Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 PM
marty315

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was also looking for your professional opinion on zaino products, which you like better for an obsidian black vehicle and if zaino's not the answer for black, what is?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:31 PM
bpg1234

George,

I have a few white scratch/scuff type marks on the plastic polymer skirt of my new G35 near the front splash guard probably from a rock kicking up or something. Not sure how to get these marks off as I'm told polishing compound, etc. won't work on this plastic-type material. Any thoughts?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Nismo G

Not sure if this has been answered, but should i apply sealant before or after wax? Should i apply anything inbetween the 2 or before the 2?

2 bucket wash process
Clay bar
Repeat step 1
Sealant?
Wax?

or wax then sealant?

-Sean
Old 04-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sean, apply your sealant first and let it cure for a day or so.......then apply your wax of choice.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Nismo G

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Sean, apply your sealant first and let it cure for a day or so.......then apply your wax of choice.
I should let it cure for a whole day? Whats the difference between sealant and polish?

-Sean
Old 04-22-2007, 01:51 PM
GEE35FX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shane, one thing I was wondering, if you wax on top of your Zaino you can't add more layers of Z2 or Z5 on top a few weeks later as I do sometimes, or can you?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Nismo G
I should let it cure for a whole day? Whats the difference between sealant and polish?

-Sean
Sean, it's best to let your sealant cure for a good 24 hour period before you apply your wax over top of it. As for the different between a sealant and a wax, take a look at the post from Kevin below as it explains both in detail.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showpost...79&postcount=6
Old 04-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Shane, one thing I was wondering, if you wax on top of your Zaino you can't add more layers of Z2 or Z5 on top a few weeks later as I do sometimes, or can you?
Yep, that is my understanding as well Wayne. I guess the good thing though is that a wax will only last 4-6 weeks. Maybe Kevin or George will add their expertise on this.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Hey gang, I just got back from a mini-trip over the weekend and did not have internet access. I am catching up on a lot and will get to all of your questions as fast as possible. Sorry for the delayed replies!

George
Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 PM
07 G35S Sedan

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Hey gang, I just got back from a mini-trip over the weekend and did not have internet access. I am catching up on a lot and will get to all of your questions as fast as possible. Sorry for the delayed replies!

George
George-

Would you recommend this kit on Ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XL-Du...ayphotohosting

If not what would you recommend? My new black G has swirl marks from the day I picked it up from the dealer. I've used Zaino but the swirls are still visible but the shine is remarkable. Also have a hot rod and a compact car that needs a good detail. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by OH6 G35
George,
great info. !!

...but here are some additional questions:

How do you recommend applying the P21S Paste Wax ?
In a back-and-forth method or in a circular-motion method ?
...or does it really matter ?
Also, are there any other Wax Applicators that you prefer ??

...and who wins this "battle" ?

Zaino vs. Klasse ??

thanks again,
Dave
Dave - I apologize once again for the delayed replies. As far as applying the P21s wax, it does come with a nice foam applicator in the top portion of the jar. It's nice because it does not have any seems or edges and is very soft. As far as waxing in a circular motion or straight lines or any other combination, it really doesn't make any difference. The only time you are going to create imperfections in the paint is from the following reasons:

1) The surface is still contaminated and you are grinding it into the paint
2) You apply way to much pressure
3) Your applicator pad is dirty

Assuming you have properly prepped the surface (wash, clay, polish), you have a fresh applicator pad, and you are applying minimal amounts of pressure, it should not make any difference on how you apply the product. Think of a random orbital buffer, it oscillates in every direction. I tend to apply my waxes in circular motions, making 2 passes, one working clockwise and one counterclockwise to try to ensure even coverage.

When you say "battle" do you mean as far as durability, looks, ease of use, results, etc.?

I think both products are great and each excel in slightly different areas. Both yield amazing durability, both look very reflective, I would probably give the advantage to Zaino for ease of use when comparing Z2 to the High Gloss Sealant Glaze (I can't stand removing HGSG). I think they are pretty on par with what they are trying to accomplish. Zaino obviously has more products to work with considering Klasse is just 2 paint products, a chemical polish and a sealant. Another brand to throw in the mix is Jeff's Werkstatt, as they are often referred to as Klasse on steroids.

I'm going to go against the norm here when I say durability is one of the least important factors when I select a product for my personal vehicles. I detail my vehicle about once a month, so when selecting a sealant, I go more for looks and ease of use rather than durability. If I reapply a sealant like Poorboy's EX-P or Menzerna FMJ every 3 months, I'm going to still have complete coverage and protection for that entire 3 months. I'd rather spend 30 mins of work 4 times a year, than days of layering Klasse to achieve 6+ months of durability.

Originally Posted by marty315
I was also looking for your professional opinion on zaino products, which you like better for an obsidian black vehicle and if zaino's not the answer for black, what is?
I believe I've mentioned this before on this forum, but would like to reinforce process > products. When you start looking at higher end detailing lines such as Zaino, Menzerna, Poorboy's World, Jeff's Werkstatt, Klasse, P21s, Pinnacle, Optimum, Clear Kote ...the list goes on... it really comes down to finding the product that best fits your needs. Meaning are your goals to detail twice a year because of a busy schedule? Do you want to compete in a Concours Detailing Event? Are you an enthusiast looking for good results from easy to use products? etc.

