Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37 S.O.W Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
when you lower the window you not only change the air space in the doors, but also remember glass responds to sound different than it responds to metal.

On top of that you are now leaking your sound to the outside world and outside sounds are coming in.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I hear ya. I was just shocked at the immediacy of the tonal change.
Maybe its because Ive never had a car with 10"s in the doors
Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Memphoman
In each door: 1" soft dome tweeter/3" neodymium-magnetic midrange/ 10" neodymium-magnetic woofer. Backseat area, 1 6.5" full range fill on each side. Same for the front center speaker. 2x 10" neodymium-magnetic woofers in the rear deck.

This is for the sedan only. The coup has 3.5" mids in the back seat area and the center dash and 6 X 9's in the rear deck.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jbass350z
There are no dimensions given anywhere in the FSM, but judging from past Bose experience, I would say few if any aftermarket subwoofers will fit. Take for instance the 350Z Bose subwoofer. They stated it was a 10", but in reality it was more like 11". A 10" wouldnt fit because the cutouts were too small, although some customizing could be done to make it fit.

I am betting you could fit some shallow mount subwoofers in place of the stock ones using some custom mounting brackets. But again you will run into issues since the Bose subwoofers are usually free-air type, meaning there is not a sealed enclosure.

Again this is all speculation, but is based on experience with Bose systems on all types of vehicles. If I had my hands on one, I could pop the doors off in a matter of minutes to verify this.

I know Rockford has a drop in replacement for the 10" woofers and I believe JBL has them too. Most go with adaptor plates and put a 6" in place of the 10" though
Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
I find it hard to believe that my coupe has 2 10" woofers and the bass is not pounding ?# ?:/

Any one added a true sub or modified the rear deck for a deeper bass? Maybe they are under powered ?!

Believe it, the drivers are there and as advertised; but consider that the door woofers are only about 2" deep there's not much room to create any air movement; plus the fact that there not in a sealed enclosure, the doors aren't dampened worth jack and the amp driving those two 10" speakers is about the side of four packs of cigarettes and you'll understand the lack of impact
Old 03-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
Wonder if they work free air so as to be placed and swapped for the rear deck 6x9s

The JL's are made for a sealed enclosure; the specs recommend .5 cu feet. That's going to be near impossible in the G's door panel unless you create custom door pods and spacers. The rear deck is doable, just not sure about 10's back there. I put 6" mids in my coup rear deck and custom built a fiberglass enclosure to seal them from below. Keep in mind that part of the anemic performance of the rear deck speakers is due mostly to the amp/crossover scheme Bose has in place