TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

[TSB] G37 Oil consumption ITB10-048

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by shabbo
I have my 1000 mile check in a few days and my advisor also mentioned that according to TSB a new engine is probably the case

i wonder:

How clean of a job is this?
What parts of the engine are retained?
are cables spliced in the process?
are there gaskets that are manually cleaned and resealed by local techs?
missing clips, and cable/hose routings, bolts, torque, loctite etc etc?
Whats replaced all depends, I had this on my 04 350Z the only replaced the short block( Keep the heads and intake). Most of the time this is the case unless you had valves damaged due to low oil.. They wont know till they get int there. Alos takes like a week-10 days.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by shabbo
I have my 1000 mile check in a few days and my advisor also mentioned that according to TSB a new engine is probably the case

i wonder:

How clean of a job is this?
What parts of the engine are retained?
are cables spliced in the process?
are there gaskets that are manually cleaned and resealed by local techs?
missing clips, and cable/hose routings, bolts, torque, loctite etc etc?
The bulletin states a "long engine"
Which is engine with heads. Intake and exhaust get swapped.
I spoke with the SM at the dealer, it takes one day to do a swap, once the engine arrives.

The engine in a G37 is relatively easy to replace.
The front subframe gets dropped with the engine still mounted.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Calgarywinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, it's been 2 weeks since I took the '09 Vert for the fix (short Block) and I'm getting the following from the Dealer:
Week 1: Installed short engine but found Valve actuators defective, waiting for new electronic actuators.
Week 2: Swapped Valve actuators but can't start engine, problem referred to Nissan for help.
Week 3 (starting today): Hope to have the car done by tomorrow.
The Dealer has been absolutely first class through the whole process, had the seat belts replaced (did not retract) while they're working on the engine and they gave me a brand new Sedan to play with for the duration.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Calgarywinger

Week 3 of the continuing saga:
Drove to the dealership to look at the car and what a sad sight that was. Hanging off a lift, wheels off, all the covers off the engine, intakes off, wires sticking every which way, parts laying on the floor and on shelves all around the lift.
Service Tech told me that they couldn't start the car after doing the short block swap. The engine will crank over no problem but will not fire up. The Tech checked every wire, every connection, the entire fuel system. He called InfinitiHelp (which he calls a waste of skin) and they recommended to swap the ECM. So now we're waiting for an ECM.
The reason he hates InfinitiHelp is because at every step of this rebuild he was told to re-use as many parts from the original engine, while the documentation from Nissan recommends to install new parts, ex: Valve actuators.
I asked him if I will end up with a reliable car after all this work or can I expect weird things to happen, in which case I'll trade this '09 for a new '12. He looked at me and said that this car will be the most reliable G37 in history as he had to take so many bits apart, check them out and either re-install to spec or replace.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
What could you do if you suspect oil consumption, but VIN isn't within the ones identified in TSB?

Last edited by redrover23; 06-13-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
jsweaz

I have an 09 G37S 6MT Vert and had the oil consumption issue from day one. At 7000 miles the dealership determined that the upper cam shaft sprocket failed and needed to be replaced. Car was out of service for 5 days. At 8000 miles brought the car in for the 1000 mile oil consumption test. It failed. The dealership did a short-block replacement and the car was out of service for 29 days. The car now has 21000 miles on it and again is having an oil consumption issue. Last oil change was only 2000 miles ago and there was only 1 quart of oil left in the engine. Will need to bring the car back in 1000 miles to do another oil consumption test. Dealership thinks it will fail again. When the first engine failed I begged consumer affairs to authroize a long block replacement, but they would only authorize a short block. Greg Zloch at Infiniti consumer affairs was absolutely no help whatsoever. I had to threaten the lemon law in order to get an extended warranty and a maintenance plan (they only authorized the minimal maintenance plan). He didn't even follow up with me to find out how the repairs went. This time I'm dealing with Jacinta Pederson at Nissan Corporate. So far she is doing a very good job in keeping me informed of what is going on. I flat out told Infiniti that I want a replacement vehicle or for them to purchase this car back. I no longer love/trust this car. There is something terribly wrong when a $50,000+ vehicle requires two engine rebuilds/replacements in 20,000 miles!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Calgarywinger

