Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

iPhone connectivity issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sev1980
no doubt it's possible. You may be right.

Before I do the full update, I'll do the nav firmware update and see how the unit works. I'll let you know!
So I did the firmware update but kept my 2010 maps. Put in a destination and went for a drive. Seemed that the nav worked fine with newest software and old maps...

So I just about had a heart attack upgrading the firmware. In my haste, I forgot to turn off the bluetooth as instructed and flipped out thinking it woudnt let me run the upgrade again. I had read if you dont disable the bluetooth before update, it causes a bootloop. This wasnt the case. The update completed the first attempted. It rebooted and I went through and turned off the bluetooth and ran the upgrade again. No issues...

Now for the verdict: Inconclusive. . Need more time driving around to see...

I did confirm it updated a few things on my unit, by comparing version numbers in the secret menu before and after the update. I previously had bluetooth firmware E0420. After the DVD update, it went to E0450.

I had my wife call me a few times, but it was doing the same business where I coudl hear her but she couldnt hear me.... But she was trying off speaker phone. I then had a few more people call me, and those calls all worked well answering them from the car.

I didnt hear the clicks and pops I used to hear when using Bluetooth for phone calls, but again. I need to spend more time driving it around.

This is probably way overkill for the purposes of this thread, but if anyone is curious, on my September 2009 build 2010 EX35, here are the modules that actually got updates:

flash ware Before: X1U60008
Flash ware After: X1UC001

Flash application Before: X1U62025
Flash Application After: X1UC2007 <--- Seems to be the latest I've found, newer than the TSB update

Bluetooth Firmware Before: E0420
Bluetooth Firmware After: E0450

Audio Unit Software Before: 200180
Audio Unit Software After: 200183

Nothing changed on the following modules:
XM Radio Software, Front Display Software, Audio Unit Parameter Version, AVM Soft, AVM Sonar Soft, Sonar Soft

BTW, I have a 2010 EX35, not a G37.

The map updates are still running, damn they take long.... While the map updates are running, I took the liberty to update the firmware on my wife's JX35 too. It's a 2013. I did notice less modules got updated. Bluetooth was E0450 before/after on that car. So looks like E0450 is the "newest" firmware, but was new as of 2012 (build date of car).

I'm kind of curious from those of you that have the bluetooth issues, if you are also on E0420??

You can find it in the secret menu. To get to it, turn off your stereo, old the setting button and turn the volume control. It will go into the secret menu. BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT MENU YOU GO INTO!!! If you pick the wrong thing, it can majorly screw up your nav unit requiring a trip to the dealer. DO _NOT_ select "Initialize setting" it will reset the nav unit and require a consult 3 to reprogram....You've been warned!!

If you go into the diagnosis menu and scroll down to versions, and scroll through it, you can find the bluetooth firmware version

Last edited by sev1980; 01-22-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 AM
jacket18

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for update! Glad you were finally able to get your discs and everything worked. Really appreciate the detailed description. Looks like my SW versions are the same as yours pre-update (Flash Application is actually one version older).

A little disappointed to hear that Bluetooth performance isn't all that much different, but it still sounds like it's worth a shot.

Still willing to share disc 0?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:16 AM
sev1980
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jacket18
Thanks for update! Glad you were finally able to get your discs and everything worked. Really appreciate the detailed description. Looks like my SW versions are the same as yours pre-update (Flash Application is actually one version older).

A little disappointed to hear that Bluetooth performance isn't all that much different, but it still sounds like it's worth a shot.

Still willing to share disc 0?
what version was your bluetooth firmware??
Old 01-23-2018, 12:22 AM
jacket18

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what version was your bluetooth firmware??
Same as yours pre-update (E0420). For reference, here is my entire version info page:
Attached Thumbnails iPhone connectivity issues-img_4270.jpg   iPhone connectivity issues-img_4271.jpg   iPhone connectivity issues-img_4272.jpg   iPhone connectivity issues-img_4273.jpg  
Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 AM
sev1980
Registered Member

Yeah, looks like that's the guy at fault. E0420..
Old 01-23-2018, 01:04 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Took 37 minutes to drive to work this morning, usual San Francisco 9am traffic.

ZERO disconnects.

No clicks or pops, the phone stayed either in cupholder or in my jacket pocket.

