of a coasting turn but not as bad. Wish they had this when I had my '09, might still have it.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
You disagree--how nice!

This isn't my opinion, it's reality.

How many cars/models were available with foot clutches 20 years ago?

How many today?

How many in ten years? It will be close to zero. The trend is unwavering. Sorry.
The first automatics arrived in the 1930s. By the 1950s new car sales were sitting ~82% autos. Today the take rate is about 93-95%. Car makers like BMW however see almost a 20% manual take rate in their 3ers, Z, etc.

The traditional reasons to buy a stick are going away as well, cheaper (not always anymore depending on the model it could be more expensive), better fuel economy (no longer the case, modern autos are much more efficient), etc.

I agree there will not be many autos in the states. But for the past 60 or so years there really never was. In other markets though, standard is still the standard though that is slowly beginning to change.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
You disagree--how nice!

This isn't my opinion, it's reality.

How many cars/models were available with foot clutches 20 years ago?

How many today?

How many in ten years? It will be close to zero. The trend is unwavering. Sorry.
I don't know how many are available with foot clutches vs computers, why you tell the board model by model instead of saying: "it's reality"; which is just another "internet" factoid.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 PM
venkatsharat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@MarcCollins:

DailyTech - BMW Patent Shows Seven-Speed Manual Transmission in the Works

The Manual will live on.

Be a Man drive a Manual
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Dexter_Morgan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have some bad news to report. After riding the brakes for about 100 yards to a rolling stop (stop sign at a 10% decline) I experienced a heavy jerking / rocking back and forth when I went to accelerate through the right hand turn into the traffic lane.

This is the first re-experience after ITB12-027 was applied at the beginning of this month. Luckily there was no traffic coming because there was no room for error. Nothing more sad then not being able to rely on your vehicle when it counts. I now have no faith that this car can get me into or out of tight situations safely. Anyone else experiencing jerking or rocking when de-accelerating to accelerating in low gears?
I'm so done with all of this. First/Last Infiniti.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:14 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Dexter_Morgan
I have some bad news to report. After riding the brakes for about 100 yards to a rolling stop (stop sign at a 10% decline) I experienced a heavy jerking / rocking back and forth when I went to accelerate through the right hand turn into the traffic lane.

This is the first re-experience after ITB12-027 was applied at the beginning of this month. Luckily there was no traffic coming because there was no room for error. Nothing more sad then not being able to rely on your vehicle when it counts. I now have no faith that this car can get me into or out of tight situations safely. Anyone else experiencing jerking or rocking when de-accelerating to accelerating in low gears?
never experienced this...before or after update.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone else experiencing jerking or rocking when de-accelerating to accelerating in low gears?
Yes, ONCE, see my post from July 9, linked below: I got 2 or 3 rapid clunks/shudders in a row as I slowed to a stop. It didn't bother me much, and hopefully it doesn't happen often enough to be annoying. If however it interferes with throttle response and you can not accelerate while it is "jerking" then that will concern me. Hopefully it is still adapting/learning and that will be a one-time thing (fingers crossed!)

https://www.myg37.com/forums/3485368-post1687.html

Last edited by mikeb2004; 07-23-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the user name, big fan as well

Oh man, did you take it back to the dealer?

I got a call from my dealer and the update was already applied to my car, thankfully I know the tech personally to look deeper into the problem and apply the update.

I will post my experience as well once I pick it up today.

I can refer the tech I know to anyone in Broward County FL, just PM me if other dealers are giving a hard time.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
its been about 600 miles since I had the reflash done. I have been happy up until this point but there is one thing I am experiencing with this new programming that is really irritating. I'm finding that at 30-40 mph the car wants to shift into 7th gear. that's not really a problem, but when I want to accelerate somewhat briskly the car resists shifting out of 7th. this results in me having to give the car more than half throttle to get it to downshift to the proper gear. I sometimes have to almost totally floor the throttle to get it to shift, then when it finally does it shifts to too low a gear and hits like 5k rpm. I cannot give the throttle a little stab and have the tranny shift to a gear that puts it at about 3.5 rpm anymore. anybody else experiencing this?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 7AT Update Review

My thoughts if you're thinking about this update:

Overall, I'm very happy with this update and the car. My 2009 non-sport G has over 25K miles on it, about 10K since the 75a, about 1K since the 27a update.

Personally, I don’t mind the shake of a cammed muscle car, the ping from headers, or the hiss of a waste gate. (Sorry old school :-) Maybe that’s why I didn't mind the "personality" of the original G37 7AT map. However, I did appreciate the improvements offered by the first update, the 75a. I'd do it again, good choice in my case.

The reviews were also good for the 27a update. So I had it done too. I'd do it again, good choice in my case.

