Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Old 05-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Kromax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,

I received the items I ordered from your company, and am looking forward to detailing my car on Saturday. Two quick questions (although there may be more later) I have regarding the claying process. Since the car is new, I am hoping that after I give it a full wash, the paint will be smooth to the touch. If it isn't, I am prepared to use the clay and lube (I bought the ClearKote Fine Grade Clay Bar and ClearKote Quick Shine package). Am I correct that I should be applying basically no pressure with the clay bar? Also, do I spray the bar with the lubricant, spray the car, or spray both?

Thanks again for all of your help, George. I also want to post publicly that you and Detailed Image have been great, and you have already gone above and beyond what most companies are willing to do for their customers. Really.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kromax
Thanks again for all of your help, George. I also want to post publicly that you and Detailed Image have been great, and you have already gone above and beyond what most companies are willing to do for their customers. Really.
I second that Kromax. I've actually talked to George twice on the phone now and he's been a huge help to me! I'll definitely continue to purchase all my detailing supplies from him.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Hey george i just recieved my menzerna fmj kit from your site and i have a totally newb question.I have never used sealents before so do i have to strip off the wax and also is it better to apply by pc or by hand.

thanks,keith...............god i hate having to ask newb question,s.
Keith,

Ideally if you have any remains of a wax on your paint, you would be best to remove it to get the most out of your sealant. If you didn't remove it, you would only get the durability of what was remaining on your wax, since you're sealant would be attempting to bond to the wax not your clear coat.

A simple way to remove the wax would be to wash with Dawn, clay bar, or polish the paint.

I personally apply FMJ with the PC just because I think it's easier to get complete coverage with the larger 6.5" pads. There are no benefits in terms of results if you do a good job by hand though.

Let us know how you make out!

George
Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Kromax
George,

I received the items I ordered from your company, and am looking forward to detailing my car on Saturday. Two quick questions (although there may be more later) I have regarding the claying process. Since the car is new, I am hoping that after I give it a full wash, the paint will be smooth to the touch. If it isn't, I am prepared to use the clay and lube (I bought the ClearKote Fine Grade Clay Bar and ClearKote Quick Shine package). Am I correct that I should be applying basically no pressure with the clay bar? Also, do I spray the bar with the lubricant, spray the car, or spray both?

Kromax, thank you for the very kind words. We do our best to try to help everyone get the most out of their details and to design packages around your specific needs.

Yes, you are correct in that you want to gently glide it across your paint with enough clay lube on the surface. I spray directly onto the area I plan on working on. Make sure you do not spray say a whole door panel as the clay lube will dry up and will be ineffective and a waste of product. Work in small areas, wipe the remaining clay lube up with a microfiber towel (or rewash the vehicle after you are done claying).

Here are some how-to instructions and tips to follow when using a clay bar

Let me know if there is anything else I can give you a hand with, and thank you once again for your support!

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I second that Kromax. I've actually talked to George twice on the phone now and he's been a huge help to me! I'll definitely continue to purchase all my detailing supplies from him.
Thanks Shane, I'm impressed with what you have done with the few details I've seen so far, your G, Porsche and the Vette. Detailing is an art form, and you get better after each detail you perform. I am excited to see where you're new venture takes you and how your details will progress over time.

Thanks for the kind words!

George
Old 05-25-2007, 01:05 PM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can Meguiars ScratchX be applied by hand? My friend wants to buff his car tomorrow but he doesn't have the right products so he's wondering what he could pick up locally @ like AutoZone or NAPA that would be a decent polish. He has an 07 Z and it has a decent amount of micromarring & its black.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by vstrizheus
Can Meguiars ScratchX be applied by hand? My friend wants to buff his car tomorrow but he doesn't have the right products so he's wondering what he could pick up locally @ like AutoZone or NAPA that would be a decent polish. He has an 07 Z and it has a decent amount of micromarring & its black.
ScratchX is actually one of the best polishes to use by hand. I'd recommend that, and see if your local stores carry Duragloss, that's a great brand that is found at some local places and yields great results. Otherwise I'd try to stick with the Meguiar's Pro Line which is usually in the beige containers.

Let us know how you make out.

George
Old 05-25-2007, 02:24 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
ScratchX is actually one of the best polishes to use by hand. I'd recommend that, and see if your local stores carry Duragloss, that's a great brand that is found at some local places and yields great results. Otherwise I'd try to stick with the Meguiar's Pro Line which is usually in the beige containers.

Let us know how you make out.

