Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Old 07-15-2019, 01:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The cap simply adheres to the OEM cap, right? That's what it looks like in the pic. And if that's the case, it means there's an edge around the mirror, so I was wondering how obvious that was.
Gotcha. The mirror caps are extremely thin so it is not really noticeable. However, they are cut very close to the edge so you have to make sure you line them up well if you have a light color like my white car or you will see a bright white line between the end of the black on the mirror and the start of the black on the carbon cover.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,570 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Unless, maybe... what if you used a black double-adhesive tape, running an unbroken strip along that line? I bet that would solve the transition issue between the thin aftermarket cap and the underlying OEM cap.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Unless, maybe... what if you used a black double-adhesive tape, running an unbroken strip along that line? I bet that would solve the transition issue between the thin aftermarket cap and the underlying OEM cap.
You could do that, but really no need to if you just take the time to line it up correctly. Also, running double sided tape outside the cover will result in all kinds of dirt/junk sticking too it and looking awful after about a month.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I guess I'd have to see what you're talking about.

Unless this line is bugging you (no pun), and want these comments cleaned up. It's not like I'm going to buy a pair.

Although you know what would be cool? If someone were to offer thin plastic caps for a variety of cars, and you can select from a variety of hydro-dipped designs.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I guess I'd have to see what you're talking about.

Unless this line is bugging you (no pun), and want these comments cleaned up. It's not like I'm going to buy a pair.

Although you know what would be cool? If someone were to offer thin plastic caps for a variety of cars, and you can select from a variety of hydro-dipped designs.
Why do I feel like you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist? There is no line.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Why do I feel like you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist?
LOL. Maybe.

There is no line.
There is no pic.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

There is no spoon lol

The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So here are some extreme close up pics so you can at least tell where the mirror cap ends and the mirror begins. Normally, it looks like a regular mirror cap, just a different color. As you can see there is no white paint line when they are installed correctly. If you put black 2-sided tape up to or past the edge where they meet you would have the issue I talked about earlier with it attracting dirt, but you would also create a noticeable gap. This is why I spaced all of my 2 sided tape to be a bit inside the edges.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That actually looks great, much better than I was alluding to. The top line is fine, just like you said. The bottom line looks awkward, but it's on the bottom, so no big deal.

LOL at the spoon. Nice.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yeah, the bottom line picture is how it would look if you literally had your eyes 3 inches from the mirror. If you stand next to it you cannot even see it. But if you are looking for a reason not to get them for your car, that's easy- I don't believe you have anything carbon on your car.

I am getting used to them as the new normal as I quickly forget what they looked like all white. It actually ties into the other carbon on the car nicely, but if I add one more strand of carbon to the car anywhere it will probably look like a giant panda.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah, the bottom line picture is how it would look if you literally had your eyes 3 inches from the mirror. If you stand next to it you cannot even see it. But if you are looking for a reason not to get them for your car, that's easy- I don't believe you have anything carbon on your car.
I've some CF in the engine bay. But you're right, I won't be getting these caps. It did cross my mind, which is why I pushed so hard for details, but only a little bit, and not that seriously.

Anyway, I'm done. Sorry for bombing your thread.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I've some CF in the engine bay. But you're right, I won't be getting these caps. It did cross my mind, which is why I pushed so hard for details, but only a little bit, and not that seriously.

Anyway, I'm done. Sorry for bombing your thread.
No worries. I knew what you were getting at, you just had a weird way of asking- maybe you were afraid your car is starting to look too much like mine? I think white is the toughest color to pull off with these mirrors. The only way you can really do it is with tastefully picked out carbon bits on the rest of the car. Even then, I am straddling that line between clean looking and Panda bear pretty tightly.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well here I am a week later and I still like the mirror covers and I think they are keepers. They have stayed attached perfectly too. Initially I was not too sure about that as it is just 3M tape, but they are ridiculously light. I still have not seen the sticker they were supposed to send along with the mirror covers so their service continues to be sub par, but the parts are pretty nice.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Well here I am a week later and I still like the mirror covers and I think they are keepers. They have stayed attached perfectly too. Initially I was not too sure about that as it is just 3M tape, but they are ridiculously light. I still have not seen the sticker they were supposed to send along with the mirror covers so their service continues to be sub par, but the parts are pretty nice.
I approve on the cap. You did pretty good at the install for how that tape was layed Great idea on the edges!
Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
I approve on the cap. You did pretty good at the install for how that tape was layed Great idea on the edges!
Yeah, I am starting to like them more and more every day so I think they will stay. I think you mean "laid." How else would you have laid down the tape?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan