Body Interior Exterior Lighting

2010 Coupe has two 3rd brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Coupe has two 3rd brake lights

I've noticed that some of the 2010 coupes (most of them, actually) that were factory ordered with the rear spoiler are now also coming in with the 3rd brake light on the rear deck. WTF, Infiniti?

Having a 3rd brake light on the rear deck makes it seems as if the spoiler was added on at the port or at the dealership, instead of being installed while the car was being manufactured at the factory.

And yes, I realize that the brake light on the rear deck is deactivated, but it still looks crappy. For some reason, this really bothers me....
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That is pretty lame. I like my rear deck w/o the brake light. Easier to clean.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIA for tint as well
Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That's because the spoiler was likely added at the dealer and not at the time of assembly.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Blackjack
That's because the spoiler was likely added at the dealer and not at the time of assembly.
No, like I said, the deck light is present even on cars that have a factory-installed spoiler. I could understand it for cars that weren't originally equipped with a rear spoiler (dealer add-on), but a factory ordered spoiler should not have the rear deck light.

I just think it sucks. My car came in today and it has the rear deck light. I'm not taking it....
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by SleepyMonkey
PIA for tint as well

Yeah, they would have to tint around the light unless the tint guys are willing to remove the rear deck entirely to tint the whole window.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Eastern-G

Mine also came with the factory spoiler and extra brake light. I wasn't too happy, but fortunately the tint guys were willing to remove the rear deck to tint over it. Heard some people remove it themselves and cover it with some fabric?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
No, like I said, the deck light is present even on cars that have a factory-installed spoiler. I could understand it for cars that weren't originally equipped with a rear spoiler (dealer add-on), but a factory ordered spoiler should not have the rear deck light.

I just think it sucks. My car came in today and it has the rear deck light. I'm not taking it....
So you're not taking a car you ordered and waited on because of that? Really?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Yeah, they would have to tint around the light unless the tint guys are willing to remove the rear deck entirely to tint the whole window.
I agree - but IMO tinting around the light is not acceptable.. The alternative might cost you a premium, but probably not too much. This makes me wonder if they're trying to get rid of "regular" rear deck inventory because the design is changing soon (speculation at its best). Either that or your dealer screwed up and didn't order as you specified and tried to make up for it "in house".
Old 06-08-2010, 11:04 PM
BHB 91

I have an 09 with the spoiler from the factory and there is only a brake light in the spoiler. I have seen websites where you can buy the original shelf without the brake light in it if you wanted to convert it over. You could also just disconnect the light so it wouldn't look odd with 2 brake lights coming on at once. I had a 2003 Acura CL-S and I added the spoiler at the time of purchase that had the brake light in it. The dealer just simply unplugged the light in the back window. If you tint and go in front of the old light, no one will ever know it is there but you.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Betty
So you're not taking a car you ordered and waited on because of that? Really?
I'm with MSCA on this one...as much as it sucks to have to wait, shouldn't you get exactly what you ordered? Especially at this price tag?

The dealership should give you exactly what you paid (or will pay) to get. Don't accept anything less than what you want.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
freesurfer
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
I'm with MSCA on this one...as much as it sucks to have to wait, shouldn't you get exactly what you ordered? Especially at this price tag?
+1 agreed.

Just make it a condition of the sale that the dealer replace the rear deck with the version that comes without the 3rd brake light. Simple. My dealer does that all the time when adding the spoiler option.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You think like I do freesurfer. I wouldn't wait another 2 months (or however long the wait was) for something so very easy to correct. Just explain it to the dealership and ask them to swap out the rear deck with one that doesn't have the brake light in the window.

Or wait 2 more months and hope it doesn't happen again. I ordered a factory spoiler because they were scarce as hen's teeth when I ordered. It gets to the port in LA and it doesn't have a spoiler even though the order was placed correctly. A dealer swap was arranged and everyone was happy.

If you ask them nicely, they'll probably fix it.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by freesurfer
+1 agreed.

Just make it a condition of the sale that the dealer replace the rear deck with the version that comes without the 3rd brake light. Simple. My dealer does that all the time when adding the spoiler option.
ahh good thinking! I didn't even consider that option...so yeah don't wait for another whole car, but I still wouldn't just drive away with something I wasn't happy with
Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I took my rear deck out when I took it to tint. They didn't cut out a hole but they did say if you were go with a dark tint and didn't have a spoiler brake light they were legally supposed to make a rear deck brake light cut-out ion the tint. Doesn't make sense since they aren't supposed to put a dark tint on in the first place.

There is DYI's on taking the rear deck out.

Quick Reply: 2010 Coupe has two 3rd brake lights