4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Dremel should be a forum sponsor

EDIT: Good Call on the grease to assist silicon onto metal
Agreed on the dremel bit.

Originally Posted by Splitter
It was great fun! But that's why I bring up the fuel economy, because mine got MUCH better after the tune, but that was a custom road tune rather than just a base flash. You start with the base flash and then run back and forth with the tuner with 'road dyno' logs about 6 or 8 times before calling it done. I don't know how much Z1 push the first flash, but I got a lot out of mine through the iterations. Obviously, a proper dyno tune would be best, but Murphy usually dictates that the good shops are too far away to be a suitable option for a visit.

Your car is looking the goods btw
I think you missed the part about my car probably running pretty lean with the headers, cats, and exhaust before the tune. The gas mileage improved with those mods so the decrease is really just back to being similar to stock. Like most cars, if you just do a tune and nothing else, your mpg usually increases since they are rich from the factory. My car was lean with the mods I had before the tune so adding more fuel with the tune decreased the mpg.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I think you missed the part about my car probably running pretty lean with the headers, cats, and exhaust before the tune.
Oops That'll be it.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

In the last 3 days since I filled up, my average mileage has gone up 3 mpg taking the exact same route to and from work compared to the last few weeks. Maybe my last tank of gas was bad. Not sure, but I will keep a close eye on this. Hopefully, it stays at this level or even improves a bit as it warms up.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
In the last 3 days since I filled up, my average mileage has gone up 3 mpg taking the exact same route to and from work compared to the last few weeks. Maybe my last tank of gas was bad. Not sure, but I will keep a close eye on this. Hopefully, it stays at this level or even improves a bit as it warms up.
Maybe you found a station selling ethanol-free gasoline, that's the gain I get when I don't use crapanol
Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 PM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey I use E85 on a regular basis!!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Everybody skipped past your ride height change because the power mods were next (myself included) but do you enjoy the new height ?? Have you felt it change the ride quality other than less scraping?

Fender to floor measurements don't hold weight if the surface isn't plum level... but changing the height in one corner (raising it) would theoretically compress the opposite corner as the distribution of weight changes.

and lastly, being far from "knowledgeable"... at what threshold of height adjustment would a re-alignment be recommended? Raising the car, like you have, would take camber out of it but I don't see any mention or concern from other members that you address it...

don't hammer me with thread links and go do your research jabs, I do read lots but obviously haven't felt the need to retain the info lol
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Maybe you found a station selling ethanol-free gasoline, that's the gain I get when I don't use crapanol
You know, you could be on to something here. I did not even think of that, but it was a station on the other side of town I usually do not go to. Ethanol does mean worse mileage, but usually a bit better power.

Originally Posted by GNTLMN_Z
Hey I use E85 on a regular basis!!
An E85 tune? Nice! I have a friend who trucks around a 40 gallon drum of E85 to races across the country because of the tune on his Evo race car and the fact that it is tough to get in some areas. Hopefully, his trailer never gets hit. KABOOM!!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Everybody skipped past your ride height change because the power mods were next (myself included) but do you enjoy the new height ?? Have you felt it change the ride quality other than less scraping?

Fender to floor measurements don't hold weight if the surface isn't plum level... but changing the height in one corner (raising it) would theoretically compress the opposite corner as the distribution of weight changes.

and lastly, being far from "knowledgeable"... at what threshold of height adjustment would a re-alignment be recommended? Raising the car, like you have, would take camber out of it but I don't see any mention or concern from other members that you address it...

don't hammer me with thread links and go do your research jabs, I do read lots but obviously haven't felt the need to retain the info lol
All good points. The only time I ever notice a slight difference in ride quality compared to stock is on the newer roads where the seams are not right and you see everyone bouncing a bit. I think it rides ever so slightly better in this situation now, but it is a very subtle change and could easily be the placebo effect.

I know what you mean about surface level and compressing the other side when you only lift one side. As a result, I have measured on many surfaces that are supposed to be level and also measured days/weeks after driving so any changes would have settled. Oddly it still is off a bit in the rear compared to the front, but it is not enough to really worry about or ever be able to see the difference just by looking at it.

Anytime you change the height the alignment is going to change a bit. I will probably take a look at it once the snow melts and I get my summer tires back on.

It is funny to me that you mention jabs of doing research. This forum is not nearly as active as nasioc, where I go a lot because I am also a big Subaru fan (just look at my avitar). As a result, that site has tons of people like that, but also tons of morons and fanboys. I was just posting about the new '18 STI and what Subaru needs to do to their engine to make it viable again and how it compares to the Focus RS. I have gotten so much misinformation due to all the blind Subaru love that it would make your head spin. Fortunately, this site is nowhere near that level of BS.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

I also read other forums, as there is a lot of relevant information that covers numerous platforms.... and i just enjoy cars. My comment probably stems from seeing those jabs everywhere... some being warranted, some not.

I've considered raising my sedan slightly to compensate for our ****ty roads and allow for a little bit more travel/comfort/clearance, your insights are appreciated.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:19 PM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
An E85 tune? Nice! I have a friend who trucks around a 40 gallon drum of E85 to races across the country because of the tune on his Evo race car and the fact that it is tough to get in some areas. Hopefully, his trailer never gets hit. KABOOM!!
Yup. Got it tuned about 6 months ago in prep for when I finally boost it. It's luckily flex fuel so I don't have to pump a truckload of vp racing fuel jugs all the time.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I also read other forums, as there is a lot of relevant information that covers numerous platforms.... and i just enjoy cars. My comment probably stems from seeing those jabs everywhere... some being warranted, some not.

I've considered raising my sedan slightly to compensate for our ****ty roads and allow for a little bit more travel/comfort/clearance, your insights are appreciated.
Do you have the Tein Basis too?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

No I went with Powertrix UL's. Been happy with the ride, although I only have 3k on them thus far.... cars parked. Hoping to dial them in before providing a better review, just received rear extenders in the mail yesterday..which will let me adjust settings from the trunk.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No I went with Powertrix UL's. Been happy with the ride, although I only have 3k on them thus far.... cars parked. Hoping to dial them in before providing a better review, just received rear extenders in the mail yesterday..which will let me adjust settings from the trunk.
Adjusting settings from the trunk would be nice. I am not familiar with Powertrix UL's.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The other night I tried to install all 3 of Z1 Motorsports rear diff bushings. I got these with the Z1 increased capacity rear diff cover with cooling fins to fix my massive diff overheating issue at Road America last fall.

I heard the subframe diff bushing eventually leaks so I figured I would replace the bushings at the same time. Unfortunately, the guys at Z1 did not tell me the bushing in the rear subframe needs to be cut, drained, and sawed out. Would have been nice to know at the time of ordering.

As a result, I only put in the two front diff bushings. Install is pretty straight forward. I notice a very slight increase in response and fortunately no increase in NVH. You might notice more NVH with stock exhaust. I will report back when I have time to install the subframe diff bushing.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I called a few auto parts stores the other day looking for tools for rent to press in the rear differential bushing at the back of the car since there is not much room to work. Advance Auto Parts and O'Reilly came up blank, but Autozone thought they might have something that would work. I brought in the bushing and it looks like the control arm bushing kit below will work. You rent it for $115 and get all your money back when you return the tools. I think I will get some time late next month in the shop to see if the tools work.

This will be good info. to know for anyone who wants to do these bushings since it is not a simple plug and play. In a Nissan shop fully equipped with tools we still did not have the specialty tools needed to press in the rear subframe differential bushing on the car.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan