Cusco Strut Tower Brace Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Any idea why the 370z service manual says to install the strut brace with all wheels in the air?

The 350z service manual also says to preload the strut brace so that it pushes the strut towers out.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I've talked to all my buddies are a ASE certified techs and they all said you should have the car level on the ground because if you raise the car and unbolt the strut bars the struts would fall out and make the installs much harder than it should be.

So I guess its ok to install them on the ground.

Source. Jason Pyo ASE TECH at autoscope. http://www.autoscope.net

Goes by JDM Sam on the forums here. Sam. www.crossoverauto.com

So they all said to install on the ground level.

Last edited by DashKid; 06-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Whoa! .
Old 06-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Modme
Registered Member

I dont think you guys should get caught up on the strut falling out. You can install the bracket on first with the car on the ground and then do the final tightening with the car in the car.

The easier way to install something isnt necessarily the right way.

My research on the 350z forum and service manuals seem to suggest that the strut tower should be spread apart by the strut brace during the install.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow! So FWIW I have the GT Spec and I did not instal it with the wheels off the ground because I am stupid. Have not come across any issues and side note is that mine does not rub either. I have a CF engine cover that sits a little lower than stock so I was able to lower the strut bar to it's lowest point and it does not rub the hood or engine cover. Derp derp!

Last edited by Kidcane; 06-07-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Arcee@OCInfiniti
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gevo1
I just saw this thread.. I had forgotten I wanted one lol. The one I am interested in is called by a company called circuit sports I think. Im no engineer, but that design looks better to me since the ends are solid and dont bent. To me the gtspec and everything else I've seen looks like it will allow the chasi to flex.... Im not sure how to explain it but I have it in my head lol
The bar ends will not flex, at least not under any sort of driving you will be doing on or off track.

We do not carry circuit sports, only GT Spec and Cusco.

I think everyone is really over thinking / analyzing the whole concept of FLEXING. ANY aftermarket strut bar will be an improvement, and between the two that we carry (GT Spec and Cusco) Flex has never once been an issue, and half of our clients religiously track their cars (both sedan and coupes alike).
Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Arcee@OCInfiniti
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Modme
Any idea why the 370z service manual says to install the strut brace with all wheels in the air?

The 350z service manual also says to preload the strut brace so that it pushes the strut towers out.
the key difference I would think between any aftermarket bar like these VS the OEM Nissan 350Z one is that the OEM Z one is not truly an adjustable bar in the same sense as the GT SPEC etc... The z's bar is part of the ends, this makes a lot of sense on that sort of design. After all what use is pre-loading the bar ends, IF the middle bar itself is loose at where they attach to the plates?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I dont think you guys should get caught up on the strut falling out. You can install the bracket on first with the car on the ground and then do the final tightening with the car in the car.

The easier way to install something isnt necessarily the right way.
Exactly..

There's plenty of ways to avoid the strut from falling out while on a lift.

1. have someone else hold it in place while you tighten the bolts on top the STB.
2. loosely tighten the STB bolts while tires on the ground and then make final adjustments while tires are off the ground.

I would still like to know the proper answer to this question because my new car comes equipped with a FSB from factory and I'm sure at some point or another I will need to remove it while working on my car and would like to make sure I reinstall it correctly.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
please apply sense to your installation by installing the new mounts on the ground then raising the car to install the strut. this will prevent it from falling through... i said it earlier but got overlooked
Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The strut bar must be installed via lift due to a number of reasons. Lower center of gravity and higher function points make it vital to install the strut bar at a perpendicular angle to what the manual says to. In addition the angle of the bracing must coincide with the car's point of direction so that the car's trajectory won't malfunction in a way that will hinder performance, thus resulting in poor lap times.

dafuqdidijustwrite
Old 06-07-2012, 06:27 PM
TimG37x
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gamedog
The strut bar must be installed via lift due to a number of reasons. Lower center of gravity and higher function points make it vital to install the strut bar at a perpendicular angle to what the manual says to. In addition the angle of the bracing must coincide with the car's point of direction so that the car's trajectory won't malfunction in a way that will hinder performance, thus resulting in poor lap times.

dafuqdidijustwrite
This .
Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamedog

dafuqdidijustwrite
Well, pretty sure that clears up everything. /thread
Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Modme
Registered Member

So that means most shops and aftermarket manufactures, including cusco, who suggest installing the brace with tires on the ground, have no idea what they're saying.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
So that means most shops and aftermarket manufactures, including cusco, who suggest installing the brace with tires on the ground, have no idea what they're saying.

it's not like this kind of thing hasn't happened before, right?

i mean, half the companies out there that make stuff have no idea how it apply it to real world situations.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mattster
it's not like this kind of thing hasn't happened before, right?

i mean, half the companies out there that make stuff have no idea how it apply it to real world situations.
Yeah, can't say i'm surprised about this. Most of these companies are milking people's money by giving false claims or banking on placebo effects.

How good could the design be if the company did not understand it's purpose?

I had my doubts on these strut bars. For example, if the bar is supposed to transfer a great amount of force, you expect it to be mounted with larger bolts. The Gtspec and Cusco both utilize the strut nuts, which are 8mm torqued to 30 newtons.

The 370z strut bar uses 10 mm bolts torqued to 52 newtons.

Quick Reply: Cusco Strut Tower Brace Installed