tirerack.com winter tires for boston

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Orbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent joeposter, exactly the news we were all waiting on. Some of us have the exact same setup for our coupes from Tirerack. I've been waiting to pick up a hydraulic jack and torque wrench before I put mine on, as my tires have been sitting in my garage for a week and a half already. Probably won't have time till today, but from the forecast doesn't look like much snow will be flying for the next two weeks. Also in regards to the bolt on the front rotor, I believe the G35C's also had this and yes it was to prevent the rears from being mounted on the fronts.

Last edited by Orbie; 11-09-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
Did you use the jackpoints on the side
Yes.

Originally Posted by tomcat146
Did you use the tire pressure sensors that were on the stock wheels ? I want to buy 4 TPS for my winter wheels but they are $102 each.
The sensors were an extra $362 from tirerack so I skipped them. The warning light took a while to come on and seems to blink for a while each time you start up. Overall it's pretty small and doesn't bother me much.

Originally Posted by Orbie
Also in regards to the bolt on the front rotor...yes it was to prevent the rears from being mounted on the fronts.
Yeah, I verified this in the service manual.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Comatose

Great Stuff!! Do you mind throwing up some pics of the entire car with the rims on it??

Last edited by Comatose; 11-11-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:09 PM
bostonmerlin

my tires came in a few weeks back. i'm holding off until it stays consistantly cold here in Boston before switching them out with my summers... but today i wanted to make sure they were going to fit so i used my new low profile floor jack (From sears) to lift her up and slap one of those winters on. They look good and it appears to fit w/no problems (i.e. no brake clearance issues). Make sure you follow instructions as you need to put the tires on with the arrows pointing forward.

Instructions that came with the tires state there is a round insert placed into the wheel well which has to come off when you take your winters off next spring... i'm not sure why that insert is in there.. if anyone has an answer to that let me know.

john

new floor jack from sears.. fits under the car perfectly.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ls&cName=Mecha nics+Tools&sName=Lift+Equipment
Attached Thumbnails tirerack.com winter tires for boston-jack.jpg  

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 11-10-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:23 PM
bostonmerlin

i dont see this big a$$ bolt in the pictures from the post above. this is a shot from my rear left calipar. i dont think that bolt in the center is causing any problems.. though it feels like its night as snug when i test fitted my tire.

at first when you guys were talking about removing a bolt i thought it was this big center bolt.. though it looks like it keeps things together. Thoughts? Looks like it should stay on to me and i dont believe there are any clearance issues with it but when i threw my winter tire on it didnt feel as snug as i think it should... maybe just me... prob!

another question.. do i need to mark my summer tires with where to put them back on next spring? i didnt see any arrows marking the direction of the tire..

thanks
john
Attached Thumbnails tirerack.com winter tires for boston-g37-rotar.jpg   tirerack.com winter tires for boston-g37-rotar-2.jpg  

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 11-10-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@bostonmerlin:
If you have the sports package, the front rotor has the bolt to prevent the rear wheel from being put up front.
I always mark which wheel went where but with the sports package it's pretty obvious. The 45's go up front with the 40's in the back. Then the tires are directional so you know which side they go on.

@Comatose:
This is the best pic I could come up with. There's also one of the warning light to show that it's not that big of a deal.
Attached Thumbnails tirerack.com winter tires for boston-car.jpg   tirerack.com winter tires for boston-warning.jpg  
Old 11-11-2007, 12:00 AM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John,
I'm thinking maybe you are describing "hub concentric" rings, I think that's what they're called. If your wheels came with 4 rings, approx. 2 inches in diameter, try putting them in the center portion of your rims before you mount them. Or, alternately, put them on the ring around the large nut in the center of the brake rotor... If my guess is correct and they pop right in, your wheels will fit snug the next time you mount. The big nut stays.

Regards,

Ron
Old 11-11-2007, 05:27 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put 118" winters on mine low pressure light came on i went back to the tire place they told me the dealer had to reset the sensors. Turns out they were right dropped the car off at the dealer and 30 mins later sensors reset and i was on my way free of charge. Thanks erickson infiniti of edmonton.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:49 PM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by G37RacerX
John,
I'm thinking maybe you are describing "hub concentric" rings, I think that's what they're called. If your wheels came with 4 rings, approx. 2 inches in diameter, try putting them in the center portion of your rims before you mount them. Or, alternately, put them on the ring around the large nut in the center of the brake rotor... If my guess is correct and they pop right in, your wheels will fit snug the next time you mount. The big nut stays.

