Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

New Navigation Looks Like It Still SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:34 PM
civic4982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N50
You're right...but think. If you get into an accident caused by you paying more attention to or programming your navi instead of watching the road, do you really think Infiniti wants to be liable (in any way) for your action? No. Which is why it is the way it is. They don't even want to take a chance.

how about I decide when it's safe or not safe to use the functioning parts of my car?

I don't like the gov't telling me what to do and when to do it, and I sure as hell hate my car telling me what to do and when to do it !
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM
civic4982

while they'are at it, why don't they automatically lock the visor mirrors so women can't fix their make up while driving and lock up the cupholders so you can't bring a drink into the car and have a slurpy while driving
Old 06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
bostonmerlin

I'm a pilot who uses navigation products in the cockpit... which are immensely more difficult to use than (from:address, to:address) in a car.. that being said i cant pull my plane over to the side of the road to work with a navigation display so i instead program everything before taking off.. making minor changes while in route. I wish i could use voice commands in the cockpit as that would prevent further distractions.

In a car.. if you're in such a rush to program navigation while driving (but refuse to issue a voice command because you're too busy talking on the phone) you should prob save some money.. skip the built-in nav units and buy a portable one. I'm not about to program address information via touchscreen while driving.. it's inconsiderate placing everyone around you in danger. Why do you think some states/cities ban cellphone use? Because it's dangerous. why do drivers (like you and me) frown on those who shave/talk on the phone/put on lipstick/comb hair in the rear view mirror while driving? because it's dangerous!

I applaud those car companies/nav manufacturers who disable input when the car is moving.. driving in some cities is dangerous enough.. why add fuel to the fire! Cars these days offer a false sense of security. You may not die in a wreck.. but those w/out all the airbags, vdc etc.. are out-of-luck when you come flying around the corner looking for a burger king on the nav. You have a dangerous attitude if you think driving and focusing on a screen is safe.

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 06-13-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
anotha

^ couldnt have said it better myself
Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 PM
G35_TX
Premier Member

I agree it might be a safety issue as well. But when the Passenger can't even do it, it doesn't make sense. On trips I would have the passenger do it instead of myself. But in the Camry we had, and Infiniti's / Nissans you can't.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM
N50

Originally Posted by civic4982
how about I decide when it's safe or not safe to use the functioning parts of my car?

I don't like the gov't telling me what to do and when to do it, and I sure as hell hate my car telling me what to do and when to do it !
Ah, you're one of those. You'd be the first one to get into an accident. "Gee, it can't happen to me."

I hope for you're sake, you don't. I never like to hear stories of people smashing up their cars because they weren't using their head.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
N50

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
I'm a pilot who uses navigation products in the cockpit... which are immensely more difficult to use than (from:address, to:address) in a car.. that being said i cant pull my plane over to the side of the road to work with a navigation display so i instead program everything before taking off.. making minor changes while in route. I wish i could use voice commands in the cockpit as that would prevent further distractions.

In a car.. if you're in such a rush to program navigation while driving (but refuse to issue a voice command because you're too busy talking on the phone) you should prob save some money.. skip the built-in nav units and buy a portable one. I'm not about to program address information via touchscreen while driving.. it's inconsiderate placing everyone around you in danger. Why do you think some states/cities ban cellphone use? Because it's dangerous. why do drivers (like you and me) frown on those who shave/talk on the phone/put on lipstick/comb hair in the rear view mirror while driving? because it's dangerous!

I applaud those car companies/nav manufacturers who disable input when the car is moving.. driving in some cities is dangerous enough.. why add fuel to the fire! Cars these days offer a false sense of security. You may not die in a wreck.. but those w/out all the airbags, vdc etc.. are out-of-luck when you come flying around the corner looking for a burger king on the nav. You have a dangerous attitude if you think driving and focusing on a screen is safe.
Well said.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin

Agree 100% . In Chicago you MUST wear an earbud with a cell phone or get ticketed. Driving a car demands more attention than most people give it these days. I just unloaded my motorcycle because I felt that I had tested fate too much lately with unobservant drivers and my number was coming up. I came up on some idiot using his Lexus-self-park feature and he almost took me out because he couldn't figure out whether he should be steering the thing(another nice distraction...). Pull over and program the NAV if you can't figure out how to use voice command, it's not that difficult and you'll get there in plenty of time or a few minutes later than you already are running...

Nav is a paid privilege, not some God-given right.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:00 PM
N50

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
BINGO!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
G35_TX
Premier Member

For the driver yes, but for the passenger no. That is the reason why it should be left up to the driver not the manufacture whether or not it needs to be locked down.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM
N50

Originally Posted by G35_TX
For the driver yes, but for the passenger no. That is the reason why it should be left up to the driver not the manufacture whether or not it needs to be locked down.
In that case they could do the following:

Many cars have a passenger "idiot light" that detects when you have a passenger and when you don't. Maybe the car could detect when you have a passenger and, in some fashion, only allow your passenger to program the nav.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:20 PM
civic4982

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I agree with this sentence.

I paid for it so it's my privelege to use it when I please.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 PM
civic4982

Originally Posted by N50
You're right...but think. If you get into an accident caused by you paying more attention to or programming your navi instead of watching the road, do you really think Infiniti wants to be liable (in any way) for your action? No. Which is why it is the way it is. They don't even want to take a chance.

If liability is such a fear then this would be industry standard however it's NOT. Infiniti/Nissan are one of the few morons doing this in their cars. Other car companies do not force this upon their consumers. Aftermarket units also do not disable their touch screen controls simply because the data is logging that the object is in motion.

This is idiot logic that has decided to forego industry standards.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:38 PM
trebien

Originally Posted by G35_TX
I guess you missed the tests where the TL-S beat the 07 G on the track.
That's interesting... where was that?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 PM
N50

Originally Posted by civic4982
If liability is such a fear then this would be industry standard however it's NOT. Infiniti/Nissan are one of the few morons doing this in their cars. Other car companies do not force this upon their consumers. Aftermarket units also do not disable their touch screen controls simply because the data is logging that the object is in motion.

This is idiot logic that has decided to forego industry standards.

That could be because an accident hasn't been proved to have been caused by such an action...yet. Trust me, once it happens, every car company will do the same. They don't care about your safety per se, they don't want to lose the money through legal action.

Do what you please. Just use your head when driving... that is all I care about.

Quick Reply: New Navigation Looks Like It Still SUCKS