Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

New Navigation Looks Like It Still SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
As long as this new Infiniti system is DVD based and has touch/voice it should be all good as that is about as good as it gets today.
The Navigation in the G37 will be hard drive based, not DVD based. IMO, hard drive based is so much better because of no storage space restrictions like on DVD, and also it will have much quicker access times. IMO, DVD based Navigation systems are yesterday's technology.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:52 PM
GT-R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by civic4982
acura/honda navi is light years ahead even the newest one on the g37 coupe.

my mistake on it being touch screen though.
How so?

Do you have any proof to back up this claim?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 PM
verbal assassin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ICHANCE
Hey guys you gotta remember where he's coming from.............................................. ................Civic. The world of the wrong wheel drives.

i wouldnt say light years ahead, but probably a good 3-5 years ahead of infiniti. honda/acura were already touch screen/voice activated and user friendly. infinity barely used the touch screen 1-2 years ago.

did you see the user interface in the 2003-2005 navigation on the G? hahaha. wtf is that. Can you say DOS. on my 06 coupe, the navigation is okay, but the joystick was crap. takes way too long to enter in a destination.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
civic4982

Originally Posted by verbal assassin
i wouldnt say light years ahead, but probably a good 3-5 years ahead of infiniti. honda/acura were already touch screen/voice activated and user friendly. infinity barely used the touch screen 1-2 years ago.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say it was 9.46 × 10^12 km ahead (1 light year) but 305 years ahead is the lifecycle of an entire model of car so far as japanese manufacturers generally go.

I agree that they were already user friendly and touch screen/voice activated plus at this point they all have traffic management integrated in too!

The new one merely attempts to keep up with other companies so far as technology goes. They were about 3 years behind on the bluetooth thing as well as other things which they haven't even come close to yet (DVD-Audio or a legitimate sound system out of the box as other german manufacturers provide).

Technologically speaking Nissan is behind the curve. They're just now getting into variable intake and exhaust timings on their V6 motors where as their german counterparts have been doing it for an entire generation of automobiles. What I do appreciate is the recent ingenuity for the dual intake manifolds offered on the HR motor but in other aspects the automotive industry is leaving Nissan to trail behind.

Last edited by civic4982; 06-12-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:50 PM
verbal assassin
Banned

yeah, take a look at the g37 dyno video. i can't even see or hear when "vtec" kicks in.

on a civic SI or a integra type R, which is about 8 years old, you can hear, and see when vtec kicks in. and its only a 20k car. hahaha.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
timn99

Have you played with the 07 G navi, or is that a blanket statement? Let us know your observations/comparison if you don't mind me asking.

I came from an 04 TL and while Acura/Honda navi is good in the industry, the new Infiniti navi is much better. Acura/Honda may have enhanced since my 04 TL, but the current Infiniti navi is simply terrific!

The new Infiniti bluetooth and phonebook setup kicks *ss. The Acuras had no visual display of the phonebook, everything was voice prompted but at least they had voicetags.

acura/honda navi is light years ahead even the newest one on the g37 coupe.

my mistake on it being touch screen though.

Last edited by timn99; 06-12-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:01 PM
verbal assassin
Banned

Originally Posted by timn99
Have you played with the 07 G navi, or is that a blanket statement? Let us know your observations/comparison if you don't mind me asking.

I came from an 04 TL and while Acura/Honda navi is good in the industry, the new Infiniti navi is much better. Acura/Honda may have enhanced since my 04 TL, but the current Infiniti navi is simply terrific!

did you even read what he said. he said honda/acura were years ahead of infinti. The 07 navi barely came out in 06.

compare your 04 TL navi with the 04 navi on the G. tell me which one is better. ever seen and use the navi on the 04 G? hahah. Looks like a freaking 1991 nintendo interface.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:04 PM
timn99

Thanks for the clarification Honda/Acura homer.

Back in 04, everthing about the TL was better than the G in my personal opinion (looks, interior, technology, value), but now the 07 G35 sedan has changed things. While the current TL is getting outdated but nevertheless still has a strong market and loyal following, I'm sure Acura will be much more competitive in the next TL redesign.

did you even read what he said. he said honda/acura were years ahead of infinti. The 07 navi barely came out in 06.

compare your 04 TL navi with the 04 navi on the G. tell me which one is better. ever seen and use the navi on the 04 G? hahah. Looks like a freaking 1991 nintendo interface.

Last edited by timn99; 06-12-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:37 PM
muscarel

What's Acura doing in 07 that Infiniti is not (Navigation-wise)?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by muscarel
What's Acura doing in 07 that Infiniti is not (Navigation-wise)?
Exactly! Why compare Navigation systems from 3-4 years ago? It's irrelevant to today.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:07 PM
bostonmerlin

it's all about the latest hot-new technology. If your nav today does not support 3d view (i.e. birdview), touchscreen, voice prompts and traffic then it's going to be viewed negatively by most. Down the road (so to speak) it'll be live weather feeds (via xm), google-like maps w/3d representations of the buildings around you, buddies list (where are they now), multiple voice choices and any of the other cool technologies that tie gps data with internet information. There will allways be something to compare these things to.

As we've seen with the 2007 sedan and now the g37 coupe.. the screen is there regardless if you have Nav or not. As we move forward most if not all cars will have a central place to control the cars functions. Eventually nav wont be an option.. it'll be part of the luxury package or whatever else they decide to call it. Nav will be a commodity

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 06-12-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
**Canadian_G**

Originally Posted by ICHANCE
Hey guys you gotta remember where he's coming from.............................................. ................Civic. The world of the wrong wheel drives.
Yeah but Honda still makes the best FWD cars in the world
Old 06-12-2007, 05:12 PM
verbal assassin
Banned

Originally Posted by **Canadian_G**
Yeah but Honda still makes the best FWD cars in the world

plus their engine doesnt burn oil. and fwd are better suited for 60% of the drivers here. do a search, how many dumbazzes crash their 38K+ G because they can't handle a RWD car?

learn to crawl b4 u walk. also most of them have AT too. hahah. wtf is that about. cant drive worth shlt.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 PM
xdram

plus their engine doesnt burn oil. and fwd are better suited for 60% of the drivers here. do a search, how many dumbazzes crash their 38K+ G because they can't handle a RWD car?

learn to crawl b4 u walk. also most of them have AT too. hahah. wtf is that about. cant drive worth shlt.
Is that why rumors are TL is moving to AWD next gen? You'll never see me in a FWD.

Show me were you got these stats from or shut up.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Curt G

Technologically speaking Nissan is behind the curve. They're just now getting into variable intake and exhaust timings on their V6 motors where as their german counterparts have been doing it for an entire generation of automobiles. What I do appreciate is the recent ingenuity for the dual intake manifolds offered on the HR motor but in other aspects the automotive industry is leaving Nissan to trail behind.
Are you sure about that? I believe that Nissan came out with a variable valve engine 3 years BEFORE Honda (VG30DE(TT) in 1986 vs. VTEC in 1989). Oh, and since it is an infinitely sequential variable system, you never get the "kick" like the 2-mode VTEC produces which proves that HP for the Honda is being lost before the switch.

Quick Reply: New Navigation Looks Like It Still SUCKS