D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Clean your Throttle Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:48 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^Mine is running fine. Just reset your ecu right after
Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I was having the same issue.rpm was staying around 900-950. Problem solved by doing procedure below.

<u>Idle Air Volume Learning</u>

Description:
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced, or if idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

Preparation:
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied. Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 Degrees C (158 – 212 Degrees F)
- PNP switch: ON (Park/Neutral Position Safety Switch - AT only, MT fully depress clutch)
- Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, rear window defogger, headlamps. Note: on vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the headlamps will not be illuminated.)
- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up (For A/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.)

Operation Procedure:
1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning"
2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning"
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds:
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications:

Last edited by SlateBlue G; 05-23-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great DIY

Thanks. I was having the idle issue along with weird throttle responses and I stumbled across this and did the cleaning today . It took about an hour with removing my tower brace. Thanks again and WOW. Major fix. I was about to take her in get it checked out. I had not idea so much stuff could get in there on that side of the TB. I am reasoning that it has to be from EGR or is it back pressure from the combustion? To the poster who thinks it if from the high flow filter..... no so .... wrong side of the TB and I use the stock filters anyway. BTW I have 50K on my car and change the filters every 8-10. It seemed like the farther I went into the plenum, the less crude there was. Does this mean the TB attracts the oil and why? anyone? One poster said he installed Catch cans to combat this . is there a DIY on that? Feedback please.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 AM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cleaned my TB today at 16,3*** miles.. It is CLEAN! RUNS Very smooth like butter on a heat stick.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 PM
FM37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently cleaned my throttle bodies.

After succesfully cleaning them, I don't have the high idle issue, but when I start my car, it revs to 2500-3000 rpms then slowly drops down to the normal idle at 600-650 over time.

I never noticed it before, but at what RPM does every1's car start at? Is this normal?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 PM
VA_55

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Just finished cleaning mine today, and now car is on LIMP mode, engine light came on and RPM wont go over 2xxx.. did anyone here had the same issue? I tried resetting the ECU but still dnt work.. I really need your help fellas.

thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
bump for vadropped, i dont know what the issue is but im gonig to clean mine soon so i want to see the input!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No idea, I cleaned 3 cars' throttle bodies and they are all fine. Did you disconnect anything
Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 PM
kool_yaar

my guess you forgot to properly plug in the MAF connector to the sensor, i forgot to plug it in properly on my FX and had the same max 2k rpm. unplugged it and try again.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
ILLI_G37

So is this procedure applicable to 3.7L VVEL engine?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:04 PM
kool_yaar

^ yeah its the same thing.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:40 PM
ak2pacalypse

Originally Posted by FM37
I recently cleaned my throttle bodies.

After succesfully cleaning them, I don't have the high idle issue, but when I start my car, it revs to 2500-3000 rpms then slowly drops down to the normal idle at 600-650 over time.

I never noticed it before, but at what RPM does every1's car start at? Is this normal?

I also would like to know lol
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 AM
g37s jon

After cleaning the Throttle bodies it would idle around 800-1k rpm and if i revved the motor it would hang at 1500 rpm for 2 seconds then back to the 800-1k rpm fluctuating. I only disconnected the 4 bolts to clean the throttle bodies and 1 breather hose on each side near the TB on the inner side. I tried to reset the ECU, Idle re-learn and nothing. I brought the car in for the TSB ITB09-037b (Warping Rotors and Brake Juddder) which they did with no argument at 51k miles, and told them about the problem with the idle, but didn't tell them about me cleaning the TB. They didn't charge me for the TSB nor the Idle Problem, but this is what they went through.

"Verified vehicle has high idle, unable to perform Idle Air Volume Learn. Checked for vacuum leaks, GOOD. Check throttle for CARBON BUILD UP (oops!), GOOD.
Called TECH Hotline and advised to check the P/S Switch (don't know what that is) signal, Swap Throttles w/another G37s. IF O.K. Replace ECM.
Performed Inspections P/S Switch is good. Swapped Throttles with another G37 and tried to reset idle. Still unable to set the idle. Performed an ECM preprogram before replacing the ECM. Reprogram completed, Performed and Idle Air Volume Learn, GOOD. Idle Reset. Cleared codes and Road Tested, Good."

So from my understanding they couldn't perform the Idle air volume so verified that it wasn't my TB causing the problems by swapping it with another and Re programmed the ECM before it would be able to Re-Learn Idle air volume? Just got my car back this evening, my service writer left before I got there. I'll try call tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 PM
abice

Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
I was having the same issue.rpm was staying around 900-950. Problem solved by doing procedure below.

<u>Idle Air Volume Learning</u>

Description:
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced, or if idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

Preparation:
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied. Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 Degrees C (158 – 212 Degrees F)
- PNP switch: ON (Park/Neutral Position Safety Switch - AT only, MT fully depress clutch)
- Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, rear window defogger, headlamps. Note: on vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the headlamps will not be illuminated.)
- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up (For A/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.)

Operation Procedure:
1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning"
2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning"
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds:
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications:
I am having an issue with my idle also not really high but it is bouncing around 600-800 rpm, I also am having issues with laggy throttle response and inconsistent acceleration, and what it feels like is backpressure or exhaust issues. I am thinking about doing this to my car, however, I need to know what Step 1 and 2 ("Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" & "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning")

i also cleaned my throttle bodies about 4000 miles earlier, in addition, I installed test pipes, y-pipe, and an Uprev Tune
Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 PM
abice

I read back and saw the accelerator pedal and throttle valve positioning learnings, I really think I am going to do this, my car has been acting really weird and I did have my ECM replaced recently, I have a weird idle, and really inconsistent issues with throttle response and acceleration through gears

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your Throttle Bodies