TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

[TSB] G37 Oil consumption ITB10-048

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:34 AM
jsweaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. My 2009 went back into the shop two weeks ago. This time they performed a long-block replacement. Just got it back on Saturday. In the meantime, the paperwork is being processed by Nissan-USA to repurchase the 2009 vehicle. They are purchasing it back per VA lemon law, without going through arbitration which probably means that they will be able to resell this vehicle without any disclosure of the issues it has had. The repurchase agreement works in my favor because they are only charging me usage of the vehicle for the first 7000 miles. I will get back the full purchase price, taxes, tags and fees (minus the usage) and will be getting a VPP A? code towards the purchase of a new vehicle. Since I couldn't find a 2011 Black Obsidian / Graphite 6MT... I had to order a 2012... darn. :-)

My 2009 had the rear spoiler... was planning on removing it from the car, but I was able to get one from cvipgo (THANKS!)... hopefully there were no changes to the trunk for 2012.

Only crazy thing is that Nissan wants me to surrender my vehicle, prior to delivery of the new vehicle. They basically said in not so many words... that I was being too particular about the vehicle I wanted. LOL!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
jsweaz

Another Update: At 1000 miles I brought the vehicle back to Infiniti and it was determined that it was indeed consuming oil. It was down 10 millimeters. Those crazy bastards didn't refill the oil at that point. They were authorized to order a long block and so they opted to continue the oil consumption test for another 1000 miles. It has been my experience that the engine consumption seems to follow a parabolic curve... meaning... the more miles driven the faster oil is consumed. At 2000 miles the engine reached it's safety level and restricted RPM to 4000. I limped the car to the dealership and there it sat for another two weeks awaiting the new engine.

I picked up the car from the dealership a little over a week ago and it seems to run well. I drove it about 300 miles. I'm not sure about the oil consumption issue though because on Friday I completed the repurchase process with Nissan-USA. They took ownership of the car and I left with a check in hand.

Now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 2012!

From what I understand, my 2009 vehicle is going to be transported to Michigan. The long block is probably what should have been done in the first place... If anyone is in the market for a 2009 G37S Convertible 6MT Black/Graphite please contact me first to see if the VINs match. By the way the car also has 3M Clear bra and the OEM rear spoiler... and around 22,000 miles.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 PM
adam

If there is oil consumption in the car can't we just add more oil when needed/perform more frequent oil changes? Rather than going through the nightmare of having the engine replaced?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Swacer

Has this been found to be an issue with the 2011+ models?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 PM
jsweaz

A car that is consuming that much oil is bound to have issues beyond consumption down the road. I would imagine there would be issues with emission, sensors, etc.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jsweaz
A car that is consuming that much oil is bound to have issues beyond consumption down the road. I would imagine there would be issues with emission, sensors, etc.

Exactly, it technically falls into the emissions part of the warranty.

A car burning oil produces excessive hydrocarbon tailpipe emissions,
Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
There has got to be more G owners that have this issue. It seems like there is a history of oil consumption with this engine and previous generations. This is a big fail for Nissan.

Are there any other G owners affected by this? My VIN isn't listed in the TSB, but I performed the OC test as stated in the TSB. My car has 7k miles, and after 1k miles it consumed 8mm of oil (by the dipstick). I have changed my oil every 3 months and changed it right at 1200 miles (end of break in period). I follow the break in period rules to the "T."

What do you all think I should do? Next month will be my 18th month of ownership.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:25 PM
GTresSiete
Registered Member

Oil light just came on!

I have a 09 G37s Sedan 6MT and it looks like I might be falling under this same issue. I had to hard brake last night to avoid a teenager riding in the street with no reflectors or lights on his bicycle. Immediately my oil light came on. So when I got in front of my house, I picked up some speed and applied some hard brake again. The same thing happened again. I checked my oil and it's extremely low. What concerns me is that I checked my oil less than 1000 miles ago before a trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and it was full. I'm heading outside to check my vin number as we speak to see if it falls under the specified numbers.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
GTresSiete
Registered Member

So let me get this straight, if i have a 2009 Sedan, I don't need to check my vin? The TSB is applied to all made that year?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GTresSiete
So let me get this straight, if i have a 2009 Sedan, I don't need to check my vin? The TSB is applied to all made that year?
That's how it reads.

I'm surprised these isn't more chatter on this issue. I have a 2010 with a VIN not specified in the TSB and my car consumes oil. Had 8mm @1000 miles, topped it off and now has 8mm @ 750 miles. Seems like the consumption rate isn't constant which I find interesting. This was stated in a previous post as well.

Does draining the oil refresh something that affects consumption?...so you have the least consumption immediately after an oil change?...and consumption increases with current fill even after topping it off?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Redfox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indeed thanks AKG 37 for this information. I have a 2009 G37 Journey sedan and will be watching for any potential problems.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

I have a 09 G37s Sedan 6MT and it looks like I might be falling under this same issue. I had to hard brake last night to avoid a teenager riding in the street with no reflectors or lights on his bicycle. Immediately my oil light came on. So when I got in front of my house, I picked up some speed and applied some hard brake again. The same thing happened again. I checked my oil and it's extremely low. What concerns me is that I checked my oil less than 1000 miles ago before a trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and it was full. I'm heading outside to check my vin number as we speak to see if it falls under the specified numbers.

What did the dipstick oil-level show when the light came on? infiniti recently amended their 'low-oil range' with the TSB i.e oil is now 'low' when it reaches the END of the dipstick and not the end of the shaded region.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:20 PM
GTresSiete
Registered Member

I was terrified because my oil was at the end of the stick. I have gotten an oil change since, and the consumption rate has slowed drastically. This is very confusing to me. I was going to take it in to get the test, but it seems like I would pass because I have driven about 800 miles since my last oil change and the consumption rate has slowed.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

I was terrified because my oil was at the end of the stick. I have gotten an oil change since, and the consumption rate has slowed drastically. This is very confusing to me. I was going to take it in to get the test, but it seems like I would pass because I have driven about 800 miles since my last oil change and the consumption rate has slowed.
Strangely, if the oil level is at the very end of the stick, it's still considered okay per TSB. Mine would reach the low marker within a given oil-change interval and the dealership now says that that's considered within normal.

it's a relatively large v6 engine, definitely large bore size for a quick high-revving engine so it's hard not burn oil if operated in this fashion. 6 liters is not much to begin with so the consumption is probably more pronounced imo. I just watch and refill oil as needed...if sensors and cats begin to fail then I believe we'll start seeing seeing it soon in this forum.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Aggieav8r

Well, after a similar hard braking incident that caused the "oil" light to flicker, I pulled the dipstick ... bone-dry. Drained it, and only recovered .9 qts. Refilled it according to the method described in the TSB and sure enough, checked it at 750 miles and it had burned 15mm.

What a pain in the **** ... will talk to the dealership in the morning and keep you guys posted. Car has 30,000 on it.

I guess it's better to find out now rather than later, seeing as how I was about to spray a 150 shot on it.

To be continued ...

Quick Reply: [TSB] G37 Oil consumption ITB10-048