George
duragloss 105 and aquawax are some of the best OTC products arguably, especially the aquawax, its so easy to apply and leaves an extremely slick surface. Can be had at most carquests
Old 05-25-2007, 09:28 PM
G-RULZ

Congrats on the new car purchase. I'd recommend picking up a quality wash kit to minimize adding imperfections on the car, a quality sealant and a spray on maintenance product to use between the bigger details.

I'd suggest the following:

Wash Kit #7
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Waffle Weave Drying Towel
- Poorboy's World Super Slick & Suds

Grit Guard Insert

Poorboy's World EX-P - this will be your sealant which looks great on white and will last 3 - 4 months.

Poorboy's World Spray & Gloss
- A great maintenance product for using on top of the EX-P between applications. I like to use it after a regular wash.

This would be a great combination of ease of use, results and good value without spending a ton of time in multiple steps.

Let me know if you need me to go into more detail on why I selected these products.

Enjoy your new car!

George
George,

I forgot to mention that we also had the cilajet applied onto our car. Have you heard Cilajet? Can I still use the products that you recommend?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2007, 05:59 PM
h2mann

h2mann - Great questions. Congrats on the new G and for taking care of it correctly from day one. When someone mentions to me they need a product or group of products to give them the best results in the shortest period of time, I usually think of an all-in-one type product, one that will clean and protect in one step, then follow up with a spray on sealant which can be used after a regular wash for quick and easy application to enhance gloss and protection.

As of now, I really only have one spray on protectant that is worth mentioning, Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield. This product works great over an acrylic based product such as, Menzerna Acrylic Jacket (a 2 in 1 product that lightly polishes and protects in 1 step), Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (a pure sealant that is very easy to use and yields 3 - 6 months of protection), Klasse All-In-One (another 2 in 1 product that chemically cleans the paint and leaves you with some protection) and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (a pure sealant that yields 4 - 6+ months of protection).

If I were told to do the best possible job in 1 step, I'd turn to one of those two all in one products, and maintain it with the High Gloss Acrylic Shield.

Zaino also has a similar combination, their Z-AIO and Z-CS, their two new products. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either route you choose.

The PC would be used to apply your all in one product, either with a white pad (for a little more bite on imperfections) or a black finishing pad.

If you are interested in doing one long detail session with multiple steps, then easy maintenance, let me know and I can tweak the package for that as well.

Look forward to hearing back from you. Congrats once again on the new vehicle

George
Thanks for all of the info George. I am planning to take a weekend very soon to do a complete detail (my last free weekend for a few months). I am planning to clay, seal and wax over that weekend. What products would you recommend for each of those steps?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by G-RULZ
George,

I forgot to mention that we also had the cilajet applied onto our car. Have you heard Cilajet? Can I still use the products that you recommend?

Thanks
G-RULZ, this is nothing more than a sealant applied by the dealership that may last 3 - 6 months if you're lucky. It's similar product to Perma Plate, Zxilon, that dealerships promote upon purchase of a new vehicle.

Chances are the Poorboy's will outlast and outshine anything they have done to the vehicle. Nothing changes with the recommendation unless you want to strip off the coat of Cilajet, which can easily be done by washing with Dawn dish detergent or by using a clay bar on your paint. This would give you a fresh surface for the EX-P to properly bond to.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Originally Posted by h2mann
Thanks for all of the info George. I am planning to take a weekend very soon to do a complete detail (my last free weekend for a few months). I am planning to clay, seal and wax over that weekend. What products would you recommend for each of those steps?
h2mann, great to hear from you again. For Slate Blue, consider the following for a great combination of looks, protection and ease of use:

ClearKote Clay Kit
Poorboy's EX-P Sealant
P21s Concours Carnauba Wax

Take a look at what Kromax was able to achieve with the EX-P / P21s Wax combo on his Liquid Platinum G.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

George
Old 05-28-2007, 01:20 AM
h2mann

thanks for all your help George. I placed my order and should have everything by next weekend. Will send pics after I am done.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by h2mann
thanks for all your help George. I placed my order and should have everything by next weekend. Will send pics after I am done.
h2mann, thank you for your support, I am looking forward to hearing about your results and seeing your pictures!

George
Old 05-29-2007, 02:46 PM
G-RULZ

George,

What are/is best polish to remove scratch, tar, and grease (wheel crome) off. I have an Integra 93 which I want to bring back the color to live and crome wheels.

Thanks

PS: I will order your product within this week.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
hoenignd

George,

Quick question....can a clay bar be used more than once? If so, what is the best way to store between uses? I have never had any luck in keeping them around for too long.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by hoenignd
George,

Quick question....can a clay bar be used more than once? If so, what is the best way to store between uses? I have never had any luck in keeping them around for too long.

Thanks
store in a plastic baggy with some spritz or two of QD to keep it from drying out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image