Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
On that note... How well would vinyl stickers hold up on the underside of the hood, like towards the front? Just for argument's sake.

I was looking at Louith's pic just now (below), really liking what he did with the custom work on the underside of the hood. I'm not thinking of painting it, but I did ditch the hood liner years ago, and I do have a handful of go-fast decals collected over the years.

Originally Posted by louith
Old 11-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I know how much you love the f type, I had the opportunity to auto cross the type f r over the weekend, however the track was FAR too short to get a feel for the car. Very disappointed. Also did a hot lap in a type f r at circuit of the Americas with semiretired driver Davy Jones. Omg that car. In race mod the super charged v6 sounds amazing with all the pops and gurgles. And the awd with a pro driver.. well it is very intense and the car just held on. Davy was driving, but you could tell there was more to be rung out of both driver and car.

I was disappointed I wasn’t able to ride in the super charged v8 with carbon ceramic brakes. What ever the submodel is.

Just thought I’d share!
Attached Thumbnails Rochester's new G-photo287.jpg   Rochester's new G-photo928.jpg   Rochester's new G-photo406.jpg  
Old 11-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The only F-Type I've ever driven was three to four years ago, and that was a F-Type S Coupe automatic. With an adjustable suspension and an active exhaust, the car was both luxurious, and then monstrous... entirely up to the driver. While I suspect the F-Type R is all-the-time monstrous, making me content to aspire for the F-Type S 6MT. I think 380 supercharged horsepower, RWD limited slip, manual transmission, sport suspension, etc. is just the right combo to make me happy.

Still, I'm very jealous, Jonesy. That must have been a moment.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-07-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I was walking the dog and thinking about the last six years with this car, wondering what I'm doing with it. I think as I get old, the car became my only hobby in a lifestyle I've slowed down into. With no complaints or judgement before or after, I'm just getting older and more lazy and am preferring things uncomplicated.
I've been thinking the same lately.

I've always modded my cars to varying degrees, but I seem to be losing interest in it. Maybe it's because there isn't another big mod I'm planning for the G, or maybe it's because the community as a whole seems to have slowed down, or maybe I'm having a harder time justifying the cost and time now that I have a family and the days of spending a whole weekend turning wrenchs is over

It's neither good or bad, but I find myself thinking more about what my next car going to be, yet I'm not ready to move on. This car is still exhilarating to drive on an empty back road.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:29 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
On that note... How well would vinyl stickers hold up on the underside of the hood, like towards the front? Just for argument's sake.

I was looking at Louith's pic just now (below), really liking what he did with the custom work on the underside of the hood. I'm not thinking of painting it, but I did ditch the hood liner years ago, and I do have a handful of go-fast decals collected over the years.
The stickers should hold up fine for you, even as hot as this engine gets. All my past track cars were somewhat sleepers on the outside, but I put all the brand stickers under the hood. They all held up fine at many track days.

Did you find the cause of your inner tire wear? I noticed a similar problem with my car when I switched over to snows this weekend. I could hear the tires getting just a touch louder than usual in the front and suspected some cupping. It was fairly slight under visual inspection, but you could feel it. I knew I had negative camber in the back so I swapped wheels front to back, roasted the tires a few times and voila, no more cupped tires.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The stickers should hold up fine for you, even as hot as this engine gets. All my past track cars were somewhat sleepers on the outside, but I put all the brand stickers under the hood. They all held up fine at many track days.
Cool. Thanks. I've had this idea in the back of my head for a while, turning go-fast stickers into a custom project. My thinking is to use a monochrome silver for every sticker, sized appropriately to fit the collection. Obviously, it will involve me finding someone to custom-cut the vinyl, but it could be a harmless project to occupy my time over the winter.

Did you find the cause of your inner tire wear?
No. All I've done recently is drop $115 on a set of rear damper mounts and bushings. Figure I'll have the shop install them in December, when I'll talk to them further about the inner tire wear. At the moment, I'm not really obsessing about it. Could be loose tie-rod, we'll see. In the meantime, everything feels solid, except for the eek-eek-eek of the one rear mount.

I noticed a similar problem with my car when I switched over to snows this weekend. I could hear the tires getting just a touch louder than usual in the front and suspected some cupping.
I saw that pic. Seems you've got two tire issues to eyeball.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've been thinking the same lately.

I've always modded my cars to varying degrees, but I seem to be losing interest in it. Maybe it's because there isn't another big mod I'm planning for the G, or maybe it's because the community as a whole seems to have slowed down, or maybe I'm having a harder time justifying the cost and time now that I have a family and the days of spending a whole weekend turning wrenchs is over

It's neither good or bad, but I find myself thinking more about what my next car going to be, yet I'm not ready to move on. This car is still exhilarating to drive on an empty back road.
This hit it right on the head. My commute is very short and I also leave early in the morning (6am) so Im not really pushing the car hardly ever. At time I find myself looking for my next mod(s) but then more of the case my reply is "meh". I was just speaking to my brother this past weekend about how much we have invested in our G's and the numbers can make one sick. My daughter is also turning 16 next year so that additional cost of insurance and another vehicle is constantly on the mind.

