Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Possible failing steering rack? Car wandering, off center

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 11:01 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Possible failing steering rack? Car wandering, off center

Past month or so.... the car pretty much won't drive straight without constant corrections, and additionally now the wheel is slightly off to the left while the car is going forward. What i've done:

- Had the car aligned. After alignment the wheel was straight for like a day or so but the car was still wandering all over the road.
- Took it back and had them recheck front alignment and recenter the wheel. Again the wheel was straight for a day or two but the car still wandered. Again now my wheel is off to the left.

Also, there has been weeping from around the boots for the past few years but the car drove fine and never lost any PS fluid so i left it alone. I also tried rotating the tires to see if that would have any affect, but it doesn't. I'm thinking it has to be the rack at this point? Dosen't make any sense that the wheel would keep loosing alignment and the car will keep wandering around even after being aligned twice. Any other ideas as to what it could be? what to check / diagnose?
Old 08-18-2019, 11:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I recall reading about a steering sensor that should be calibrated when the wheel is on center. That ever done?
Old 08-19-2019, 05:57 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Are your front tires worn unevenly
Old 08-19-2019, 05:25 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I recall reading about a steering sensor that should be calibrated when the wheel is on center. That ever done?
I don't think thats ever done... I will look into that but this seems like a mechanical issue.

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Are your front tires worn unevenly
Nope, totally even. Even rotated with the rear and same result.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:39 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
What sizes are you running in the front? I noticed my car wonders the road a lot more when I went from 225 to 245. It could also be the tires it self as some wonder the road more than others. Or it could be due too the alignment shop not centering the steering wheel before adjusting the toes, happened to me, then took it to another shop whom centered the steering wheel and fixed the issue.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:30 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Reset is only called for if you're majorly out of spec
Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Yeah I did more research on this steering sensor and a calibration is only needed if its majorly off, and there would be lights on the dash for VDC etc.

Originally Posted by Said Amir
What sizes are you running in the front? I noticed my car wonders the road a lot more when I went from 225 to 245. It could also be the tires it self as some wonder the road more than others. Or it could be due too the alignment shop not centering the steering wheel before adjusting the toes, happened to me, then took it to another shop whom centered the steering wheel and fixed the issue.
265 in the front. It's true that larger tires cause wandering however it's been perfect for over a year since I put these on. I had it aligned, the wheel seemed fine for a day and then became off again. Took it back, they fixed it. Fine again for a bit, now it's off again. I went under there and looked and the tie rod jam nuts were not loose so it's not like they didn't tighten it. Plus, it seems to be a good shop and they did a perfect job on my other car.
So I don't really understand what's going on... that's why i'm thinking maybe the rack itself is going bad??
Old 08-21-2019, 09:22 AM
6MT>7AT
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd say it's almost definitely the 265s in the front. I have the same width and on a properly paved road there aren't any issues but on older roads that have defined ruts it takes a good amount of effort to keep it in a straight line. It is surprising that you didn't always have this issue though.