Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Center Console Modification for Pioneer AVIC

Old 08-19-2014, 04:29 PM
EvanScott11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Console Modification for Pioneer AVIC

**NEWBIE**

I just bought a 2013 G37 IPL coupe. Has anyone ever put a Pioneer AVIC head unit into a G37 as a secondary unit. I had a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe where I removed the CD player and install an AVIC unit as a secondary GPS unit + iPod player. Wired the AVIC unit into the AUX jack of my cars factory stereo.

I'd like to:
Remove the radio controls and CD player
Remove the airbag indicator
Move the climate controls down 2 inches
Place Pioneer AVIC head unit into this space, and use it to simply run the audio of the car, maybe interface with the bose speakers in the car already.

Does anyone know how much room is behind this area? I am told by Infiniti there is some duct work, but I need at least 6" deep for the Pioneer unit.

Any help, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Center Console Modification for Pioneer AVIC-photo-1.jpg   Center Console Modification for Pioneer AVIC-photo-2.jpg  
Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Please don't hack up your relatively new IPL to put in a cheap radio.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Avics aren't cheap or low quality.

You're going to have to pull everything out and messure.

I love "hacking up" the cheap factory units.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 PM
charliekwin

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The CANBUS seems to freak out if certain harnesses on the head unit isn't connected properly (airbag warning lights, weird stuff with the push-button start, that kind of thing), so you'd probably need to relocate the entire unit to someplace like the glovebox. Not impossible, but you're in for some tedious wiring work.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I am by no means a expert nor a audiophile. I'm perfectly content with the crappy Bose system. That being said I agree anything can be done with a lot of time, patience, and resources. However, a lot of the cars functions are interconnected and wired through the A/V Controller. BCM, CANBUS, ECM, NATS, PCS, SRS, and a ton of other acronyms are all tied together. I'm really not sure if the car will even run with the A/V unit removed entirely. Just do your research and make sure the car will function correctly.

And as far as space behind the A/V Controller: I just had mine out last week to work on a unmentionable project and there is about 2"- IF THAT between the controller and the HVAC ductwork. If you need at least 6"- you will have to modify the ductwork as well.

Good luck with your project. Please keep us posted!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
Avics aren't cheap or low quality.

You're going to have to pull everything out and messure.

I love "hacking up" the cheap factory units.
I had an avic x930bt in my previous car. It's not a bad radio for a car that doesn't have a screen, iPod functionality, navi, bluetooth calling, etc. With that being said, the factory Bose w/Navi meets all of this criteria with OEM fit and finish, a warranty, and quality output. I'm not sure what places this OEM radio in the "cheap factory unit" category.

It doesn't really make sense to hack up the center console to put in this head unit - what features would be gained? If sound output is the goal, add a quality multi channel amp and new speakers in the the OEM locations. This will be significantly easier, cheaper, and better looking/sounding.

Not sure what I'm missing here...
Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 AM
blazeplacid

The headunit is the weakest link in the factory audio set up.

Its made for an average listener.

I love to mod the audio and rip out everything.

The Bose set up to me is just to bassy and I love bass.
Also, when you turn up the factory head unit, it turns up and down frequencies to protect the speakers and head unit. I don't like that. I like to have control of everything.

Newer Avics have screen mirroring which allow you to connect your phone and use navigation from your phone and see it on the screen. Google maps > Infiniti's maps.

A somewhat decent EQ, crossovers, and more tuning options.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 AM
EvanScott11

This is what I did in my old Honda. I like the look, and having multiple screens for media, GPS vantage points, GPS maps, other video I/O I may want to add, etc. I think the center section is a little lacking on this car.
Attached Thumbnails Center Console Modification for Pioneer AVIC-image.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Trust me, I'm all for modding a car to suit individual tastes and personalities. I'm sure others have done this or something similar. I just know from experience that one small mishap will render the car useless because if the system interconnectivity.

As I mentioned before, if you go through with the project, plz keep us updated. I'd be interested to see how it evolves.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM
EvanScott11

The G37 has a CD player in it so there has to be a space at least 5" deep for the CD to slide into, no? That's not to say you have all that space back there, but you're saying you had that area open and you only had 2". If that's the case, I'm not even going to attempt this.

.EvanScott
Old 08-21-2014, 06:37 PM
blazeplacid

Ther is room for a double din. You would need to make some kind of mounting bracket. The problem is that the ac control is part of the radio control also.

You could find a way to remount the ac countrol but I'm not sure if the radio shares the boards with the ac. I want to say they are on separate boards but I can't remember.

Luckily the radio comes out pretty easy. Should take 5-10 minutes to remove everything for measurements.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

From the back of the radio, or AV Controller as it's called, there is less than 2", more like 1" or less really, to the HVAC ductwork. It was a tight squeeze putting the wire harnesses in the right place just to get the controller back into place.

The A/C controls are connected to the controller by three separate wire harnesses if I recall correctly. There is also a ribbon-type cable but I do to remember if it connects the A/C or the NAV switch assembly to the controller.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:51 AM
blazeplacid

I think he is wanting to remove/relocate the factory radio and all of its parts.

Once you remove the radio and all of its controllers, you have a large opening.
Some of these wires and components will need to be reused. AC controls, radio volume, etc.

It can be done but it's not the easiest.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
The headunit is the weakest link in the factory audio set up.

Its made for an average listener.

I love to mod the audio and rip out everything.

The Bose set up to me is just to bassy and I love bass.
Also, when you turn up the factory head unit, it turns up and down frequencies to protect the speakers and head unit. I don't like that. I like to have control of everything.

Newer Avics have screen mirroring which allow you to connect your phone and use navigation from your phone and see it on the screen. Google maps > Infiniti's maps.

A somewhat decent EQ, crossovers, and more tuning options.

Completely disagree with your first statement; we've been through this before on previous posts. Looking at the spectral output of the headunit shows that for a factory piece, its by far not the weak link in the Bose setup. Its the amps and the drivers.