Regards,

Ron
thanks racer.. those rings came installed in each rim.. sort of loose and can rotate around. instructions that came with the rims from tirerack state those rings must come off the rotar area if/when you switch out with other tires. just not sure what they're for.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Orbie

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
thanks racer.. those rings came installed in each rim.. sort of loose and can rotate around. instructions that came with the rims from tirerack state those rings must come off the rotar area if/when you switch out with other tires. just not sure what they're for.
Yeah basically they're just 4 plastic rings, their purpose is exactly as the name sounds, they allow for the rim to mount exactly centered on the hub of the axle on your car. The center bore of the rim is larger than the hub on your car, thus if you were to try to mount the rims without it, you could be mounting them off center and thus your car will ride very rough with alot of vibration which obviously could be very dangerous. You will see this alot if you buy aftermarket rims because 9 times out of 10 the manufacturer is producing the rim for universal fitment.

The rims that came specifically on your G37 were made to fit the car perfectly. This is the reason why you must ensure the centering rings are pulled off the hub of the car before you mount your O.E. rims back on. If you don't, first you'll notice that once you mount the rim it won't fit flush against the car, next you'll notice that no matter how much you tighten the bolts the rim will still be loose. Each of these things is obviously very dangerous if you drive like this. The centering ring is preventing a flush mounting, as the O.E. rims where designed for the exact size of the hub. If you continue to try and tighten the bolts you'll eventually hear the 'crack' of the plastic ring being crushed against the car. Then you'll have to go out and buy another one when you re-mount your aftermarkets. It's important to note although the rings might appear snug on in your rims right now, it is very possible that when you take the rims off the ring will stay on the hub and not come off with the wheel, so Tirerack is just making sure you check for that.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:55 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the info, I was wondering what that ring was for also!!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
Cool, glad I could help. Maybe you can post a couple of pics with your winter setup after you install them...
Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by Orbie
Yeah basically they're just 4 plastic rings, their purpose is exactly as the name sounds, they allow for the rim to mount exactly centered on the hub of the axle on your car. The center bore of the rim is larger than the hub on your car, thus if you were to try to mount the rims without it, you could be mounting them off center and thus your car will ride very rough with alot of vibration which obviously could be very dangerous. You will see this alot if you buy aftermarket rims because 9 times out of 10 the manufacturer is producing the rim for universal fitment.

The rims that came specifically on your G37 were made to fit the car perfectly. This is the reason why you must ensure the centering rings are pulled off the hub of the car before you mount your O.E. rims back on. If you don't, first you'll notice that once you mount the rim it won't fit flush against the car, next you'll notice that no matter how much you tighten the bolts the rim will still be loose. Each of these things is obviously very dangerous if you drive like this. The centering ring is preventing a flush mounting, as the O.E. rims where designed for the exact size of the hub. If you continue to try and tighten the bolts you'll eventually hear the 'crack' of the plastic ring being crushed against the car. Then you'll have to go out and buy another one when you re-mount your aftermarkets. It's important to note although the rings might appear snug on in your rims right now, it is very possible that when you take the rims off the ring will stay on the hub and not come off with the wheel, so Tirerack is just making sure you check for that.
GREAT response.. thanks for taking the time!
john
Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM
cyberjock4hire

Thanks for the info in the replies. I ordered my winter tires from Tire Rack this morning and knew exactly what to expect. Gaining this type of knowledge prior to making a decision is probably one of the most valuable tools that the internet provides. Thanks, and I am certainly glad that the tire pressure warning does not activate a buzzer. I felt no need to spend the extra $400+ on the tire pressure sensors.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 AM
DEC1

Originally Posted by cyberjock4hire
Thanks for the info in the replies. I ordered my winter tires from Tire Rack this morning and knew exactly what to expect. Gaining this type of knowledge prior to making a decision is probably one of the most valuable tools that the internet provides. Thanks, and I am certainly glad that the tire pressure warning does not activate a buzzer. I felt no need to spend the extra $400+ on the tire pressure sensors.

Couldn't agree more. These guys (and gals) are very helpful, friendly and knowledgable and have really created a great resource for all of us.

Please keep us posted on your driving experiences in the white stuff with your G37....either here or on the other thread called "winter driving"

I haven't yet purchased a G but fully intend to in the Spring. Your experiences and willingness to share them will help me and others make the right decision and know what to expect.

Quick Reply: tirerack.com winter tires for boston