D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

G37 Coupe Blind-Spot fixed for $12

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Rob's-G37s
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
G37 Coupe Blind-Spot fixed for $12

I know a lot of G37 Coupe owners have complained about Blind-Spots on the Driver's side; and having scarily experienced this for myself more than a few times I decided to do something about it. Mine is a US 2008, G37S Coupe

I tried the little stick-on mirrors but neither liked the look nor the results, so I turned my focus on trying to find an aspherical / convex Driver's door mirror... like many cars have as standard in the European markets. The aspherical mirrors give a much wider field of view (at the expense of a more distant image), and take a little getting used to when changing from the (US standard flat mirror).

After many hours of searching I could not come up with any source for a driver's side aspherical replacement in the US; and I could not even get a response from Infiniti's European dealer network... so I decided to see whether anything else out there could be modified to fit.

After only a little while searching I happened to be in my local Pep Boys and was busily searching their stock of replacement mirrors. I took a photo from my iPhone with me to see if anything could be used... and amazingly I found a PASSENGER side replacement glass from the 2006 Toyota Camry Sedan which looked very close. I rushed this out to my car and found that turning it UPSIDE DOWN it was an almost perfect match to the G37 OEM mirror.

For reference the mirror is manufactured by K-Source and the Part Number is 90175; see below. I paid just $11.71 for this part:

Many drivers would probably be happy just sticking this mirror over the existing unit... but I wanted it to look totally integrated, so I swapped the old one out as follows:

Name:  KSource-90175-2.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  29.0 KB

(NOTE: That the passenger side mirror has the "OBJECTS APPEAR CLOSER..." text engraved in the reflective layer on its back, and obviously this is upside down when you use it in the Driver's door. On my mirror I put a piece of metallic mylar tape on the back; over the engraved area and can now hardly see this text. You could probably also paint over the text on the back of the mirror with silver paint... either way I can assure you it virtually disappears from view)

1. With a screwdriver carefully pop out the Driver door mirror and mount from the front and underneath of the mirror; there are two clips to pry. What comes out is a plastic frame with the mirror mounted on the front; it easily snaps back into the housing when you're done. (Remove the two terminals if you have a heated mirror - not replaced in my Florida car).

2. Carefully (with appropriate hand and eye protection) pop out the old mirror from its frame. The mirror is retained by some sticky white glue (which stays on the frame and can be re-used); expect the old mirror to break.

3. Once you've cleaned the glass shards from the frame, either use a heat-gun or put the frame in an oven at around 150-200 degrees F, until the rim starts to become flexible (its thermo-plastic). At this point carefully work the plastic rim around the new mirror... this may take a couple of attempts at heating and stretching. You will note that the new mirror varies in size by no more than about an eighth of an inch (it's extremely close to the original)... so with a little work it will fit almost perfectly.

Within minutes you can pop her back into the door and take a drive to admire your work. These photos are of the finished unit; you can see that the text is virually invisible, and that the Blind Spot is now completely gone:

Name:  Mirror-2-1.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  Mirror-3.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  54.8 KB

Last edited by Rob's-G37s; 07-03-2012 at 11:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rob's-G37s:
absentspace (06-03-2015), Rooster Tail (12-24-2019)
Old 07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow seems pretty good. It is a nasty blind spot we have in the 37 coupe, I will def try this out.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Epic first post. Welcome.

I've never had any problems with blind spots on the G though. If anything it's been better than all my previous cars.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Funny, I don't have a blind spot in my G. Then again, I'm using my mirrors properly.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. The 0$ cost solution was discussed some time back in post #11 and #15 in the thread below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...void-this.html
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Rob's-G37s
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
I hope at the end of the day that others may benefit from my modification; however clearly it is a matter of personal preference and perception. In my case this is my third G, but my first Coupe... and by comparison to the sedans I feel there is a blind spot, and I also feel that the new mirror has fixed it.

It's really down to whatever works for you... so definitely try adjusting your existing mirrors first!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 AM
jscoggan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 08 Cobalt SS, 08 Subaru Impreza, and an 08 Infiniti G37s, I don't have an issue in any vehicle over another as far as blind spots, its all about seat position and mirrors, those should be the first things you adjust to yourself when you get in a vehicle, (after you ensure your seatbelt rests properly) I do this weather I'm driving any of my vehicles, or even the vehicles at work (was a police officer for 5 years and had to draw a different vehicle for every shift)