Sponsored By:

My warranty ends tomorrow :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
My warranty ends tomorrow :(

Well my 2011's warranty ends tomorrow guys.. I thought about getting an extended warranty but I decided to hold off.

If you're car is about to run out bring it in and get work done! Here's what I've had done in the past 3 months or so...

Driver/Passenger Door Weather Stripping
Passenger Sail Speaker
Full Set of Brushed Aluminum Interior Trim
Driver Side Door Panel
Driver Seat Bottom
Transmission Flush
Transmission Software Update
Trunk Center Trim Panel
Driver Door Check Strap
Passenger Side Door Lock Actuator

I bought the car used and I'd say it's freshened up now
Old 09-30-2015, 01:33 PM
timc00k

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Doesn't it cost more $$ to get things fixed from the dealership?

I still have warranty but how did you get them to fix these issues?

Full Set of Brushed Aluminum Interior Trim
Driver Side Door Panel
Old 09-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Transmission flush under warranty?? Isn't that a maintenance thing
Old 09-30-2015, 03:32 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
my guess is the OP misspoke and has a mixture of warranty repair items along with 'upgrades' or other services that he has had done in the past 3 months. so the car is now 'freshened up' as he says. just a guess.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
If those were all "warranty" repairs, you got very lucky as I don't see any logical reason they would replace some of those part besides wear and tear, which is not covered under warranty. Especially on a car that was bought used...
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

No, these were all warranty repairs You have to know what you're talking about and push them slightly but in the politest of ways. In both dealerships I went to, I was a new customer so they probably wanted my business as well.

The trim, I told them one is scratched and peeling/chipping and that I heard others getting these defective parts replaced under warranty to replace with an updated part. Then when they agreed to replace the one panel, I requested that all trim panels be replaced so that they match correctly.

The door panel would have been $1200 if I bought it, uninstalled. I was in the garage with the tech checking out the underbody and going over the new seat installation he did for me and he asked if I noticed the huge tear in my door panel. I told him the previous owner did that and he just asked me if I wanted another! So he just wrote it up as rattling. I came back and gave him a craftsman wrench bottle opener for that one :P

The trans flush was in the process of checking the transmission for hard shifting issues (aka the software update). They checked levels and fluid level was incorrect so they replaced the fluid. But they also updated the software to both of the newest versions because I specifically requested that.

I also had an airbag module replaced under warranty but that was before I bought the car and was because there was an air bag light on. OH I also had three rattles replaced, the tech found two other rattles and fixed those in addition to the one I came in about. I also got a new cowl out of that one.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by SpeedBallDEVIL
No, these were all warranty repairs You have to know what you're talking about and push them slightly but in the politest of ways. In both dealerships I went to, I was a new customer so they probably wanted my business as well.

The trim, I told them one is scratched and peeling/chipping and that I heard others getting these defective parts replaced under warranty to replace with an updated part. Then when they agreed to replace the one panel, I requested that all trim panels be replaced so that they match correctly.

The door panel would have been $1200 if I bought it, uninstalled. I was in the garage with the tech checking out the underbody and going over the new seat installation he did for me and he asked if I noticed the huge tear in my door panel. I told him the previous owner did that and he just asked me if I wanted another! So he just wrote it up as rattling. I came back and gave him a craftsman wrench bottle opener for that one :P

The trans flush was in the process of checking the transmission for hard shifting issues (aka the software update). They checked levels and fluid level was incorrect so they replaced the fluid. But they also updated the software to both of the newest versions because I specifically requested that.

I also had an airbag module replaced under warranty but that was before I bought the car and was because there was an air bag light on. OH I also had three rattles replaced, the tech found two other rattles and fixed those in addition to the one I came in about. I also got a new cowl out of that one.

I assumed there was some warranty fraud in there somewhere, lol. Some dealerships play by the rules, others try and stretch the rules to make a few extra bucks. You were definitely lucky, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:41 AM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure dealerships don't make profit on warranty repairs. Corporate will pay the dealership for the tech's time, but they aren't going to pay back the customer labor rate. So really the dealership would prefer not to do warranty work lol.

The tech that I worked with was able to feel me out and knew I was a car guy and pretty meticulous about my car so he hooked me up, he had a 350z he was showing me. Now that my warranty is up, I'm hoping he does work on the side :P

Should have tried to get my maps updated though :P still kicking myself in the butt for not asking lol
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by SpeedBallDEVIL
I'm pretty sure dealerships don't make profit on warranty repairs. Corporate will pay the dealership for the tech's time, but they aren't going to pay back the customer labor rate. So really the dealership would prefer not to do warranty work lol.

The tech that I worked with was able to feel me out and knew I was a car guy and pretty meticulous about my car so he hooked me up, he had a 350z he was showing me. Now that my warranty is up, I'm hoping he does work on the side :P

Should have tried to get my maps updated though :P still kicking myself in the butt for not asking lol
Yes, they pay a warranty rate, not the retail labor rate. They still have at least 2 financial reasons to break warranty policies.
  1. Potentially gain a customer for future maintenance and out of warranty repairs.
  2. The warranty labor rate is still better than a service bay being empty.

When a mechanic requests a warranty replacement part and knows Nissan won't accept it for physical damage, so he lists a different issue that is covered by the warranty but doesn't truly exist, that is warranty fraud. Plain and simple.

Don't mistake my viewpoint as an ill view of you. I personally am glad you were able to get your concerns addressed. I am just stating the facts of warranty coverage and letting you know how lucky your were.

Last edited by Ryne; 10-02-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:15 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Well thank God she isn't a BMW eh? haha
Old 10-02-2015, 11:20 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne
Yes, they pay a warranty rate, not the retail labor rate. They still have at least 2 financial reasons to break warranty policies.
  1. Potentially gain a customer for future maintenance and out of warranty repairs.
  2. The warranty labor rate is still better than a service bay being empty.

When a mechanic requests a warranty replacement part and knows Nissan won't accept it for physical damage, so he lists a different issue that is covered by the warranty but doesn't truly exist, that is warranty fraud. Plain and simple.

Don't mistake my viewpoint as an ill view of you. I personally am glad you were able to get your concerns addressed. I am just stating the facts of warranty coverage and letting you know how lucky your were.
Yup exactly, they were happy to see a new customer that just moved into town and saw an opportunity for a good potential repeat customer. I'm afraid to say that the only money they'll get from me, hopefully, is the oil change I had to get done when I first moved up here without my tools shipped in yet.