Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

klonking noise on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:18 PM
G-MENTED
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Another micro-necro bump. I typically don't shut off my car and then start it right away but did so recently and noticed "the knock" which went away within 5 seconds or less. I've been able to repeat it since. Shut the fully hot car off. Count to three, restart. I get a knocking noise. Had the dealer do a synthetic oil change last Monday and I noticed the knock again today. Going to head in to the dealer early tomorrow to at least give them a head's up and see if they'll change the oil using the Nissan stuff. Mine's a 2013, 21K and change on the odometer.
I got the same issue. Mine is a 08 G37S with 144k. Never had that problem until I had the spark plugs replaced and oil change.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:46 PM
ylee0401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a 370z base 2018 and it made that exact noise with same symptoms (at certain temperature startup) so I brought it back. Then I switched to a new 2018 370z nismo and it too is making that noise. the dealer contacted nissan Canada tech line and they said it is normal as other models do it too.
I live in Winnipeg, Mb Canada. it is -10 to -30 sometimes degrees celsius. that is 14 F to -22 degrees Fahrenheit.
Reading more, I think it has to do with the cold air outside. Not too sure. has anyone really figured out what the problem is for this?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:51 PM
pcwd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ylee0401
I got a 370z base 2018 and it made that exact noise with same symptoms (at certain temperature startup) so I brought it back. Then I switched to a new 2018 370z nismo and it too is making that noise. the dealer contacted nissan Canada tech line and they said it is normal as other models do it too.
I live in Winnipeg, Mb Canada. it is -10 to -30 sometimes degrees celsius. that is 14 F to -22 degrees Fahrenheit.
Reading more, I think it has to do with the cold air outside. Not too sure. has anyone really figured out what the problem is for this?
I still have the same noise since I first reported it in December 2010. Mine is a 2010 G37S coupe with about 92,000 kms now.

Oddly, it doesn't do it as much now as when it was new in 2010. I would say about only 50% of the time I hear the noise when I shut the car off when the engine has warmed up, shut down, then restart within 60 seconds.

still using same synthetic oil and same filter as before.

yes, I also live in Winnipeg Manitoba. Definitely has something to do with cold air as when the outside temps warm up noise disappear.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 AM
ylee0401

Originally Posted by pcwd

I still have the same noise since I first reported it in December 2010. Mine is a 2010 G37S coupe with about 92,000 kms now.

Oddly, it doesn't do it as much now as when it was new in 2010. I would say about only 50% of the time I hear the noise when I shut the car off when the engine has warmed up, shut down, then restart within 60 seconds.

still using same synthetic oil and same filter as before.

yes, I also live in Winnipeg Manitoba. Definitely has something to do with cold air as when the outside temps warm up noise disappear.
hey, hahah you live in peg as well? And you dont hear the rattling sound during 'warm' startup during the summer/spring?
I have the nissan ester oil with stock filter atm. Plan on changing filters.

The dealership is saying it is normal, so I am going to ask them, since it is normal, what exactly is making that noise...like what part of the engine is doing that purposefully.
Just glad mine isnt the only odd one making this noise.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:37 AM
pcwd

hey, hahah you live in peg as well? And you dont hear the rattling sound during 'warm' startup during the summer/spring?
I have the nissan ester oil with stock filter atm. Plan on changing filters.

The dealership is saying it is normal, so I am going to ask them, since it is normal, what exactly is making that noise...like what part of the engine is doing that purposefully.
Just glad mine isnt the only odd one making this noise.
Yeah, Winterpeg

I would say when the outside temp is about -2 Celsius or warmer then the noise disappear on my car.

I've tried Nissan ester oil, redline, royal purple, European formula full synthetic, among several others I forgot the name and different brand oil filter with no success.

My dealership at the time talked to Nissan Canada and they had no idea what is causing the noise. Eight years later now when you ask them, I'm not holding my breath they will have an answer.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your finding.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:21 AM
ylee0401

Yeah, Winterpeg

I would say when the outside temp is about -2 Celsius or warmer then the noise disappear on my car.

I've tried Nissan ester oil, redline, royal purple, European formula full synthetic, among several others I forgot the name and different brand oil filter with no success.

My dealership at the time talked to Nissan Canada and they had no idea what is causing the noise. Eight years later now when you ask them, I'm not holding my breath they will have an answer.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your finding.
ok so I will call nissan today.
just wondering, have you ever checked the timing system like the tensioner? or maybe even a different grade oil?
And over the years, despite the "problem", has there been any issues with the car performance wise? thanks.

I dont think we have 'faulty' engines, since this happened to 2 370z new ones to me. So I think it is "normal" for the vq35hr engines of ours.

I'll let you know what I come up with.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:46 AM
pcwd

ok so I will call nissan today.
just wondering, have you ever checked the timing system like the tensioner? or maybe even a different grade oil?
And over the years, despite the "problem", has there been any issues with the car performance wise? thanks.

I dont think we have 'faulty' engines, since this happened to 2 370z new ones to me. So I think it is "normal" for the vq35hr engines of ours.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Yes, the dealer checked all timings. My original post stated that they checked the timing of the VVEL actuator as well. They also flush the entire fuel system thinking it could be bad fuel. I've told them I only use Shell Top Tier gasoline since car was new. I still use only Shell gas for this car.

Yes, I have also used 0-20 grade engine oil with no effect. No issues with the car performance over 8 years.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:48 AM
pcwd

Yes, the dealer checked all timings. My original post stated that they checked the timing of the VVEL actuator as well. They also flush the entire fuel system thinking it could be bad fuel. I've told them I only use Shell Top Tier gasoline since car was new. I still use only Shell gas for this car.

Yes, I have also used 0-20 grade engine oil with no effect. No issues with the car performance over 8 years.

Also wanted to add that all these diagnostic services were recommended by Nissan Canada to the dealer.