Help Steering wheel not aligning with front wheels..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 AM
BLKICE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel not aligning with front wheels..

I am dropped on H&R's. I waited a couple weeks for the springs to get settled then took it in for an alignment (Lifetime at Firestone).

Everything came out good after alignment (cant remember specs) but after a couple weeks the steering wheel starts going to the left as if you were turning although the wheels are straight.

I took it back and got it fixed, but it is starting to do it again.
What could be the problem? Do the people at Firestone not know what they are doing? or do you guys think i am in need of a front camber kit? (I already have a rear one) Also after about 5 miles or so the "VDC off" and "slip" light will turn on. could these be related?

Suggestions please!

Wheels are straight in this pic, yet steering wheel looks like this.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Judging from the pic, I think you're looking at steering balance rather than alignment if I'm not mistaken
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your issue is steering wheel centering. Even though the alignment is straight the wheel is off center. This also drives me crazy. I had the same issue after my last alignment and brought it back to the dealer to adjust, which is done during alignment but separately from the wheel alignment.

However there are many reasons why your wheel will be off center even though it's set perfectly straight. Road crown will make it seem like you have this problem but in fact the slight slope of the road towards one side will force you to hold the wheel slightly off center to compensate. The only way to verify if the wheel is really off center is to find a flat road or parking lot and see if the wheel is off center. I know there are certain stretches of highway I drive every day where the wheel seems like it's way off center but then on other roads it's perfectly straight.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM
BLKICE

Thanks for the answers guys..
So Sky, has your issue been resolved after you took it back? My steering wheel does it wherever so im hoping if i take it back they will actually be able to fix it. do you guy's think it will continue to be an issue? its very annoying!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM
HamstersG

First, regarding the "SLIP" and "VDC" light coming on.....yes it is related. I learned the hard way. Basically, it sounds to me that you may have a problem with the Steering Angle Sensor. Could be the sensor going bad or it could just be that it is not set correctly due to the alignments. If everything not set correctly, the system determines that there is a problem with VDC system and will turn it off which is indicated by both the SLIP and VDC lights coming on until you shut off the car. See this thread especially post #33. There is also discussion on this in the Owners Manual and the Factory Service Manual (FSM).

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...warning-3.html

Second, did they tell you how they fixed the problem at Firestone? Did you ever get both lights after spring install, but before alignment? Any other suspension changes?

Knowing these things would help in pointing you in the right direction. Problem is that it could be one of many things so the more details you can provide, the more someone on the forum may be able to help. Could be as simple as during the procedure to adjust the Steering Angle Sensor, but the dealer may have to do it....this is covered in only the FSM.

Originally Posted by BLKICE
I am dropped on H&R's. I waited a couple weeks for the springs to get settled then took it in for an alignment (Lifetime at Firestone).

Everything came out good after alignment (cant remember specs) but after a couple weeks the steering wheel starts going to the left as if you were turning although the wheels are straight.

I took it back and got it fixed, but it is starting to do it again.
What could be the problem? Do the people at Firestone not know what they are doing? or do you guys think i am in need of a front camber kit? (I already have a rear one) Also after about 5 miles or so the "VDC off" and "slip" light will turn on. could these be related?

Suggestions please!

Wheels are straight in this pic, yet steering wheel looks like this.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 PM
BLKICE

I'll be sure to check the other thread out thanks.
The lights did not come on after the first alignment, but after the second alignment is when they started showing up. So maybe during the second alignment they forgot a step or something..they told me they fixed the steering wheel being crooked by just realigning it..should i just try a different firestone?

I hope its from the steering angle not being centered correctly because i would hate for it to be something more serious. the only other suspension mods i have are a rear camber kit and i am on the stock 19's with nitto invo's stock size.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Thanks for the answers guys..
So Sky, has your issue been resolved after you took it back? My steering wheel does it wherever so im hoping if i take it back they will actually be able to fix it. do you guy's think it will continue to be an issue? its very annoying!
Yes, since they recentered it the wheel has been straight with the exception as I had noted that on some roads it will be off center due to the road crown.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 PM
HamstersG

Recentering / adjusting the Steering Angle Sensor is an electronic adjustment. So if you ask Firestone if they adjusted the "Steering Angle Sensor" and they stare at you with a dumb look on their face, then might have to go to the dealer.

I'll be sure to check the other thread out thanks.
The lights did not come on after the first alignment, but after the second alignment is when they started showing up. So maybe during the second alignment they forgot a step or something..they told me they fixed the steering wheel being crooked by just realigning it..should i just try a different firestone?

I hope its from the steering angle not being centered correctly because i would hate for it to be something more serious. the only other suspension mods i have are a rear camber kit and i am on the stock 19's with nitto invo's stock size.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:41 PM
BLKICE

Ok cool. well i at least have an idea of what I'm dealing with now. thanks for all the advice guys! I'll keep updating.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
HamstersG

Figure it out?

Ok cool. well i at least have an idea of what I'm dealing with now. thanks for all the advice guys! I'll keep updating.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HamstersG
Figure it out?
+1 on that! is it fixed? i'm also having the same problem and it's also driving me nuts. i've done multiple alignments and the steering is still off.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
BLKICE

Still working on it actually. Work has been hectic and havent gotten to it at all!