Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Beyond Frustrated: Backup Camera not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Chris Olson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Beyond Frustrated: Backup Camera not working

Hi All, I've finally pulled the last hair out of my head - so figured I'd turn to the forum for some guidance.

Quick Summary
08 g37s Coupe 6 MT
Bose w/Nav

Had the car since new - and last month out of the blue my backup camera would no longer work. Guidance lines are on the screen, actual picture is black/blank. Here's what I've done so far based off the AV FSM:
1) Into System Diagnostics and confirmed:
- Backup sensor enables
- Steering sensor enables
- speed sensor enables
- From the component diagnostics screen, everything is green (Camera control module, camera, etc)
- No DTD codes showing

2) Replaced the Rear camera module with a known working module - no difference
3) Replaced the Camera Control Module with a known working module - no difference
4) Verified all connectors are fully connected/engaged as expected from the camera module, to the control module, to the display unit
NOTE: There are no other problems/symptoms
NOTE: I have steering guidance lines, so that tells me the Composite image signal from the Camera Control Unit to the Display Unit is working fine.

I'm really not thrilled with the idea that the dealership will diagnose/fix for somewhere in the $500-900 range they quoted me... It shouldn't be a complex problem, right? It's a rather contained system

Hopeful others on the forum here have run into this in the past, and there is some known or at least repeatable reason why this would happen. If you've read this whole post, thanks for taking the time and would love to hear any feedback you all may have.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:19 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I would suggest trying to check continuity of the video line going from the nav unit to the camera. Also, will need to do the same with the power/ground associated with the camera. I would also recommend using a TDR for the video line but most people do not have access to one of those. The issue with checking with a DMM is that you cannot tell where the break/damage may be in the video line. $500-900 is a ****ing joke so dont go to the dealer. Hell, you would be better off having a different shop do it for you if you are unable to troubleshoot it any further on your own.

The video line will be a coax or triax style line (i would assume). You will need to check continuity of the shields from end to end, and the center conductor end to end. You also want to check for shorts of the center conductor to the shields. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Sounds to me that the camera control unit might either not be powering up the camera or it may not be receiving the video signal from the camera. As I added the OEM camera myself I didn't want the lines and thus don't have the camera control unit, but I did have to hardwire the camera for power and video.

I would check voltage coming from the CCU to the camera. Assuming that the camera is receiving voltage and being that you have a '08 like myself with the AUX inputs, I would run a wire from the yellow camera wire to the yellow RCA connector in the center console, place the radio in AUX, put the car in Reverse and see if you get a image (in essence, bypass the CCU).

I'm sure it has to be something simple and definitely not worth hundreds of dollars to diagnose. Hope some of this helps! Good luck.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Prost777

I've had same problem, Blue screen + guidу lines
The problem was in trunk wire harness. where the rubber wire protection is bending on trunk opening/closing.
One wire (blue in my case) was broken
Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I had the same issue, black screen, but guidance lines were visible.

Dealer diagnosed a under car connection had gotten dirt in it. They cleaned it and wrapped it in electrical tape. Sounds like you've already checked the connections though.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:43 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not sure if this will help. Occasionally my (2012 6mt sedan) screen goes blue with the guidelines. Wiggling the ebrake handle will typically get it to work. ?
Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
The sensor in shifter plate is probably worn or loose
Old 07-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Denniz724

Originally Posted by Prost777
I've had same problem, Blue screen + guidу lines
The problem was in trunk wire harness. where the rubber wire protection is bending on trunk opening/closing.
One wire (blue in my case) was broken
i have the same problem and was wondering how you fixed this
Old 11-29-2018, 10:13 AM
pcwd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi there Lego_Maniac,

My 2010 G37 coupe backup camera just went black but I can still see the guidelines.

Can you please elaborate how the dealer fixed this? Where under the car the connection had gotten dirty?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by pcwd
Hi there Lego_Maniac,

My 2010 G37 coupe backup camera just went black but I can still see the guidelines.

Can you please elaborate how the dealer fixed this? Where under the car the connection had gotten dirty?

Thanks.
Not exactly sure, as they didn't show me. I suppose if you got under the car and followed the electric lines, you could find the connections and maybe clean them up.

FWIW, my was intermittent, it would be black one time, they fuzzy grainy the next. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:52 PM
stlthlyfe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all,
I have a 2010 g37x sedan (non-nav), with a 12" sub installed in the trunk.
Anyone ever hear of it not being good (for speakers or stock sub) to have the stock sub kicking simultaneously with the aftermarket sub? I'm not sure if its true, but i heard that you risk blowing the factory sub and/or speakers if the stock system's bass is turned up on the dash setting while running a sub at the same time.
Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
Mackpringle (03-28-2024)
Old 08-19-2020, 12:12 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
You might want to start a new thread with that question because it doesn't have anything to do with the backup camera.

I'll try anyway - does sub "in the trunk" mean there are no physical openings to the passenger compartment for the sound waves to pass through? The speaker is just in a box in the trunk pumping away? Does that mean all that low energy and moving air from the 12" speaker is trying to pass through the smaller stock woofer? If that's the case then I would think you could potentially shred your stock woofer as the cone tries to move further than physically possible.

Just a huge guess on my part ... start a new thread with your specific question so you can get a better answer.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:48 PM
JJ hunter

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
The sensor in shifter plate is probably worn or loose
bro where that sensor is located
Old 01-14-2022, 10:42 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by JJ hunter
bro where that sensor is located
Being that this thread is just about dead- and Surfnazi hasn't been on in almost 2 years- it would be best to describe your problem / symptoms. Then we can help figure out potential solutions. The shift position switch / indicator has nothing to do with the camera (or whatever your issue is).

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-14-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:11 PM
flipper316
Registered Member

My 2011 IPL same thing. Blue screen and guidance lines .

Quick Reply: Beyond Frustrated: Backup Camera not working