Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Awesome post George!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Kromax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Kromax, congratulations on the new car purchase! I'd recommend starting off on the right foot with the proper washing and drying tools so you help keep your finish relatively swirl free. You choose a color that does a good job hiding imperfections, however it is also a color that needs some work to REALLY get it to pop for you.

I'd suggest starting with your wash tools... a quality mitt and a good lubricating shampoo (I like Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds) will help minimize adding imperfections during the wash phase. Make sure you are using a 2 bucket wash system, ideally with your rinse bucket having a Grit Guard Insert as an added preventative measure to minimize adding imperfections.

For drying, I'd recommend using the sheeting method prior to even touching a towel on your paint. Following these steps will remove a majority of the water on the surface of the vehicle so that you minimize contact with your paint: After you have rinsed off your vehicle for the final time, remove your spray nozzle. Flood the surface of the vehicle from the top down. The flooding creates a "sheeting" effect that will self dry the vehicle. What I do is start from the top of the vehicle and move left to right with the hose. On the way back, right to left, lower the hose to the point where the water is falling and proceed to "catch" the falling water from your initial pass. Continue this method until you reach the bottom of the car. From there blot dry and absorb any of the remaining water with a quality waffle weave microfiber towel.

Consider using a fine grade clay bar on your paint if it's new to remove any stubborn contamination that may have settled onto the surface during the vehicles delivery.

Since you say you do not have swirls or imperfections, an abrasive polish is not needed at this time. As far as protecting your colored paint, I love the look of Poorboy's EX-P Sealant topped with P21s Concours Carnauba Wax.

This covers your paint. Let me know if you'd like any suggestions for protecting a new vehicles interior, wheels, glass care, engine bay care, etc.

I applaud you for wanting to take care of your vehicle correctly from day 1 rather than waiting for problems to occur and fixing them after the fact. Enjoy your new car!

George
Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted as to my results.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
hoenignd

George, I am stocking up for spring and would like to upgrade my current set of polishes and waxes. I was considering the following:

Poorboys SSR1
Poorboys World Polish
Poorboys EX or EX-P

Question: I have some light scratches and scuffs here and there that I think would be best suited for a light abrasive, such as SSR1. If I use this, do I need to follow it up with the World Polish as well? Or is that not a necessary step? I will most likely use the polish for maintaining the look, but just curious on your thoughts after using SSR1.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by hoenignd
George, I am stocking up for spring and would like to upgrade my current set of polishes and waxes. I was considering the following:

Poorboys SSR1
Poorboys World Polish
Poorboys EX or EX-P

Question: I have some light scratches and scuffs here and there that I think would be best suited for a light abrasive, such as SSR1. If I use this, do I need to follow it up with the World Polish as well? Or is that not a necessary step? I will most likely use the polish for maintaining the look, but just curious on your thoughts after using SSR1.

Thanks
Do you plan on tackling this by hand or with a buffer? I do not think you'll benefit from using the Pro Polish after the SSR1. It's a non-abrasive paint cleaner that will remove previous coats of protection, oxidation and add a little more gloss to the surface. It isn't going to accomplish anything more than the SSR1 IMO.

If you are using a buffer, I'd steer you in the direction of the Menzerna polishes as they will finish they paint better than the SSRs. They use a higher concentration of smaller abrasives that does a better job breaking down and finishing the paint finer and finer. By hand you'll get some results but expect a sore arm from hours and hours of hand polishing with some pressure to properly break down the polishes. I'd strongly encourage you to look into the PC if you haven't already considered it.

EX / EX-P are two of my favorite sealants for the money, easy to work with, sharp results, good durability, smell great, lots of depth and gloss. I think you'll enjoy working with whatever you pick up (lighter colored or metallic colors go with EX-P and darker or flat colors go with EX).

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have regarding putting together a package for you to meet your needs.

