TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

[TSB] G37 Oil consumption ITB10-048

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^You drained oil and only got 1qt out??? That can't be good!

Anyone know what they actually changed in later model years to correct this? The tsb seems to be application to 2008/09/10 vehicle primarily.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 AM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Aggieav8r
Well, after a similar hard braking incident that caused the "oil" light to flicker, I pulled the dipstick ... bone-dry. Drained it, and only recovered .9 qts. Refilled it according to the method described in the TSB and sure enough, checked it at 750 miles and it had burned 15mm.

What a pain in the **** ... will talk to the dealership in the morning and keep you guys posted. Car has 30,000 on it.

I guess it's better to find out now rather than later, seeing as how I was about to spray a 150 shot on it.

To be continued ...

Out of curiosity, what year, oil used and intervals?
Hopefully it gets resolved smoothly.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Aggieav8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AKG37
Out of curiosity, what year, oil used and intervals?
Hopefully it gets resolved smoothly.
2009 sport. Full synthetics, Eneos 5W30, pennzoil ultra, mobil1 and redline.

Dealership wouldn't touch it until I went back to the stock intake - now that I have it's still consuming oil. Actually seems as though the rate has increased some. It appears to be syphoning out of the pcv valves. I've checked/cleaned/rechecked all those hoses and each time I pull 'em off they're lined with oil - the right side mores than the left.

Im thinking the valve cover issue? Similar to the 3.5 consumption issues?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Calgarywinger

Update July 2012:
As I feared and as some of you reported, changing the engine did not make any difference. Oil consumption was just as bad after the short block replacement.
I decided to switch oil and changed from ester to Mobil 1 5W30. Same consumption as before (one whole pint per 3000 miles).
I'm disappointed but not masochistic enough to go through the whole process with Infiniti a second time. I now carry a spare can of oil and just top the engine every 3000 miles.
I don't believe that excessive oil consumption affects the performance of the 3.7 engine so I'll just chalk it up to crappy engineering or crappy motor assembly. Then I found out that our 3.7 Liter engine was developed by Renault for Nissan and am no longer surprised at any problems I'll encounter.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 AM
jsweaz

@Calgarywinger... you need to keep complaining to Infiniti. You did not purchase an expensive car to have this many problems with the engine. Tell them you want them to repurchase the car back from you. Post your issues on their Facebook page... as soon as I did that, I received a prompt response!

Good luck...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
snaik69

Wow...twice?! That's unacceptable....you need to raise a BIG stink with the dealer....
GL.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM
jsweaz

BTW... my replacement 2012 G37S 6MT is currently under a second oil consumption test. After the first test the dealership said the levels were normal. I checked my oil between oil changes and this time it was almost two quarts low.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Aggieav8r

Update:

Dealer replaced short block. Upon startup, the tech said there were "unusual noises", new short block was ordered and they replaced it again. New short block install went ok, and so far 3000 miles, does not seem to be consuming oil. However, the car is making less power and struggles to start sometimes. I'm suspecting timing issues?

They also replaced my transmission while it was in for the short block swap. I had grinding in 5th and 6th gear when I took it in, they looked into it, and just replaced the tranny.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:15 AM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsweaz
BTW... my replacement 2012 G37S 6MT is currently under a second oil consumption test. After the first test the dealership said the levels were normal. I checked my oil between oil changes and this time it was almost two quarts low.
Wow unbelievable. Are you past the break-in period?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 AM
jsweaz

Originally Posted by AKG37
Wow unbelievable. Are you past the break-in period?
Yes sir. I currently have 12,000 miles on the 2012. This was the second time this car was almost 2 quarts low between oil changes and the second 1000 mile consumption test that showed normal levels. I find it quite odd. I will be monitoring the oil levels closely between oil changes.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Aggieav8r
2009 sport. Full synthetics, Eneos 5W30, pennzoil ultra, mobil1 and redline.

Dealership wouldn't touch it until I went back to the stock intake - now that I have it's still consuming oil. Actually seems as though the rate has increased some. It appears to be syphoning out of the pcv valves. I've checked/cleaned/rechecked all those hoses and each time I pull 'em off they're lined with oil - the right side mores than the left.

Im thinking the valve cover issue? Similar to the 3.5 consumption issues?
Have you or the stealership bothered to replace your PCV valves? Are you an aggressive driver, in that you really like to push the windy roads or pseudo auto-x? I just got a pre-cert 2010 after my 2008 got totaled and I sure hope I don't run into crap like this. Only reason I want an engine pull is to throw on Turbos and all the other related goodies.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Bakadesu

Would this be covered under the 6 years/ 70k power train warranty? My original warranty is about to expire and I might be having this issue.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Zod

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone gotten any further updates on this oil consumption problem? I've noticed that just about 3k miles after my Mobil 1 synth oil change, I'm right in the middle of the L and H marks on the oil meter. (tested on cold engine). Went to the dealer and brought the printed TSB with me and of course they are playing hardball and using mods against me (have resonated HFC).

I actually had gone in for a more serious problem I have right now, the oil problem was secondary. All my dashboard warning lights are on, power steering not working, GPS freezes and car won't even turn off on push (have to hold power button). This all happened out of the blue and cannot find anything similar on Google about it.

Not an expert but is this sensor related or electrical? (Car starts up fine). I did notice the oil consumption problem is related to the engine and that it can potentially cause further problems with sensors and emissions, that is why I brought it up as well.

Any pointers are much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM
IcemanVQ37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE, 5MT. And I was having the oil burning/cosumption for years. I would in 5qt and when it came time to change the oil only 3, sometimes less would come out. I changed it every 5K miles using Mobil 1 5W 30. If the 2013 Infiniti G37 still has the same issue...wow, I wonder if there is a fix for this. Any update?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 PM
1986zxt

First post on the forum. I am considering buying a used G37. Was aware of the consumption issue so was sure there was going to be a thread on this issue. Any advice?

Quick Reply: [TSB] G37 Oil consumption ITB10-048