The track information and timer is still messed up - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I haven't talked on the phone with anyone, so I can't tell you whether that works.

But the most important part is that there are no disconnects playing music over bluetooth - something that hasn't happened since I went from iOS 10 to iOS 11. I'm on iOS 11.2.5 beta 7 now (likely the gold master, since it's lacking the Apple Feedback app).

I kind'a miss the track info on the screen, but not enough to switch back to using the USB cable. I like being able to pick up my phone from the cradle to look at the map closer, or to find something on Spotify, without losing playback.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:45 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

NOPE!

On the drive home today bluetooth disconnected after ~20 minutes.

Disconnected
Connecting...
Not Registered
Connecting...

and then it was hung. I switched back to using USB cable.

Bottom line: I call it an improvement, but not a 100% fix. Use bluetooth as backup, if you must, but I recommend USB cable playback, if that's an option in your car.

Also: Infiniti, go fsck yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Cwickenstein (01-25-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 AM
sev1980
Registered Member

$#@$(@&(&%(#@&$()&$@#()&$()@#&$#@(&$(@)#&$@#($&@#$ &@
Old 01-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Cwickenstein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m in Los Angeles.
Oh, sweet! I'm in South OC. Let me know if it works out, and we can arrange a time to meet and I'l totally split the cost with you if it works!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:59 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Here's the firmware versions following the software update only. Car is MY 2012 G37S sedan, build date was 11/2011. Pics with the 14xx time stamps are before, 15xx after. Entire process took about 10 minutes. Updated with the car in accessory mode while connected to a battery tender.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B0JaRlWhXbeYuF3w2

Thanks @codeflux for the help!!!

My issue was not BT connectivity (I can't seem to manage driving and talking at same time). Rather, entire nav would bootloop when navigating to a distant (few hundred miles away) destination and playing mp3 (usb flash drive). Workaround was to pull over, shut car off, restart, then cancel nav or mp3 playback.

I did briefly test bt connectivity by leaving myself a voice message on my pbx. Quality was acceptable at best. Not sure if it's a function of the BT in the car, BT in the phone (android 7.1.2 lineageos, axon 7), or a combination of the two. For my BT uses, it's acceptable enough.

I don't have any road trips coming up so I put in a destination 500 miles away. Will test in the next few days how well it handles recalculating while playing mp3s.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:14 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

any updates? I havent driven my car since the update. Been a crazy week of work, and i work from home...
Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I've only had a few local trips around town here with the navigation destination set to one ~500 miles away while playing usb flash drive based mp3s. It's constantly recalculating but hasn't locked/rebooted on me.

One piece of annoyance, when a turn is coming up, it does a split screen view, left half shows the turn, right half shows the main map. I looked through the options but didn't find the setting to disable that. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I've only had a few local trips around town here with the navigation destination set to one ~500 miles away while playing usb flash drive based mp3s. It's constantly recalculating but hasn't locked/rebooted on me.
that's a relief! that would drive me completely insane.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
One piece of annoyance, when a turn is coming up, it does a split screen view, left half shows the turn, right half shows the main map. I looked through the options but didn't find the setting to disable that. Any thoughts?
The map in navigation mode is in auto-split mode - you can change that: click Map View icon, Map View, Map Settings - you can display something else on the left (fuel info, track info IIRC) - but you can't disable that completely IIRC.

Or you could hit Map hardware button to toggle back to full map mode if that's what you need - but it'll change back to split view on next turn. No way around that. My wife's lexus lets you turn it off, but not our cars.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^I played with a few of the different settings, but it seemed to still revert back to the split view for upcoming turns. Funny I still rely on my garmin for any real navigation for long trips. The garmin sets zoom levels depending on vehicle speed. The car nav is usually fixed in a more overview like level.

I've had this newer garmin for at least a year now. Just found out it can be linked to the smartphone for semi realtime traffic info. Doesn't cover as many surface streets as google maps, but is still better than xm traffic. Albeit, the last time I used xm traffic was in 2012 during the free promo, so things may have changed. Main benefit of the garmin for me is its ability to import custom route files (designed on the pc) then guide you along.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:31 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

A bit off topic, but don't forget Redlight and Speed cameras - you can upload locations to your Garmin.