George
Old 05-22-2007, 04:10 PM
hoenignd

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm planning to pick up a PC as well (for my bday). Sounds like Menzerna Final Polish II will fit my needs quite nicely. I'll top that with PB EX-P and let you know how it turns out!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by hoenignd
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm planning to pick up a PC as well (for my bday). Sounds like Menzerna Final Polish II will fit my needs quite nicely. I'll top that with PB EX-P and let you know how it turns out!
Sounds like a plan, I think you'll be much better off with that combination of products. Let me know if you need a hand with anything else.

George
Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 PM
redlude97

George,
Do you have any direct experience with optimum polishes and how they compare to the menzerna line? I use the optimum line because I don't have a garage and have to work in partial sun alot of the time, and from what I understand menzerna polishes don't stand a chance in the sun, however I'm intrigued by the new po106ff formula and seeing if I will see a significant difference compare to optimum polish or poliseal w/ the sealant removed using IPA/water. I know working times on menzerna can be increased somewhat by mixing with rmg, so I may try that with the po106ff cut with RMG to get that ultimate clarity
Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by redlude97
George,
Do you have any direct experience with optimum polishes and how they compare to the menzerna line? I use the optimum line because I don't have a garage and have to work in partial sun alot of the time, and from what I understand menzerna polishes don't stand a chance in the sun, however I'm intrigued by the new po106ff formula and seeing if I will see a significant difference compare to optimum polish or poliseal w/ the sealant removed using IPA/water. I know working times on menzerna can be increased somewhat by mixing with rmg, so I may try that with the po106ff cut with RMG to get that ultimate clarity
If I had to detail in the sun I'd use the Optimum line myself. Hopefully by the end of the year we will add it to our products offered, I really like what they have going. I think Menzerna finishes down finer, especially when you are talking about the PO106ff. I can't imagine using IP or PG in the sun with out having a dust fest and the blink of an eye to break down the polish. Best advice I can give is to work in much smaller areas when working in the sun. I've used 106ff with and without RMG and did not notice much difference (I was indoors every time though), the 106ff is more along the lines of Final Polish II with workability if you've used that before. Using the RMG should help increase the work time and I did not notice a decrease in how it finished or performed with it.

Hope this helps.

George
Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 PM
G-RULZ

George,

My wife jsut bought a new car ML350 White 3 weeks ago and I need advice to keep the car clean and paint protect. What do I needs. I meant the basic stuff you would normally do a car wash.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by G-RULZ
George,

My wife jsut bought a new car ML350 White 3 weeks ago and I need advice to keep the car clean and paint protect. What do I needs. I meant the basic stuff you would normally do a car wash.

Thanks
Congrats on the new car purchase. I'd recommend picking up a quality wash kit to minimize adding imperfections on the car, a quality sealant and a spray on maintenance product to use between the bigger details.

I'd suggest the following:

Wash Kit #7
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Waffle Weave Drying Towel
- Poorboy's World Super Slick & Suds

Grit Guard Insert

Poorboy's World EX-P - this will be your sealant which looks great on white and will last 3 - 4 months.

Poorboy's World Spray & Gloss
- A great maintenance product for using on top of the EX-P between applications. I like to use it after a regular wash.

This would be a great combination of ease of use, results and good value without spending a ton of time in multiple steps.

Let me know if you need me to go into more detail on why I selected these products.

Enjoy your new car!

George
Old 05-22-2007, 08:13 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Congrats on the new car purchase. I'd recommend picking up a quality wash kit to minimize adding imperfections on the car, a quality sealant and a spray on maintenance product to use between the bigger details.

I'd suggest the following:

Wash Kit #7
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Waffle Weave Drying Towel
- Poorboy's World Super Slick & Suds

Grit Guard Insert

Poorboy's World EX-P - this will be your sealant which looks great on white and will last 3 - 4 months.

Poorboy's World Spray & Gloss
- A great maintenance product for using on top of the EX-P between applications. I like to use it after a regular wash.

This would be a great combination of ease of use, results and good value without spending a ton of time in multiple steps.