I feel once you master learning the process and have tried a bunch of products, you begin to see what fits your needs and Zaino definitely has a place for many detailers. I admit, I'd carry Zaino if I had the option to, it is a great line up. Is it for everybody? No.

Based on the products I've used in the past, I'd probably prep a black show car vehicle with a quality wash and dry, clay bar, polish out imperfections with Menzerna's line of polishes finishing down with PO106ff. Follow up with Clear Kote Red Moose Glaze x2 coats and top off with Pinnacle Souveran for a few coats. The durability of this combination is literally 2 weeks if I'm lucky, but I love the dripping wet effect it gives off and is definitely an attention grabber. For a garage queen vehicle that only gets out a couple of times a year, this could be a great combination for them. For a daily driver, this combination of products makes absolutely no sense.

Again, I think understanding the differences between products and understanding the entire detailing process and what is available is the best thing you can do for yourself when determining which products you plan on investing in. If you'd like me to assess your needs and put together a package for you, please do not hesitate to ask, I'd be more than happy to.

George
Old 04-25-2007, 05:28 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by bpg1234
George,

I have a few white scratch/scuff type marks on the plastic polymer skirt of my new G35 near the front splash guard probably from a rock kicking up or something. Not sure how to get these marks off as I'm told polishing compound, etc. won't work on this plastic-type material. Any thoughts?
Do you know if these areas are clear coated? If not, you still could probably use a real light abrasive. You could try something like ScratchX or PlasticX from Meguiars which should be available locally. I'd spot treat a small area to make sure it didn't make anything worse, but I think the only way to correct the situation is some sort of light abrasive.

Originally Posted by Nismo G
Not sure if this has been answered, but should i apply sealant before or after wax? Should i apply anything inbetween the 2 or before the 2?

2 bucket wash process
Clay bar
Repeat step 1
Sealant?
Wax?

or wax then sealant?

-Sean
Sean - Good questions, Garnet Canuck had some good advice for you. The sealant would come first because that is what is providing you with the more durable protection. If you were to apply them in the reverse order, wax under sealant, you would lose most of the benefits that the sealant had to offer since its durability would now only last as long as the wax underneath lasted. At that point you might as well only apply a wax.

A polish in the true sense of the word, is designed to remove imperfections in the clear coat. A sealant and wax are going to protect the paint.

If you'd like me to go into any more detail on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 04-25-2007, 05:47 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Yep, that is my understanding as well Wayne. I guess the good thing though is that a wax will only last 4-6 weeks. Maybe Kevin or George will add their expertise on this.
Yep you guys are on the right track. Most natural carnauba waxes will typically only last 2 - 8 weeks. So if you are layering a wax over Z5, Z2 or any other sealant for that matter, you wouldn't want to reapply another coat of sealant until you were sure that the wax no longer exists on your paint.

Originally Posted by 07 G35S Sedan
George-
If not what would you recommend? My new black G has swirl marks from the day I picked it up from the dealer. I've used Zaino but the swirls are still visible but the shine is remarkable. Also have a hot rod and a compact car that needs a good detail. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
That pad kid is fine, but all it includes is pads and pad maintenance products. You would need the proper backing plate, the Porter Cable 7424, then the proper polishes and other products needed to go along with the pads.

Unless you were using the Zaino Z-PC, you would not be removing any swirls with Zaino. For swirl removal, Menzerna polishes are often argued as one of the best abrasive polishes on the market, specifically PO106ff and Final Polish II. If you need something more cutting, then you would use the Intensive Polish or Power Gloss if the paint was really neglected.

I would recommend claying your vehicle prior to polishing for optimal results, then you can follow up with your Zaino routine to protect and increase the shine, or your choice of sealant and / or wax.

Let me know if this answers your question, if you need help selecting any products, please do not hesitate to contact me.

George
Old 05-04-2007, 12:18 PM
sameernof

Hello George,

I'll admit I haven't read every page of this forum, so if you have already answered this I apologize, but I have a question on care for my leather seats. I have creases on my seats that come from sitting and moving around while getting in and out of the vehicle. I want to make sure that they do not start making the leather crack. I have started using Lexol Brand cleaner and conditioner, but is there any way to remove those creases, or make them less visible by smoothing out the leather? Thanks in advance.

Sameer
Old 05-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by sameernof
Hello George,

I'll admit I haven't read every page of this forum, so if you have already answered this I apologize, but I have a question on care for my leather seats. I have creases on my seats that come from sitting and moving around while getting in and out of the vehicle. I want to make sure that they do not start making the leather crack. I have started using Lexol Brand cleaner and conditioner, but is there any way to remove those creases, or make them less visible by smoothing out the leather? Thanks in advance.

Sameer
Good question, the best thing I can recommend for creases in the seats is to lay a damp cloth over the effected area and let it sit out in the sun for a day or so. This will help stretch the leather and help minimize them, it certainly will not remove them but it could help. Be sure to follow up with your choice of leather care products. If the Lexol isn't cutting it for you and you would like to try the next step up as far as results from a leather care product, check out our current special we are running on our Detailed Image homepage with the Leatherique bundle. It's argued to be the premier leather cleaner and condition available. I carry both the Lexol and Leatherique and there is a noticeable difference between the two.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything else.

George

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image