Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

klonking noise on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anh3
just got off the phone with an Infiniti service manager. According to Infiniti engineer, there is nothing to be done currently. If the owner have had the ITB on valve noise and Ester oil change, the car is fine, for now. The service manager said it is a valve train noise, but he couldn't do anything. So I am feeling like invoking a "Lemon Law" on Infiniti right now. Anyone knows good lawyer in Nebraska?! My personal opinion right now, and for my own sanity, is just to drive the car and give the Infiniti dealership a visit at least every 3 months to have them confirm the noise; if it still exist. That way I can have proof that it is a 'Lemon.'
That assumes the software update was completed. As I previously said, there have been a number of instances where the software was updated, the problem persisted or returned, and upon reading the software, the dealer found out the version was not the updated version.

As any IT guy can tell you, check the version after updating software to make sure the version fully loaded and is fully functional.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by notalk
That assumes the software update was completed. As I previously said, there have been a number of instances where the software was updated, the problem persisted or returned, and upon reading the software, the dealer found out the version was not the updated version.

As any IT guy can tell you, check the version after updating software to make sure the version fully loaded and is fully functional.
I've just got my ITB done about 3 weeks ago, and this ITB had been in effect for over half a year to-date. I've called to dealer and they said their softwares are updated automatically. It seem like Infiniti is trying to buy their time with this problem, on the other hand, I am waiting for a new ITB or recall...

So at least 3 people in this thread have this problem, and maybe more if people who have a vehicle with this VQ37 engine check their vehicles.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
notalk

I don't think I was clear. There have been a number of owners who had the TSB performed, and who after it was done, experienced the VVEL knock, either right away or weeks later. When the dealer read the software version, the dealer found that, even tho the TSB had been performed and software updated, the version in the car was not the current version. Either the update had not been performed correctly, or not completely, or, possibly, the vehicle, reverted. When these people had their software re-updated (updated again), no more VVEL knock.

It is possible your dealer did not perform the update correctly or completely and, even though you had the TSB performed, your software is not the most current version.

Last edited by notalk; 12-22-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
anh3

I am taking your advice and bringing my car in for the reprogram of the ECM again on the 26th, will update... Hopefully it will fix the issue.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Jambaa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anh3
I am taking your advice and bringing my car in for the reprogram of the ECM again on the 26th, will update... Hopefully it will fix the issue.

Any luck?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 PM
xcess torq

This evening got home and turned off car. Went to check and make sure the garage door would clear. Nope, had to restart to move in a couple of inches. Upon restart there was a loud noise like a hammer hitting a steel plate then all was fine. Move car up, turned off. Restarted immediately and it was hammer time again. I shall see if the noise happens in the morning.

There is no way in hell this noise is normal. It it not a tapping noise, it is a loud crack. I have never heard it before, on any car in any manner. On my Viper there is plenty of engine noise which is considered normal. This is an interference problem with parts, not a operational noise.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Heat

^Wow, if it continues, I would immediately turn it off and have it towed to the dealership. That sounds really bad.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 AM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by xcess torq
This evening got home and turned off car. Went to check and make sure the garage door would clear. Nope, had to restart to move in a couple of inches. Upon restart there was a loud noise like a hammer hitting a steel plate then all was fine. Move car up, turned off. Restarted immediately and it was hammer time again. I shall see if the noise happens in the morning.

There is no way in hell this noise is normal. It it not a tapping noise, it is a loud crack. I have never heard it before, on any car in any manner. On my Viper there is plenty of engine noise which is considered normal. This is an interference problem with parts, not a operational noise.
o_O whoa that is scary man this is kinda upsetting cause I dont wanna have that problem when my car hits like 12k =(.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:48 PM
FiremanJ

sorry to say, i noticed it on my car at like 5k so it doesn't take long to happen...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
DetroitG37Joe

i know its an issue but the klonk startup kinda sounds badass. maybe its the quality of the mp3. I need to go home and test this. im surprised that a non-cold start would ever have a sound harsher than the cold start.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Heat

I have 25k miles and I have never and any sort of engine noise.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
anh3

Well guys, I don't know what to tell you... I recorded that sound in my garage so it might amplified a little, but it is definitely loud and you cannot miss the sound if you engine have the problem. The noise was also confirmed by the local Infiniti dealer's service manager and his mechanic in live person and car. I went to the dealer on a 20 degrees day, drank their coffee for 20 minutes, and the noise happens every I push the ignition for a good 5-7 times EVERYtime. I discuss with the service manager and he said that it is some kind of a valve noise.

The noise is NOT continuous, it ONLY happens at the moment you push the igntion and the engine turns 'crack....' and then it's gone.

If you live in cold weather (low 40s degree), it is very quick and easy to check for the problem. And to reiterate, the noise only happens in my case, and I suspect for most others, at a certain general engine temperature; I have detailed the conditions in previous posts (beginning posts of this thread/topic).

Last edited by anh3; 01-14-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 PM
xcess torq

This morning the car started up fine and ran great. I have the same sound description as anh3, it is one loud hammer noise on start up, when the car was "hot". I did not test the restart tonight as it is cold and did not feel like messing around in the garage. Might test it when I pull up to work tomorrow but I have no reason to believe it will not happen again.

Reflecting on this a moment, I do not recall the noise when I filled up with fuel the other day. Car would have still be "hot" from the drive.

Will have to keep a record of under what conditions it happens.

I do suspect that I will do if it does repeat, it get it on record at Infiniti that the noise was there and under a normal condition. I will not ask them to fix it since they are guessing anyway. I guess the good news is that I don't restart "hot" very often.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
anh3

update on this 'klonking' issue

got a BBB arbitration hearing coming up by the end of this month or in June, anyone have experience in these matter that have sound advice?!

Last edited by anh3; 05-18-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 AM
iLlmAtIc21390

I usually make this noise after taking a dump

Quick Reply: klonking noise on start up.