Net change from original trans program, in my personal opinion. No particular order:
- More "refined" behavior in both "D" and "DS".
- Downshifts are less aggressive / harsh.
- In "D" the car does not drop a gear as easily when coasting / braking. (i.e. when driving casually, the trans will not drop a gear with just the tap of the brake as it did before.)
- More "torque" at most any given time, do to better gear holding / auto selection. It's more "there". Much less "rubber band" feel.
- No pronounced audible pauses between up shifts in "D" as before. (Sounded like a manual shifting especially when cold.)
- I may be crazy, but, I'd swear the paddles shift quicker.
- Freeway speed gear changes are much more rational, quicker, smoother.
- "DS" isn't as aggressive as before. However, this is still an automatic mode, personally, I would use manual for spirited driving.

If you are reading this and don't have paddles, in my opinion, for ~$250... what's to think about?

That said, given the diverse personal tastes of such a wide variety of people that own G’s, I can’t help but think the way for Infiniti to go would be a multi-position switch with selections from slow and easy eco to track mode. Sorta like the different kinds of hot sauce at Taco Bell, people are different and like choice.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM
InfiniteSmoke

An update on my end. My tech stated the car did feel sluggish, hard downshift, and felt the '*****' were missing lol. But update was applied and I can feel a difference. The loaner, a 2012, I received felt quicker and more responsive than my G37S lol. Just did a 50-75 mile commute, and hit 100+ a few times to check response levels from 80+MPH.

Overall, Im happy and glad this update worked.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
About 1700 miles and 7 weeks since the update. Still no major lag noticed. I'll keep my fingers crossed as the miles pile on.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper27
never experienced this...before or after update.
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Yes, ONCE, see my post from July 9, linked below: I got 2 or 3 rapid clunks/shudders in a row as I slowed to a stop. It didn't bother me much, and hopefully it doesn't happen often enough to be annoying. If however it interferes with throttle response and you can not accelerate while it is "jerking" then that will concern me. Hopefully it is still adapting/learning and that will be a one-time thing (fingers crossed!)

https://www.myg37.com/forums/3485368-post1687.html
Yes, Dexter I do feel what you describe. Notwithstanding that the new Reflash has made the car more driveable with less LAG, the jerkiness has been a consistent complaint with me. It's not abrupt shifting but really a jerkiness (some people will say that they like that - more manual like) accelerating and decelerating in low to moderate scenarios. If you step on it generally at any speed, it's fine. But the coasting modes & moderate speed modes seem to exhibit the jerkiness - always did pre and post TSBs.

The 2010 G37X is my second Infiniti and my 4th Nissan product. My 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL (V-6), top of the line back then, eventually started to have Tranny problems (5 speed Auto). After some mileage (15K to 20K ??) it started to become abrupt and harsh downshifts {sudden and really harsh}. The dealer replaced the Valve Body, was a little better, but after a short while, the abrupt shifts reared It's Ugly Head. Again mostly in trafic coasting scenarios (20-40 mph stop n Go). I had about 6 months left on the lease at the time and never bothered to pursue it anymore. My Old Fashioned meechanic, (not the dealer), said it was not the Valve Body but the Torque Converter that should have been replaced. JATCO trannies seem to be problematic. My 2007 G35X also started to exhibit abrupt up and down shifts into and from 3rd gear. My Infiniti Dealer (still the same - Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY) , first replaced the valve body and then 6 months later after a return of the problem (not that bad really), had a New Tranny installed under warranty. The problem for the Most Part was gone. Now with the 2010 G37X which I posted so many times on this thread and other threads, I did not fully test drive the car. A short drive, felt the Pep,But NOT the Lagging, signed the new lease and off i went. Only to return the car 2 days later saying: "Something's wrong - she lags and hesitates".....That was first time I heard the response: "That's the way the 7 AT is...it's working as Designed"...The Service Advisor (no names), who had worked with me on the 07, was terrific guy, but could only offer those comments. Now with the issuance of this latest reflash, the service Advisors (whom I came to know ) have admitted that even "THEY" felt the same thing in their own cars including 2010 - 2011 Ms. The fact that I discovered the new TSB in June, prompted them to have it applied to their own cars. Infiniti has a way to go with the 7AT, but in fairness, it should be compared to other Multi-geared modern ATs (Lexus, BMW, etc.) In Fact Chrysler (FIAT), have come out with a new 8AT for the Charger / Challenger....That would be a nice car to compare the shifting quality of the ATs.

We can't lose sight of the fact that the emergence of the CVT (I have one in our 2010 Subaru Legacy - a terrific car for the $$$$$, the CVT GROWS on you as you become accustomed to it. Much less lagging.), 6, 7 and 8 speed ATs, is being introduced to produe powerful cars that attain or aspire to attain better MPGs. From what I read occassionally, VW seems to have the "Sweet Spot" in auto Trannies. Dual Clutch something or other..
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM
InfiniteSmoke

^^ I also remembered my brother had a BMW 535I with the SMG transmission. And within sport mode it would 'jerk' as well. But in normal mode it would shift perfectly fine. But, I did talk to my tech and other revisions should be in the works as well. As long as Infiniti recognized the problem and is trying to solve it, is something.

I dont much mind the 'jerk' of the shifting but rather any lag. Main concern would be if any parts internally is being effected. But so far, the update was much needed.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram