Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

klonking noise on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Covale

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check the information on this site: Lemon Law America
See if this law applies to your state. If not, perhaps consider a change of address?

I only thought of this because my dealer was required to provide me with "Lemon Law" paperwork before I drove off the lot. It might help you out.

For example, in Texas this is what it states:

If the manufacturer, converter, or distributor is unable to conform the motor vehicle to an applicable express warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition which creates a serious safety hazard or substantially impairs the use or market value of the motor vehicle after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer, converter, or distributor shall

1) replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle; or

2) accept return of the vehicle from the owner and refund to the owner the full purchase price less a reasonable allowance for the owner's use of the vehicle and any other allowances or refunds payable to the owner.

Last edited by Covale; 12-09-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know if this is a problem on the new 370Z Nissans?

It's the same engine right? VVEL 3.7L v6?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:22 PM
PeterUbers

yeahp -- it does happen exactly the same way to the 370Z guys:

knock on startup - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Uho001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car has the same type of noise since day one, so do my friends infinitis(fx35 g35 etc), so i think what i will do is to drive it as it is and wont let local dealer touches my engine(i dont trust their work... sorry), if anything fails seriously then send the car back to the dealer. it may be go away after couple more ten thouthands of miles.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 AM
PeterUbers

Dealership is investigating this sound in my car currently --

here's the interesting bit -- the G37 '09 Loaner i'm driving does it .. exactly as the OP and my car... i tested several other '37 loaners on the lot with my service rep -- they all do it.

I think this happens in many many more '37 engines that people realize, and I don't know what it is .. but it does sound BAD.

I have the service department investigating this now -- and if they tell me there's nothing wrong with it -- no biggie, as mentioned above, i'll drive this car to the end of my extended (80,000 mile) warranty and then trade it in.

It rides like a dream otherwise!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
an update for those who are interested

Infiniti Reps met me at a local dealership about a month ago on this running issue. One guy just kept running his mouth and prevent me from speaking "its normal..." he kept insisting - he also said Ester oil is a REQUIREMENT. Which I countered, a recommendation, and the one who kept checking his Blackberry agrees with me These two didn't offer to shake my hand but commented its because they're concern with getting the H1N1 - who gives a flying f*** about H1N1 when I was really there to shake their hands right?! Well, you get the point... I also let them know that the loaner they gave me didn't make that sound, they responded that all engine are different But, I wailed, those two engines are VERY similar (VVEL technology), and how come my engine got replaced b/c the Infiniti tech at the arbitration said he "would be very concern about that noise." I was then told that when I got my engine replaced at 7k miles (through BBB arbitration) was because they wanted me to "be happy" They then ask me what I wanted, how many engine do I think it takes to clear up the issue? I said I don't know, I am not the expert (truth statement) and I don't want no new engine, I want the problem fix and I want an engine that doesn't make a noise like mine does (What I really meant was, how many goat can an Infiniti rep tell apart if 'they' all look alike?!).

So a few days after meeting the Reps I was offered an extended warranty (powertrain only I believe) over the phone, 90 mos/100,000 miles no paper to sign No pre-condition, which I gladly declined! I have enough qualification to cook up a Lemon deal, and I have started the Auto line arbritration process with the BBB (again!). will update...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM
PeterUbers

Anh3:

I would have taken the warranty -- I doubt you'd keep the car for 90 months or 90k miles, LOL!! I don't think you're going to get a lemon law verdict in your favor out of this one, I wish you the best of luck though. I have been through the lemon experience with my 2k2 Acura TL and successfully had Acura/honda re-purchase my car for 3 failed transmissions, one failure that nearly caused an accident on the highway at highway speeds.

Here's what my dealership and I figured out after 7 days of investigating this.

Both my loaner (an '09 G37x with 10k miles) and my car ('09 G37xS with 8k miles) make the noise in the following scenario:

1) the engine has been running (driven or just in park) unti the engine temp on the dashboard reads that it's up to operating temperature.

2) the outdoor temperature is less than 25 degrees farenheit

3) you shut the car off, and start it within approximately 60 seconds while the car is outside in the cold (and as per #1, the engine is at operating temp)

No engine codes were thrown, no other abnormalities were found. My friend with an '09 G37x coupe has the exact same noise in the exact same scenario (so long as you follow steps 1 through 3 above)

It must have something to do with the cold air that is taken in at startup (via the intake) after the engine is warm, because once it's warmer outside, these days it's about 40 degrees F in Chicago, both my loaner and my car do not make the noise anymore under any circumstances.

I still agree that the noise (and whatever causes it) is NOT normal, but i'm not worried about it.

cheers
Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 PM
pcwd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi there,

Any update or fix on this non normal noise at startup?

I have a 2010 G37 coupe with 3100 kms or about 1937 miles and noticed I have the same noise at startup. Temperature here is about -21C or -6F.

I drive the car for about 15 minutes till it reached operating temperature. Then shut off car to get gas or run some errands. Start the car back up again right away or within 5 minutes and I hear this metal clattering sound. Sounds like a diesel engine.

I don't think this sound is normal. Can't believe that this thread started in 2008 and two years later Infiniti still not have fix this problem.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It happens to my buddy's '09 G37xS sedan as well. I'm not sure if mine does that or not.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Staples

It's because of the type of cheap oil Infiniti uses on their oil changes. All the oil drains to the bottom of the pan and it doesn't properly lubricate the head when the engine is off. That's why sometimes there's hesitation or a knocking noise at initial start-up. If you use an ester based oil like Motul, that will fix the issue.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
pcwd

This is not an initial start up. I have been driving the car for at least 15 minutes. Shut the car off and then turn it back on within 30 seconds. I hear a loud clattering noise like a diesel engine for about 1 second.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by pcwd
This is not an initial start up. I have been driving the car for at least 15 minutes. Shut the car off and then turn it back on within 30 seconds. I hear a loud clattering noise like a diesel engine for about 1 second.
I understand that... when the oil heats up it tends to thin out. This causes the issue with the VVEL system not being lubricated properly. Like I said, switch to an ester based oil and it will fix the problem because it leaves a lubricated screen over the head which is where the "clonking" noise is coming from... Guaranteed.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 AM
pcwd

My car only have about 1937 miles. It still have the factory fill oil and is making the clunking noise.

I wonder if the factory fill oil is ester oil or just regular dino oil.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM
The Truth Hurts

Sad to say, but the weather here has dipped to around the -10 celsius territory, and I hear this clunk also, just as described. Not on initial cold start up. Has to happen with a warm engine, parked, and restart engine within 10-15 mins and will hear the metal-on-metal clunk.

I guess misery loves company. Maybe I placed too much faith in Japanese cars, but after having dealt with leaking sunroof, limp mode x 2 that the service rep says is not unexpected in bad cold weather conditions (kind of ironic), and this engine clunk noise, I think I'll have to risk the supposedly unreliable German autos next time around.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Frankyg37s

i get this too i thought it had something to do with clutch ????

Quick Reply: klonking noise on start up.