Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
jsut my 0.02 but I'm not a fan of those flat side splitters on almsot any car... I feel like they create too sharp a line on a car that has msotly curved surfaces...

if you do go that route you may consider somthing like this if you wantto use the side jacking points:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Anod...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

they're made for BMWs but they (or somthing similar should fit for the G

I would go for the mirror caps...I think they'd go well with your other trim pieces
That's why I was leaning toward the side splitters with the small winglet. The rounded edge matches up with the styling of the car better than the straight edge side splitters.

Those aluminum jack pads will actually tear up our jack points even more. I have rubber jack pads with a slot cut in the middle that seem to work pretty well.

I think you are right about the mirror caps. It is a relatively inexpensive experiment at this point.

Originally Posted by Rochester
If you're considering something unique for the profile of the car, here's an idea I've been thinking about forever... find a shop with airbrush skills, and enhance the shadow in the concave lower section of the doors.
I could probably even get away with carbon wrapping the entire side sill and that lower section of the door. I have seen this done on other cars with mixed results. For me I think it is a little much, but it might look decent.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I had to do some maintenance upgrades the other day. Nothing sexy, but all necessary.

I finally installed some new RainX wipers. They seem just as good as the Bosh Icon blades I had on before and hopefully they last as long.

My airbag light kept coming on for my Sparco driver's seat. I had to install this new resistor. Now the light stays off, but these resistors just don't seem to last. Maybe I have a bad brand. Anyone else have this issue with aftermarket seats? I also learned that I can just barely stretch the wire enough to swap these out without having to remove the seat to save time.

Speaking of aftermarket seats, my custom height seat rails were starting to rust from all of the salt this winter. I am not sure if it is just because they were painted aftermarket or not. I sanded down all the rust and repainted both seat mounts on the outside. Oddly the inside rails were still fine.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I finally got tired of looking at all of the track map stickers and peeled them off because I thought they looked too busy for how clean the car looks overall. I kept the Senna sticker and I think it looks much better now. What you can't see (unless in bright sunlight) are the black Nurburgring and Hockenheim stickers on both ends that I think are cool because I actually bought them at the actual tracks in Germany.

I was watching an F1 special on Amazon Prime last night that was pretty good and was reminded that Jim Clark died at Hockenheim. This got me thinking that I have now been to two of the race tracks where the spirit of two of the best racing drivers exists (Clark & Senna). I'm not terribly spiritual, but hopefully the smallest part of their spirits rubbed off on me and my driving ability. Wishful thinking of course, but if any portion of driving at and beyond the limit is influenced mentally, then I figure that is a pretty good mindset to have.

The F1 special also reminded me that the Jim Clark Museum opens in Scotland on July 11th. I entered into a contest early last year to win a special edition Jim Clark Lotus Evora GT410 Sport. I see that now they have had the car signed by all 20 F1 drivers in Monaco. I figured that was enough reason to enter the contest again and double my chances of winning. Here is to hoping that I am the winner in August.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 06-30-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

On Sunday I ordered carbon fiber mirror covers. They look good in pics so hopefully, they look good on the car. They auto billed me instantly, but I have yet to get an order confirmation so it may be a bit before I see the parts.

The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:36 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Very nice. Interested to see how the fitment is.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So EZSplitters does not exactly have what you would call "prompt service." The fact that they have no address or phone number should have been a sign, but I took a chance since a few people said they have good parts. I honestly think this "business" is some guy working out of his parents basement. They have a live chat that claims that they usually respond immediately. This is not at all the case. I put my order in about a week and a half ago. After sending many messages to them and never hearing anything back I finally got an order confirmation yesterday. It made me a bit nervous because when I sent the order a while ago, they billed me immediately. My order confirmation from USPS showed that the package had still not arrived at USPS so who knows when it will arrive. Hopefully, the product is good.
jpowersjr2 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I got my mirror covers today and got them installed. They look pretty nice close up and actually match the carbon wrap on my windows really well- I was not expecting that. They are pretty easy to install. Everyone at work really likes them, but I am on the fence. Maybe they will grow on me, but my initial reaction is that it is just a touch too much carbon for a white car.

The only bad thing is the service at EZSplitters. It took a week just to get an invoice and two weeks to get the parts. Not once did they even respond to any of my chat messages with them- the only way to contact them. They forgot to send a sticker I ordered from them. I sent them a chat, but still have not even gotten a response. I'm not sure why they claim that they, "tend to respond immediately" because they really don't respond at all.

The mirror covers come wrapped in tissue paper.

The raw underside vs. the shiny outsides. These covers are extremely light and quite thin.

Prepping the mirrors with 3M tape

The finished product looks pretty good close up. The finish really pops in the sunlight.

Luckily, the covers blend in with the carbon wrap around my windows really well.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The matching CF window trim, and tinted windows, are enough to make them keepers, IMO.

Good for you trying these things out.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-12-2019 at 03:47 PM.
4DRZ (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:59 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Looks really good. Disappointing about their service though.
4DRZ (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The matching CF window trim, and tinted windows, are enough to make them keepers, IMO.

Good for you trying these things out.
They blend in pretty well when you look at the windows and window trim, but I feel a bit like I am straddling the line between the black/white panda look. One more carbon part anywhere on the car (even the inside lol) would probably be too much. They are starting to grow on me so time will tell. Sometimes I think about getting a carbon hood that is vented and wrapping the roof in carbon, but that would be way too much. If I ever did the vented hood I think I would have to paint it to match the car.

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Looks really good. Disappointing about their service though.
Thanks! I sent them an e-mail too, but I still only hear back crickets.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
They blend in pretty well when you look at the windows and window trim, but I feel a bit like I am straddling the line between the black/white panda look. One more carbon part anywhere on the car (even the inside lol) would probably be too much. They are starting to grow on me so time will tell. Sometimes I think about getting a carbon hood that is vented and wrapping the roof in carbon, but that would be way too much. If I ever did the vented hood I think I would have to paint it to match the car.
Well, now that you bring it up... I might have edited the word oreo out of my previous comment before you saw it.

Regardless, the fact that it matches your window trim wrap is what makes it for me. Otherwise, nope.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, now that you bring it up... I might have edited the word oreo out of my previous comment before you saw it.

Regardless, the fact that it matches your window trim wrap is what makes it for me. Otherwise, nope.
Well Oreos are delicious. I figured we would be on the same page with this since we both like our cars to have the clean look. (The same reason I peeled all those track stickers off the back- except the Senna sticker because I figure if you have someone watching your back, Senna is a pretty good option.) These mirror caps are growing on me and the fact that they have a very high quality appearance is helping.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

What is the open edge like? When you look at it, is it obvious? I mean, I notice you didn't take pictures of that.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

What is the open edge like? When you look at it, is it obvious? I mean, I notice you didn't take pictures of that.
What do you mean, "open edge?"
Old 07-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The cap simply adheres to the OEM cap, right? That's what it looks like in the pic. And if that's the case, it means there's an edge around the mirror, so I was wondering how obvious that was.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan