Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Steering wheel is not centered after wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 AM
Tomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel is not centered after wheel alignment

First report

Third report (they didn’t gave me the second one)
Hi, last week I changed the rims and tires from 18” to 19” and I replaced the rotors and pads too.
The car drive just good and today I went to do a wheel alignment just because it required after this kind of change and also the tire shop told me that I need too because he could see that by the wear of the old tires.
I went to shop who got an amazing reviews to have it done and right when I drove away from there I noticed that to drive straight I have to hold the steering wheel on 1 o’clock, it means that if I hold the steering wheel at the center- the wheels actually pointing to the left in maybe 1-3 degrees.
I drove back ti there and they did the alignment once again and tried it and then one more time, eventually they called me inside to look at the computer statiscs and they showed me that on the computer its all centered and that the wheels are straight now (they told me that they wasn’t straight before) and probably something else is wrong and they can’t tell what ut is now since from all what they check everything looks alright (bushing and all that staff that I don’t know much about them) they invite me to come tomorrow and leave the car for a half a day so they will inspect it for me for no charge.
Anyone got any idea what can cause that? It was good before and it made me regret that I did the alignment since it was good before, btw From the short ride I did I feel it not even drive smooth (not sure, maybe just imagining)
anyway im attaching the statistics that they gave me after the first one and after the third one, even the daye is wrong on the papers they gave me.
I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Last edited by Tomer; 11-29-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I don't see any sats in your post

Physically centering the steering wheel is a normal part of the alignment process, they should be able to do it regardless of the rest of the alignment.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
First the steering wheel is placed in the 'center' position, then the adjustments are done to correct anything that needs correcting (front toe, rear toe/camber). Depending how far off, there's also a steering angle sensor that should be reset.

Last edited by JSolo; 11-29-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:49 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Take it back and make them fix it. It's not difficult, merely adusting one wheel toe-in and the other toe-out in equal amounts. They were remiss in not setting the wheel straight before performing the alignment.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Tomer

Just uploaded the reports

thanks for the help guys. I just added to my post the photos of the reports in case someone can tell me if there is something wrong about them
Old 11-30-2018, 04:48 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Your numbers look spiffy for a stock car. More negative camber up front would help tame the AWD understeer a tad bit but that requires adjustable front control arms.

I will say that new wheels and tires do not require an alignment. Doesn't hurt but certainly isn't required.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Tomer

They fixed it

I just been there again today and seems like there was other technician there that adjusted right. On the reports they didn’t even had the right model, its a G37 Coupe base, no X and no S. So its RWD not AWD as they mentioned on the second report.
Anyway its ok now, thank you guys for the help.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
What’s up tomer- I live in vegas too - Best alignment shops in vegas samurai motors with Alex & a arrow & George’s alignmet