Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

iPhone connectivity issues

Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Were you able to just flash the applications disk (disk 0) without having to flash the map data?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:30 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Were you able to just flash the applications disk (disk 0) without having to flash the map data?
Yes, disk 0 (program boot/data) is a stand-alone disk, and can be installed without installing new maps. That's also the disk that doesn't ask for activation code - disk 1 (first maps disk) does that.

So, theoretically, you could try to install it from a copy of someone's disk 0, but honestly, the risk exists that you'll brick your navi if you use a copy, there's no telling what copy protections exists on that disk. Buyer beware.

Now, the results:

Usually slower drive to work too me 22 minutes today, and bluetooth didn't disconnect once. It used to do it at 10 minute or 20 minute mark. My drive back will likely be much longer, so I'll test it again. I also noticed that the phone connected to the car (or, rather, the car to the phone) much faster this time. Track information (I was listening to a long podcast) was blank - but the playback timer was running (when viewed in bluetooth audio screen - but not on the status line when viewing the map).

Again, I'll update tonight after I've driven back home. I can certainly live without track information (who cares, right?), as long as the thing doesn't disconnect me every 10 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
Cwickenstein (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
that's encouraging! waiting for my dvd to come too.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:07 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by codeflux
Yes, disk 0 (program boot/data) is a stand-alone disk, and can be installed without installing new maps. That's also the disk that doesn't ask for activation code - disk 1 (first maps disk) does that.

So, theoretically, you could try to install it from a copy of someone's disk 0, but honestly, the risk exists that you'll brick your navi if you use a copy, there's no telling what copy protections exists on that disk. Buyer beware.

Now, the results:

Usually slower drive to work too me 22 minutes today, and bluetooth didn't disconnect once. It used to do it at 10 minute or 20 minute mark. My drive back will likely be much longer, so I'll test it again. I also noticed that the phone connected to the car (or, rather, the car to the phone) much faster this time. Track information (I was listening to a long podcast) was blank - but the playback timer was running (when viewed in bluetooth audio screen - but not on the status line when viewing the map).

Again, I'll update tonight after I've driven back home. I can certainly live without track information (who cares, right?), as long as the thing doesn't disconnect me every 10 minutes.
so my question is does it connect automatically when receiving a call? that seems to be my biggest issue is when i click "answer" i cant hear the person unless i click "phone" then "car" when on the audio settings.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:08 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

also wonder if it takes care of the clicking/popping noises i hear
Old 01-22-2018, 05:12 PM
Cwickenstein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacket18
If you'd be willing to share, that'd be awesome!
I Second that!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:21 PM
Cwickenstein

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by codeflux

Now, the results:

Thank you so much CODEFLUX for your trial run for all of us! If this works, I'm driving to SF this weekend and will split the cost of the DVD with you and install!!!!

Standing by for your drive home assessment...
Old 01-22-2018, 05:41 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Are the dvd's they send 'burned' or pressed? If it looks like a store bought dvd movie then that's a standard image burned to thousands of disks. If burned, then the data could definitely be unique to the vehicle/vin.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:13 PM
Cwickenstein

If burned, then the data could definitely be unique to the vehicle/vin.
I think I follow you here. I believe Infiniti asks for the unique head unit ID prior to ordering, so they may very well be vehicle specific in order to keep folks like us from trading out and installing without paying them. Greed-based Capitalism really screws the end user, even when a malfunction warrants a fix...
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

About to perform the upgrade on my car as well. Will keep you posted.

If you guys are talking about splitting the cost of DVD's, count me in. I also purchased the map set to try this out I did alot of the research to figure out the map update pack would fix this issue.

I'm happy to share the disc 0 dvd.

Last edited by sev1980; 01-22-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Cwickenstein
I think I follow you here. I believe Infiniti asks for the unique head unit ID prior to ordering, so they may very well be vehicle specific in order to keep folks like us from trading out and installing without paying them. Greed-based Capitalism really screws the end user, even when a malfunction warrants a fix...
I mentioned this before. the discs are not unique to your car. The nav processes the unlock code and allows the upgrade the proceed.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Cwickenstein

Originally Posted by sev1980

If you guys are talking about splitting the cost of DVD's, count me in.

I'm happy to share the disc 0 dvd.
Right on! Where are you located?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:09 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

I’m in Los Angeles.

Man I just went to do the upgrade and totally forgot to turn off Bluetooth before starting the update. Biting my nails it doesn’t screw anything up.
Cwickenstein (01-24-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Can either of you post a good picture of the non label side of disk 0?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:17 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

Can either of you post a good picture of the non label side of disk 0?
It’s just a run of the mill stamped dvd

Search this Thread