Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Hertz MPK 163.5 3 way components

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:36 AM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hertz MPK 163.5 3 way components

Anyone know where I can find a set of these MPK 163.5 car audio speakers system ? I think I want to go with some 3 way components and these seem to be the ones I want. Is it best to use the crossover they come with, or power all of them separately and use my PXA-H800 DSP as the crossover?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:43 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
To find a dealer....
Elettromedia USA | Retailer Locator

Why do you want to go three way?
I ask because you are asking if you should use the crossover provided or use an external crossover. That to me sounds like you might be biting off more than you can chew.
My two way set up took me a good three days to tune manually and i'm not an expert or even claim to be. I did have had some local experts help when tuning though.

I've heard very few three way set ups that actually impressed me. You can do a lot with a 2 way set up when the products are quality.

Install is key.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:21 AM
JakeG37

I have been reading where they suggest putting your tweeter and mids close to one another for proper imaging. If I only have a 6.5" in the door and place the tweeters low on my a-pillar would that be close enough? Going with just a two way system would be easier, Im sure. I just don't want to feel like im missing something. I guess the conversation I would like to hear is a 2 way vs 3 way debate. So I take it you recommend just using the crossover that comes with my speakers?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:49 PM
JakeG37

Since I have an Alpine DSP (PXA-H800 + remote) I will be using that as my active crossover. Since its digital dialing it in will be straight forward. I just have to determine what I want the settings to be. I really want to do 3 way but I will wait until I go talk to another shop and find out what they recommend and if they could help me with tuning. I really want to do the soundproofing myself and the amp/sub install. I would only be interested in having a shop help dial in the components and possibly do an a-pillar mod. I am battling some health limitations at the moment so I dont know when or if I will tackle this all on my own.