For what its worth I believe my main reasoning of slowing down is that the G platform has lost so much equity over the last 4-5 years and they are so cheap that theres more shenanigans then prestige on the Infiniti line.

Anyways, enough rambling.....John yes you should be perfectly fine with the vinyl stickers. My brother has his FSTB wrapped for about 6 months now with zero signs of use. But I am very curious as to what stickers you choose and to where you place them knowing how **** you are
Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
But I am very curious as to what stickers you choose and to where you place them knowing how **** you are
Well...
  • EcuTek
  • Eibach
  • R2C
  • Fast Intentions
  • GT-Spec
  • Z1 Motorsports
  • TMW

Last edited by Rochester; 11-07-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Cool. Thanks. I've had this idea in the back of my head for a while, turning go-fast stickers into a custom project. My thinking is to use a monochrome silver for every sticker, sized appropriately to fit the collection. Obviously, it will involve me finding someone to custom-cut the vinyl, but it could be a harmless project to occupy my time over the winter.
I think it would "pop" way more if the stickers were all the natural colors. It may look a little plain if they are all the same color. It would probably be a lot cheaper than getting custom cut stickers too. Just ask any tuning shop and I am sure they have tons of stickers to give away.

I always ran two of each sticker- one on each side of the hood in the same spot. I thought it looked nice, but do whatever you like.

No. All I've done recently is drop $115 on a set of rear damper mounts and bushings. Figure I'll have the shop install them in December, when I'll talk to them further about the inner tire wear. At the moment, I'm not really obsessing about it. Could be loose tie-rod, we'll see. In the meantime, everything feels solid, except for the eek-eek-eek of the one rear mount.
You had some serious tire wear. I would get that alignment dialed in sooner than later if I were you.

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
For what its worth I believe my main reasoning of slowing down is that the G platform has lost so much equity over the last 4-5 years and they are so cheap that theres more shenanigans then prestige on the Infiniti line.
I try to look at it with the mindset that if something goes terribly wrong on track I am not out tons of money like a lot of the cars out there driving very carefully because they cannot afford a mistake. Lets me have a little more fun and push the limit a bit more.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I think it would "pop" way more if the stickers were all the natural colors. It may look a little plain if they are all the same color. It would probably be a lot cheaper than getting custom cut stickers too. Just ask any tuning shop and I am sure they have tons of stickers to give away.

I always ran two of each sticker- one on each side of the hood in the same spot. I thought it looked nice, but do whatever you like.
Or maybe next summer, just this center/front:

You had some serious tire wear. I would get that alignment dialed in sooner than later if I were you.
I did, and the alignment is fine. Just some neg camber, exactly where I want it.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

What if it said ECUTEK accross the horizontal hump in the middle?

Or what if the Fast Intentions logo were sitting in the middle of that triangular area? I kind of like that idea.

And now I'm thinking what the hell is that green sticker on the underside of the hood?

Last edited by Rochester; 11-07-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well...
  • EcuTek
  • Eibach
  • R2C
  • Fast Intentions
  • GT-Spec
  • Z1 Motorsports
  • TMW

Ugh, seriously?

Or maybe next summer, just this center/front:

Hahaha! I hope you have better luck with your tune than me. I am on week 4 and I just got tune 7 flashed to my car after waiting almost a week just to hear back from Jon at Z1 once.

I did, and the alignment is fine. Just some neg camber, exactly where I want it.

You made it sound like you did not address the alignment issue above. What was off on your alignment that destroyed your tires?
Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Ugh, seriously?
Haha, no, probably not. My only Z1 part is the transmission mount. But if I get their front two-piece rotors... IDK. There seems to be a significant difference between Z1 Parts and Z1 Service. Far as I can tell, Z1 Parts are well respected... Service, not so much.

I hope you have better luck with your tune than me. I am on week 4 and I just got tune 7 flashed to my car after waiting almost a week just to hear back from Jon at Z1 once.
Planning on a dyno-tune, so I hope to as well. The street-tune seems like it could be a fun project, but it could also be a frustrating experience like the one you're having.

You made it sound like you did not address the alignment issue above. What was off on your alignment that destroyed your tires?
The only thing that was off was the camber, but not by much, and it's intentional. So I'm just going to throw new Contis on the front next Spring and try to pay closer attention to future wear. Looking at my records, I'm going to be just over 4000 miles driven in 2017, with maybe 1000 of that on snow tires, so I've got that going for me insofar as tire wear being a problem.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-08-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:48 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The only thing that was off was the camber, but not by much, and it's intentional. So I'm just going to throw new Contis on the front next Spring and try to pay closer attention to future wear. Looking at my records, I'm going to be just over 4000 miles driven in 2017, with maybe 1000 of that on snow tires, so I've got that going for me insofar as tire wear being a problem.
So what was the camber at before the alignment and what is it set to now? Was the toe off at all like you were talking about earlier?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

So what was the camber at before the alignment and what is it set to now? Was the toe off at all like you were talking about earlier?
It was last aligned 12,000 miles ago. Since then, rears remained unchanged at -2.2° and -2.3°. Fronts shifted (and improved) a little bit into -1.3° and -1.4° Toe is at zero.

So... IDK.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G