Originally Posted by jsweaz
The dealership did a short-block replacement and the car was out of service for 29 days.
I can beat that:
Took the car in May 21 for the short block replacement and finaly got it back on July 29.
During that time they replaced the short block but managed to F/U the valve actuators.
They replaced the actuators and F/U the ECU.
It took Nissan over a month to get a replacement ECU.
Now, if the car still uses oil I'll just add as required or use a thicker oil, but I will never let these guys change an engine again.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM
jsweaz

Originally Posted by Calgarywinger
I can beat that:
Took the car in May 21 for the short block replacement and finaly got it back on July 29.
During that time they replaced the short block but managed to F/U the valve actuators.
They replaced the actuators and F/U the ECU.
It took Nissan over a month to get a replacement ECU.
Now, if the car still uses oil I'll just add as required or use a thicker oil, but I will never let these guys change an engine again.
Gee... Thanks Calgarywinger. I feel MUCH better now!

Did you happen to get Infiniti Corporate involved?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Calgarywinger

You bet.
Infiniti Factory Rep, Infiniti Country VP, Nissan Factory VP (Japan)
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM
redrover23
Registered Member

Are there instances where someone got the short block replacement and the engine still consumed oil?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM
jsweaz

Originally Posted by redrover23
Are there instances where someone got the short block replacement and the engine still consumed oil?
Read my post from yesterday. My car had the short block replacement at 8000 miles and is now consuming oil. It is the situation I am going through right now and will have to bring the car back in another 750 or so miles to do an oil consumption test (which according to the TSB is a fancy way of filling the oil to the 'F' mark on the dipstick then having the customer return in 1000 miles, wait 10 minutes for the engine to cool, and recheck the oil). They make it sound like it's a special scientific test or something.

I just checked my car at 200 miles from when they filled the oil up and it looks to be down by about a quart already.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Read my post from yesterday. My car had the short block replacement at 8000 miles and is now consuming oil. It is the situation I am going through right now and will have to bring the car back in another 750 or so miles to do an oil consumption test (which according to the TSB is a fancy way of filling the oil to the 'F' mark on the dipstick then having the customer return in 1000 miles, wait 10 minutes for the engine to cool, and recheck the oil). They make it sound like it's a special scientific test or something.

I just checked my car at 200 miles from when they filled the oil up and it looks to be down by about a quart already.
It sounds like Infiniti doesn't know what the root cause is. I suspect my car consumes oil as well. I'm actually in the midst of performing their test myself. I'm not sure what to do, continue to add oil and enjoy the car OR part out and sell it.

I thought they tie everything off when they perform the test, so the owner cant check it without tampering with ties/chalk marks/etc.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Calgarywinger

Originally Posted by redrover23
I thought they tie everything off when they perform the test, so the owner cant check it without tampering with ties/chalk marks/etc.
No, just like jsweaz said, they just check the level at stated intervals. The TSB, which I printed, has very precise instructions on how to check the oil consumption using a small metric ruler which they lay alongside the dipstick and mark the level in milimeters on the check sheet. Some of the factors used in evaluating whether oil consumption is excessive are how many miles you have, what kind of oil you use, and so on. Once they have the readings spread over 3000 miles (from oil change to oil change) they submit the results to Infiniti who then decides if you get a short block replacement.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
jsweaz

Here's an update on my situation... I received a call from Infiniti corporate last week from a completely new person. At first I was thinking... oh great... they are passing me off to someone else. It turns out that they are going to replace the entire car for me this time... which they should do. What is ironic is that when I received the call from Infiniti corporate, the car was in the shop for a completely different issue (convertible top not operating properly). I'm relieved to hear that Infiniti is admitting that there's something wrong with this car. There are a few things that need to be worked out first, and I have a feeling I'm going to end up fighting to get the spoiler off of my 2009 installed onto the 2011. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:46 PM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's an update on my situation... I received a call from Infiniti corporate last week from a completely new person. At first I was thinking... oh great... they are passing me off to someone else. It turns out that they are going to replace the entire car for me this time... which they should do. What is ironic is that when I received the call from Infiniti corporate, the car was in the shop for a completely different issue (convertible top not operating properly). I'm relieved to hear that Infiniti is admitting that there's something wrong with this car. There are a few things that need to be worked out first, and I have a feeling I'm going to end up fighting to get the spoiler off of my 2009 installed onto the 2011. I'll keep you posted.
Any updates? Did you end up getting a 2011?

Quick Reply: [TSB] G37 Oil consumption ITB10-048