Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2009 G37xS with Premium and NAV or 2010 M35x with Tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Carbok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 G37xS with Premium and NAV or 2010 M35x with Tech

Im 6'3 and have two kids and a wife. So I want some leg room. I test drove the M a week ago on a whim and was going to grab the G but I just got a few incredible lease deals. Im worried about room in the G. The M is more of a luxury car it seems where the G is more or a toy.

The G 39months/15k per year no money down 499/month includes 3 years of maintenance.

The M 39month/15k per year no money down 614/month also includes 3 years of maintenance.

Obviously I would rather spend the 499 but will it work with one or two car seats? Behind me is very tight. We have a minivan so will barely use my car to cart kids. Will be more of a one off.

Also, the sports seats on the G, will they loosen up? They tell me they will but want to hear from real owners. Im 210 and its a bit tight on my butt, but the leg extension is great for comfort. If the bottom loosens up it would be a great fit.

I would buy instead of lease the G if I end up going that way but I am afraid that with the new G coming out any day now it will depreciate to fast.

I want to make a decision by lunch tomorrow. I have been going back and forth on so many cars I want it done and so does wife. All input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbok
Im 6'3 and have two kids and a wife. So I want some leg room. I test drove the M a week ago on a whim and was going to grab the G but I just got a few incredible lease deals. Im worried about room in the G. The M is more of a luxury car it seems where the G is more or a toy.

The G 39months/15k per year no money down 499/month includes 3 years of maintenance.

The M 39month/15k per year no money down 614/month also includes 3 years of maintenance.

Obviously I would rather spend the 499 but will it work with one or two car seats? Behind me is very tight. We have a minivan so will barely use my car to cart kids. Will be more of a one off.

Also, the sports seats on the G, will they loosen up? They tell me they will but want to hear from real owners. Im 210 and its a bit tight on my butt, but the leg extension is great for comfort. If the bottom loosens up it would be a great fit.

I would buy instead of lease the G if I end up going that way but I am afraid that with the new G coming out any day now it will depreciate to fast.

I want to make a decision by lunch tomorrow. I have been going back and forth on so many cars I want it done and so does wife. All input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The G is a blast to drive, but I wouldn't call it a toy. It's a pretty damn capable sport sedan. But if you want room & luxury it's no contest, get the M. We tote kids in our G alot, we have 2 car seats and stow a kid in the middle of the back seat in a pinch. You being 6'3 would make it pretty tough to have a car seat behind your seatback, you'd have to be going on pretty short trips. If you're just running kids around town in the G it'd be fine though. I think the Ms are getting ready to take a bigger hit than the Gs, the 2011 M coming out in the spring is completely new (and stunning), teh G is just a late generation refresh.
HTHs and good luck with whatever car you choose, they're both very nice (and NOT toys, lol)
Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM
KLB

I'd say go with the one that will fit what you want more. If it is a nice sedan to cart around town in get the M. If you want the experience of driving, get the G.

FWIW - I am also 6'3", and I can even get a shorter adult behind me in the backseat. I would never try getting anyone near my height back there. I've also had two car seats back there. The only issue is feet on the back of the seat.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are going to put two car seats in the back, I would definitely recommend the M. That said, if you like the current model M and are willing to wait a few months, you can probably get a great deal on a 2010 when the 2011 M comes out.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very different cars. M is bigger and much more roomy. G is tighter and faster and sportier. M=comfort. G=performance.

The Sport seats on the G will NOT loosen up. The seat bottom bolsters are very snug for aggressive driving but too tight for long drives.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 PM
MParker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My impression is that you want a family car (mostly) so I'd recommend the M if it's in your budget. An alternative you might consider is the Maxima SV Prem/Nav/Tech. It's very similar to the new M37 and is a great performer too at $15K less. My wife loves hers and even lets me drive it occasionally.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Alex57r

M35 has the old 5 speed auto for some reason so the MPG must really suck in that car. I too think the maxima is a good alternative if one does not mind the CVT.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
MParker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CVT gets a lot of good and bad press and I'd like to see the real numbers that cite serious problems on properly maintained transmissions before I'd be worried.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Carbok

I was to worried about the Maxima and for about the same price could get eh G. I went with the G37x and dropped the S after hearing the seats wont loosen. I like the S seats better but sometimes I sit in traffic for an hour being in DC area. So sitting on an uncomfortable or painful seat might be bad. Not a fan of the reg seats, just hope I get used to them. Signed and made the first lease payment last night but had to run home and help with the kids. Grabbing the car today. Hope I made the right decesion. If not either 39months with it or swap a lase. Its good to see so many people here love it. I basiically promised the wife a decsion by today and the M was just to much for me to swallow.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:14 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I still love the 2010 M
Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Eastern-G

I had an 03 and 07 G35 coupe before my daughter was born. I was in the same dilemma as you - G37x or M35x? I decided to go with the M because of the large amount of room inside and luxury features (heated/reclining rear seats and LCD entertainment system!). We also have an SUV and I'm not a very tall individual, but the M just felt cavernous. The trunk in the M is huge so I figured hauling around strollers, packages, and the in-laws would be easier in the M. Plus it drives very well - sporty enough, not a mushy magic carpet ride.

However, after a year in the M I am beginning to wish I had gone with a G37 because of its lower cost and sportier nature. The extra room in the M is great, but the G is more fun to drive and would have been less of a blow financially. If you already have a minivan, there's no real need for the extra room in an M. Whenever I bring my car in for service I get a G37 loaner and I love it!

I think you'll have a winner either way - good luck with your purchase!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
jmark

Originally Posted by Carbok
I was to worried about the Maxima and for about the same price could get eh G. I went with the G37x and dropped the S after hearing the seats wont loosen. I like the S seats better but sometimes I sit in traffic for an hour being in DC area. So sitting on an uncomfortable or painful seat might be bad. Not a fan of the reg seats, just hope I get used to them. Signed and made the first lease payment last night but had to run home and help with the kids. Grabbing the car today. Hope I made the right decesion. If not either 39months with it or swap a lase. Its good to see so many people here love it. I basiically promised the wife a decsion by today and the M was just to much for me to swallow.
I was looking at a Maxima until I realized for about the same money or even cheaper I could buy a G37 Sedan. Makes no sense to buy a Maxima over a G37 IMHO.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Carbok

Thanks for all the input. I went for the G37x Nav and Premium. Dropped the S because of the worry over the seats being so tight. Thank you all for the help!