Let me know if you need me to go into more detail on why I selected these products.

Enjoy your new car!

George
Good beginning kit, but I'd suggest at least 3 sheepskin washmits, 2 for the car, and one dedicated to the wheels etc.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by redlude97
Good beginning kit, but I'd suggest at least 3 sheepskin washmits, 2 for the car, and one dedicated to the wheels etc.
Good advice redlude97. Also a second drying towel is always a smart choice.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 AM
h2mann

Hi George, thank you so much for all of the tips and advice. Its awesome that you take the time out to help out everyone-great customer service! Thanks for the tip on the sheeting rinse off after washing. I did it the other day and it cut my drying time in half.
Anyway, I have had my G for 2 months now and am getting ready for the first wax/polish session. I have been washing her weekly using all of the proper washing methods, 2 buckets, sheepskin mitt, waffle weave drying cloths.
My car is blue slate so I want to ensure all of the proper waxing/polishing techniques from the beginning. I am super busy so I am not able to do a regular waxing session. The car is my daily driver, is garaged at home and at work, and sits at home for a week a month while I travel. I live on the wet side of the island so I get rain daily. I was looking for something easy to apply and remove as well as long lasting. Bad shoulders make it challenging to do the work evenly so I was planning to invest in a PC. I have heard great things about Zaino, but also read some great things about some of the products you carry. With all of the info I gave, what would you do with my baby. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by h2mann
Hi George, thank you so much for all of the tips and advice. Its awesome that you take the time out to help out everyone-great customer service! Thanks for the tip on the sheeting rinse off after washing. I did it the other day and it cut my drying time in half.
Anyway, I have had my G for 2 months now and am getting ready for the first wax/polish session. I have been washing her weekly using all of the proper washing methods, 2 buckets, sheepskin mitt, waffle weave drying cloths.
My car is blue slate so I want to ensure all of the proper waxing/polishing techniques from the beginning. I am super busy so I am not able to do a regular waxing session. The car is my daily driver, is garaged at home and at work, and sits at home for a week a month while I travel. I live on the wet side of the island so I get rain daily. I was looking for something easy to apply and remove as well as long lasting. Bad shoulders make it challenging to do the work evenly so I was planning to invest in a PC. I have heard great things about Zaino, but also read some great things about some of the products you carry. With all of the info I gave, what would you do with my baby. Thanks for your time.
h2mann - Great questions. Congrats on the new G and for taking care of it correctly from day one. When someone mentions to me they need a product or group of products to give them the best results in the shortest period of time, I usually think of an all-in-one type product, one that will clean and protect in one step, then follow up with a spray on sealant which can be used after a regular wash for quick and easy application to enhance gloss and protection.

As of now, I really only have one spray on protectant that is worth mentioning, Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield. This product works great over an acrylic based product such as, Menzerna Acrylic Jacket (a 2 in 1 product that lightly polishes and protects in 1 step), Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (a pure sealant that is very easy to use and yields 3 - 6 months of protection), Klasse All-In-One (another 2 in 1 product that chemically cleans the paint and leaves you with some protection) and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (a pure sealant that yields 4 - 6+ months of protection).

If I were told to do the best possible job in 1 step, I'd turn to one of those two all in one products, and maintain it with the High Gloss Acrylic Shield.

Zaino also has a similar combination, their Z-AIO and Z-CS, their two new products. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either route you choose.

The PC would be used to apply your all in one product, either with a white pad (for a little more bite on imperfections) or a black finishing pad.

If you are interested in doing one long detail session with multiple steps, then easy maintenance, let me know and I can tweak the package for that as well.

Look forward to hearing back from you. Congrats once again on the new vehicle

George
Old 05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
superchargedg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey george i just recieved my menzerna fmj kit from your site and i have a totally newb question.I have never used sealents before so do i have to strip off the wax and also is it better to apply by pc or by hand.

thanks,keith...............god i hate having to ask newb question,s.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image