Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

klonking noise on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 AM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
update

well, +2 for my G!!! met with Infiniti tech and BBB arbitrator today, and my G will be schedule in for a "last repair" on this 'klonking' issue within the next 30 days. Everything turned around, from the tech-line responding to noise that it was "acceptable" to the tech rep. saying they'll back their product and dig in to get this fix... He describe the problem best, it sounded like a "diesel engine"

my only concern is that they'll 'dig' too deep and my G is gonna be a guinnea pig for this problem

Last edited by anh3; 06-05-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
has the dealer taken apart the head and tightened the sprockets for the rockers?

honestly, i think you should just find a more reputable dealer to work with
Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 AM
anh3

Originally Posted by da mayor
has the dealer taken apart the head and tightened the sprockets for the rockers?

honestly, i think you should just find a more reputable dealer to work with
just negotiated the agreement today, haven't send the car to the dealer yet. my next closest dealer is about 200 miles away, this one is 50, but that might be a good point.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by anh3
just negotiated the agreement today, haven't send the car to the dealer yet. my next closest dealer is about 200 miles away, this one is 50, but that might be a good point.
i know it's tough for some owners to find a local dealer but if you're getting the noise still with the ester oil in, it might be some new parts needed into the head of your motor. just a slight adjusting.... i.e.... the vanos issues w/ the older BMW m3's
Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 AM
anh3

Originally Posted by da mayor
i know it's tough for some owners to find a local dealer but if you're getting the noise still with the ester oil in, it might be some new parts needed into the head of your motor. just a slight adjusting.... i.e.... the vanos issues w/ the older BMW m3's
I appreciate your responds, one thing I forgot to mention is that the Infiniti rep. said he'll personally be at the dealership when I bring my car for the fix, don't know if that will help in anyway with the issue... or he'll be there?! yeah this problem is very weird, only happens when the hot engine cool down significantly. my hypothesis is that either there are moving parts that are not being lubricated well enough, oil pump issue (oil not getting to all the needed part), or some other design flaw.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2 cents - based on the description this doensn't sound like a VVEL issue (warm engine, "diesel" sound/stumbling). It sounds more like the ECU is not properly managing the engine and if I was the tech I would first look at all the input sensor data (MAF, Engine Temp, Throttle Position, etc.) to see if they're reporting proper levels. For example, if the warm engine is somehow causing the MAF sensor to report an erroneous value the ECU may not be able to adjust the air/fuel mixture properly resulting in the stumbling you're seeing. But once you start driving the intake airflow could clear the condition. Just a thought, but these guys should have a detailed procedure to check out the engine's management system. They've probably been too lazy up until now. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
My 2 cents - based on the description this doensn't sound like a VVEL issue (warm engine, "diesel" sound/stumbling). It sounds more like the ECU is not properly managing the engine
FWIW, the ECU also manages the VVEL. The ECU controls the "variable" part of the variable valve timing and lift.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
anh3

Originally Posted by dmkozak
FWIW, the ECU also manages the VVEL. The ECU controls the "variable" part of the variable valve timing and lift.
it is most definitely a valve noise (possibly from timing), don't know if you guys seen the video I put on Youtube (can be found on posts on the first page).
Old 06-05-2009, 12:30 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkozak
Agreed but that doesn't sound like valve chatter type sound to me. It sounds like improper combustion or ignition timing. Hope they find it.

And my understanding of VVEL is the ECU changes valve timing based on throttle position to increase performance and responsiveness. That shouldn't be changing at startup.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
anh3

update 06/10

engine is going to be replace on Monday at local dealership... currently had under 7k miles on it

Last edited by anh3; 06-10-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Gratz on the new engine.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anh3
engine is going to be replace on Monday at local dealership... currently had under 7k miles on it

wow... replacing the engine for a new one... congrats on getting them to take care of you.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:23 PM
anh3

is possible

I know I am bringing this back from the dead but the noise is still there after the engine replacement. Is it possible that they didn't replaced the engine?! What's the likely hood?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
Agreed but that doesn't sound like valve chatter type sound to me. It sounds like improper combustion or ignition timing. Hope they find it.

And my understanding of VVEL is the ECU changes valve timing based on throttle position to increase performance and responsiveness. That shouldn't be changing at startup.
My bet is on ECU or a bad sensor somewhere.

Need to monitor all vitals at idle when the noise sounds and compare/superimpose sensor input/outputs onto a normal G37's. Seems like a timing issue mixed with wrong air/fuel mix.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 PM
anh3

and the saga continues... this is about the 4th time I have brought the car to the dealer for this noise, respond, "normal!" Just like the respond that was given prior to a BBB arbitration in which Infiniti decidedly replaced my engine at 6k miles. sad thing is dealer is 50 miles away, I just drove there again tonight just to show someone the noise b/c it was listed on the invoice/receipt as "cannot duplicate." wow! is all I can say.

Quick Reply: klonking noise on start up.